PDA

View Full Version : New Morris Flattop

Scottie James
Feb-18-2015, 7:50am
Hello All,
Newbie player here who's been lurking for a while. Been playing guitar and bass for years and years, but didn't really get the bug until this past September when someone gave me a cheap 'Maestro' to noodle on. After fighting that thing for the last couple of months, I decided I wanted an affordable American made mandolin. I've always liked supporting the 'little guy', so after much research I purchased an A-style flattop from Howard Morris out of Oregon. Wonderful instrument! It's cedar topped/maple back and sides, and has a radiused ebony fretboard which makes it a breeze to play! The headstock is made of a rather unique looking Russian Olive wood which is quite different (in a good way) looking.
Very open and airy with great sustain, perfect for the celtic/folk/blues I'm learning on it, and it is louder than I thought it would be. Once it really opens up it will sound unreal.
Here's a few pics:130845130846130847130848130849

Mark Wilson
Feb-18-2015, 8:05am
Really sweet looking oval! I like the dark burst finish. Enjoy

spufman
Feb-18-2015, 8:52am
That's a beauty. The Morris flattops seem to be an incredibly good value. Enjoy yourself!

Ron McMillan
Feb-18-2015, 10:48am
That is handsome. Enjoy it :)

jazzjune18
Feb-18-2015, 12:10pm
I can't rant enough about how much I like my Morris f hole. Worth every penny

Jackgaryk
Feb-18-2015, 12:33pm
very nice. btw...I can't find his website. would like to get some more info on the morris mandolins.

Mark Wilson
Feb-18-2015, 12:42pm
I think he might use facebook for that.

GKWilson
Feb-18-2015, 1:59pm
Sonny makes some very nice mandolins.
I've always liked the stark beauty of his F4's especially.
Digging the new logo too. Very classy.
Gary

Scottie James
Feb-18-2015, 6:10pm
very nice. btw...I can't find his website. would like to get some more info on the morris mandolins.
I actually purchased this through the classifieds here. He does have a Facebook page, but no website that I know of. I read as much information on the web as I could find about him and his instruments. I didn't like anything I could find locally that I could afford, so I gave him a call. After just a few minutes of speaking to him and his wife (who initially answered the phone), I just had a real good feeling about purchasing from him, so I went for it, sight unseen. I couldn't be happier! QUALITY instrument with EXCELLENT playability and tone that will age wonderfully I'm sure. He gives a 48hr trial period, but it took me about 4.8 seconds of having it out of the case to know I wouldn't be sending it back. I admit I am a newbie to mandolins, and don't claim to be an expert, but I've been playing music for almost 30 years, own both mid and high end guitars, and this ranks right up there with them in workmanship, fit and finish. I wanted this purchase to be American made and I wanted to support a small builder. If you're looking for some of the same criteria, you need to check out his work.

frobozz
Oct-16-2015, 2:23pm
Just ran across this thread, and this week acquired a lightly used Morris flattop that is almost identical to this one, although the headstock has some very pretty rosewood laid over it as opposed to the olive wood used above.

I'd echo your thoughts about it. It is LOUD -- way louder than my knockabout Washburn oval hole -- and it has stunning sustain. The tone is very balanced and not very 'tubby,' in part because the body isn't very big and that undoubtedly affects the bottom end, but it still has that oval hole thing going on. Just a well-made piece of gear. I'll probably add a pickup and use it as a stage mandolin -- I'm primarily a harmonica player in rootsy bands and use the mando to add another voice to some songs. (I also have a Loar LM-520 that I bought as a blem, and it also is an excellent buy for when you're looking for that F-hole tone.)

PH-Mando
Oct-17-2015, 7:01am
Well made flat tops are great sounding instruments! Thank you for supporting the local small builders. Enjoy your beautiful mandolin.