PDA

View Full Version : New mandolin concept

amori
Feb-23-2015, 3:05am
I dabble in non-standard violin and guitar design, mainly for one-off builds, I did a mandolin a few years ago and it is now time for another, this is the concept ...

https://www.pinterest.com/murraykuun/murray-kuun-guitar-design/

trevor
Feb-23-2015, 3:11am
I like the design, acoustic or electric?

amori
Feb-23-2015, 3:53am
i like the design, acoustic or electric?

acoustic

Pete Jenner
Feb-23-2015, 6:10am
What's the top wood?

Bertram Henze
Feb-23-2015, 6:15am
Are those sharp cutting edges hollow, i.e. part of the resonant body volume, or are they massive sides of a more conventionally shaped body?

Bill Snyder
Feb-23-2015, 7:19am
I have seen photos of several of Murray's guitars at the Musical Instrument Maker's Forum. He has quite an I for unique designs that seem to work. This should be interesting in a good way.

Paul Busman
Feb-23-2015, 8:57am
All of your stuff is very cool looking. You're certainly not afraid to think out of the box. I'd love to hear the mando.

Denman John
Feb-23-2015, 9:21am
Looks like a nice comfy leg rest for those that like to play seated :mandosmiley:

JEStanek
Feb-23-2015, 9:32am
It looks pretty cool. It would be neat to hear it.

Jamie

Randi Gormley
Feb-23-2015, 11:27am
Are those side ports?
(add -- sorry, forgot to say what a cool looking mandolin that is!)

billhay4
Feb-23-2015, 11:28am
Nice design work. I look forward to seeing and hearing it.
Bill

Steve VandeWater
Feb-23-2015, 12:09pm
Very cool. I've not seen anything like it before.

Charles E.
Feb-23-2015, 6:34pm
Very cool. This has not been built, right? This is just the concept drawing?

Ivan Kelsall
Feb-24-2015, 4:10am
IMHO it looks exquisite !!!!. It really is a piece of sculpture as much as a musical instrument. If you can build it to sound as good as it looks,then it should be awesome, & i'm already envious of any future owner. I can't imagine any Bluegrass mandolin player taking it out on stage (although !),but if it was 'voiced' for Jazz it would look & sound right at home - glorious !,& it has my favourite fingerboard inlay as well,
Ivan:disbelief:

Tobin
Feb-24-2015, 8:46am
Very interesting concept, in a functionally-pragmatic kind of way. The cutout looks like it's perfect for resting on a leg, and I dig the AR-15 style carry handle. :))

Marty Jacobson
Feb-24-2015, 12:23pm
If you get around to building it, I would be happy to discuss some details with you. In the design of an acoustic mandolin, there are some critical geometry details which can very greatly affect the tonal qualities of the final design. I can give you numbers for neck angle, etc. which are likely to set you on the right path.
Also, forget about using maple for the top, it is not a good idea (EDIT: now having seen your work, I presume you are well aware of this). Curly redwood works, though, if the geometry is right.