PDA

View Full Version : Home Made Braided Strap

Rick Crenshaw
Feb-22-2015, 12:59pm
I had a friend call the other day asking about how I made my straps and just now got a PM requesting the same. So here goes. First I'll post a few pics. That may be enough for some folks. Starting and finishing the braid is the tricky part but not hard at all once you see it. You can find instructions and videos on how to make a four strand round braid on the web. Youtube will probably have plenty. I'll look in now and then to answer questions should there be any. Buy strong leather. This strap fits in my Calton and all my cases quite easily. No large knots, no metal. It stays on my mando 24/7. Then again, a close look at my Daley will reveal I am not afraid of mojo!
First up, a pic of the overall look of the strap on my Daley.

Rick Crenshaw
Feb-22-2015, 1:06pm
Next, images of the scroll loop and the ending tie off. Notice I just used one of the four strands and tied a slip knot such that it tightens as you are pulling on the strap side. This way it never loosens up. If it ever breaks (I've used this same piece for over seven years!) I'll just use another strand.

Rick Crenshaw
Feb-22-2015, 1:24pm
I just searched 'four strand round braid' on YouTube. There were tons of videos. This one seemed good.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLjs_MeGNpo
Be aware that you can make a diamond pattern braid or a spiral braid with four strand round braids, so look for that if you have a preference.

Tommcgtx
Feb-22-2015, 8:25pm
I'll add this to the mix too. It's a dog leash tutorial, but can be used for a strap.

http://myriam.dakotabraiding.com/Tutorials/Leash/Leash.html

Dan Krhla
Feb-22-2015, 8:47pm
Just change it in your head to DAWG leash and it's all good. Any suggestions on where to get leather?

Tommcgtx
Feb-22-2015, 9:10pm
Just change it in your head to DAWG leash and it's all good. Any suggestions on where to get leather?

I purchased mine at Tandy Leather, but there are lots of online sources.

kkmm
Jun-23-2015, 10:47pm
I bought a leather belt, about 1/2 inch wide. And turns it into a F-style mandolin strap. The strap end that goes into the end pin has a hole cut clean. The other end goes around the scroll.
All the metal parts of this belt are removed as they are not needed and avoid them to scratch the mandolin's finish.