PDA

View Full Version : Bill Monroe and Lester Flatt interview

mando1man
Feb-18-2015, 11:31am
This clip has been floating around the internet for years but it sure was good to hear it again.

FJ99AR4xFRw

Ivan Kelsall
Feb-19-2015, 3:56am
I've had that clip on my PC for ages now - one of the funniest things i've heard in years.The more ''Bill Monroe'' gets agitated,the more laid back 'Lester' gets. I can't remember who it is that takes Bill Monroe's part,but it's un-nervingly real - terrific !!,
Ivan:))

Tim W
Feb-19-2015, 6:38am
I've had that clip on my PC for ages now - one of the funniest things i've heard in years.The more ''Bill Monroe'' gets agitated,the more laid back 'Lester' gets. I can't remember who it is that takes Bill Monroe's part,but it's un-nervingly real - terrific !!,
Ivan:))

Bill is done by Glenn Duncan, Flatt, I don't know. A lot of folks could do Lester real good, Gene Wooten among them but I don't know who this one is.

Timbofood
Feb-19-2015, 7:07am
I love that bit, I needed something to make me laugh before I go out and blow more snow! Wind chill of -14!

Skip Kelley
Feb-19-2015, 7:38am
It sounds like the voice of DJ Lance Husky is Ronnie McCoury.

Randy Linam
Feb-19-2015, 9:21am
THAT WAS A HOOT! I don't have any idea who the voices were, but even without the pictures I could see Bill and Lester thru the whole thing.

AlanN
Feb-19-2015, 9:53am
Nineteen hundred and thirty nine

Ronnie M was 'Lance'

mando1man
Feb-19-2015, 9:55am
Charlie Vaughn is Lester. Jimmy Capps is the announcer.

MikeEdgerton
Feb-19-2015, 9:59am
It pops up on the cafe every few years and it's always enjoyable.

AlanN
Feb-19-2015, 10:00am
I see Skip beat me to it.

Rob, another thread is talking about that fancy F-5 Butch had. Was it white or maple colored, and do you know where it is today?

mando1man
Feb-19-2015, 10:48am
That Florentine mandolin that Butch had was white, but with age it might have yellowed a bit. It was for sale at Gruhn's for years. If George sold it, I don't know where it went. When Butch had it he had promo photos and CD covers taken with it. And for a while in the 1990s it was in the Country Music Hall of Fame. It didn't really sound that good, the finish was thick. When Butch was trying to sell it I took photos of it. Not many people had digital cameras back then. We called it the "Elvis" mandolin and the "Porter Wagoner" model.

AlanN
Feb-19-2015, 11:35am
Thanks, remember seeing it in the flesh (I think), didn't it have some sort of decal/coat of arms painted on the back, too?

Here it is? http://guitars.com/archived-inventory/GibFlorMando/MF7313.html

mando1man
Feb-19-2015, 11:54am
Yes. I found the pics.

Spruce
Feb-19-2015, 12:29pm
Florentine Schlmorintine...

I wanna know who has Lester's Flying V?

Ivan Kelsall
Feb-20-2015, 4:20am
Skip - ''Lance Husky'' is certainly Ronnie McCoury. I've often thought that if i ever met Ronnie,i'd approach him,shake his hand & say ''Very nice to meet you Mr Husky'',just to see his expression.
I read somewhere ages ago,that the 'Florentine' mandolin was one of Greg Rich's / Jim Triggs recipies that they cooked up while working in the Gibson custom shop. I just found the reference to it :- http://guitars.com/archived-inventory/GibFlorMando/MF7313.html
Ivan;)