PDA

View Full Version : MAS related

Ddd
Feb-19-2015, 4:36pm
I received my first mandolin thru "operation happy note" while deployed. A new Kentucky 630 . I was medically retired in 2011 due to injury. I also acquired a mandobird since that time.
The problem I have now is most of the music stores in my area don't really carry mandolin. Sure they carry very low end mandolins. I hesitate to buy online due to I'm unable to hear how they sound and play.
I've been looking at early gibbons online, most within my price range (1000 to 1500) have been repaired or needs repair. Once again the sound is the issues.
I know that other people have the same issues. I don't have the funds to take the gamble on buying online

mandroid
Feb-19-2015, 5:04pm
I've Bought off the classifieds Here , you and the seller can communicate back and forth until both are Comfortable .

Paddle head A's are within your 1,5K$ range.

Clement Barrera-Ng
Feb-19-2015, 5:09pm
I've also bought most of my mandos in the last few years online (I lost count so quite a few). Even in a big city like San Diego CA, there are very, very few stores that even know what a mandolin is. The gamble isn't as great as you may afraid it would be, esp. if you use the classifieds here. First research the mando you want to buy, and make sure the seller ofters a money back return policy. When you return, you will be out postages both ways, but it is a relatively small price to pay to be able to get a mandolin that's not normally available in your area. Best of luck, and thank you for your service.

Tobin
Feb-19-2015, 5:27pm
I've been looking at early gibbons online

Be careful buying gibbons online. If they survive shipping, they may be very angry when you open the box. :grin:

Jim Garber
Feb-19-2015, 5:47pm
If you buy from a reputable dealer, they will give you an approval period to check the mandolin out and see if you like it (usualy 48 hours). The only catch is if you don't like it you have to ship it back and pay the cost of that shipping.

Josh Levine
Feb-19-2015, 5:57pm
Guitar Center has plenty of used Gibbons in their online inventory. They charge like 20 bucks or something for shipping and have a 30 day trial period. You can return them to any Guitar Center too.

DataNick
Feb-19-2015, 6:07pm
To the OP (Ddd),

I think you mean Gibson mandolins, or Givens?

Anyway you can get a nice Gibson used oval or f-hole A model mandolin in your price range. As others have said the Cafe classifieds are very good, Guitar Center can be good with their used inventory, and the Cafe sponsors that sell used instruments are another great resource.

Thanks for your service and happy mando hunting!

pheffernan
Feb-19-2015, 6:10pm
Guitar Center has plenty of used Gibbons in their online inventory. They charge like 20 bucks or something for shipping and have a 30 day trial period. You can return them to any Guitar Center too.

Guitar Center shrinks the approval period to 72 hours for vintage instruments.

Pick&Grin
Feb-19-2015, 6:25pm
I'm in a similar boat, Ddd. Live in an area where music stores carry cheap-o brands and was hoping to upgrade from my KM630 (too!). Did truckloads of research and decided that I wanted a Collings MTO and was planning on making 6-hr pilgrimage to the nearest true mandolin store (Elderly) this summer to try some out.

But after scanning the classifieds on here as a side-hobby, I found an MTO that was much cheaper than I intended to pay and jumped on it. Couldn't be happier with either the instrument or working with the seller. This won't be true for every experience, but for what it's worth, if there is a 48hr+ return policy, and you're buying with Paypal, it might be worth considering an internet purchase. Scary, yes (I'm no daddy Warbucks, either), but maybe bide your time, look at the options, scan, and I hope you land a mando that's right for you. And thank you for your service.

Jackgaryk
Feb-19-2015, 6:32pm
Thanks for your service Ddd. Haven't heard of 'Operation Happy Note". What a great idea. Looks like you are getting some good advice here....Good luck on your search.

GKWilson
Feb-19-2015, 7:26pm
gibbons = Gibsons
mangos = mandos
Spellcheckese. :grin:

darrylicshon
Feb-19-2015, 7:34pm
I have bought off the classified here and had good luck , but take your time, save more money , do a lot of research and something will show up

Ddd
Feb-20-2015, 5:54pm
Sorry, the auto- correct was on and it changed the word

DataNick
Feb-20-2015, 6:30pm
No worries Ddd, it's all good!