PDA

View Full Version : Easy way to practice at night without upsetting the neighbours

Darren Bailey
Feb-18-2015, 7:30am
Just by accident I was standing in front of my open Travellite case and the sound was substantially muffled by the padding. The mandolin sounded horrible, but standing even closer I discovered it made an instant sound dampening device. Perfect when the neighbours (or wife) have had enough.

Bren
Feb-18-2015, 8:03am
I have a sound-dampening device that fits (just) under my shirt. The great thing is that it seems to get more effective the more beer I drink.

tkdboyd
Feb-18-2015, 8:45am
I have used the excuse of not bothering neighbors, sleeping wife and daughter, to buy an electric mandolin and violin, never would have thought it, but the solid body violin still needs a bridge mute.

bigskygirl
Feb-18-2015, 2:10pm
Fold a piece of cloth and slip under strings in front of bridge.

Eddie Sheehy
Feb-18-2015, 2:17pm
I practice on an Epi VIII Mandobird unplugged...

OldSausage
Feb-18-2015, 3:35pm
I had to buy a house that was detached from my neighbors by at least a dozen yards on each side. Expensive, to be sure, but worth every penny. Now, of course, my wife and kid expect to live there too, dammit.

mandroid
Feb-18-2015, 5:14pm
drapery and soft wall hangings dampen treble pitches well .. and mandolin is all treble pitches..

Playing into an empty solid desk Music stand works to hear Myself better reflecting,
in a deadened to please the neighbors Room.

but yes like David I now have a half lot between mine my neighbor's houses.

my friend, a concert piano guy, rebuilt his garage with an inner room and a foot of airspace between It and the outside , with 2 doors to also open .. for each door,

He can practice and hammer out, Tchaikovsky , the loud parts , at Midnight ..

Timbofood
Feb-18-2015, 5:18pm
To hell with the neighbors! My wife goes to bed, I have my whole band in my back room close the inside door, no complaints. Even in summer and playing out on the patio, I get no complaints and my banjo player is LOUD!
Of course the nice thing to do is offer the neighbors a cocktail and have everyone have some fun.

Meadowview
Feb-18-2015, 6:11pm

Sweetpea44
Feb-18-2015, 9:19pm
I have an electric that I practice quietly on.

Randy Smith
Feb-18-2015, 9:51pm
Neither the fiddle or the mandolin has ever been a problem or my neighbor. One of my two cats, who I've had for a few years now, can't stand the fiddle live or recorded. Using one of those heavy mutes helps much of the time, and fortunately that cat likes to go out even in cold weather.

rubydubyr
Feb-18-2015, 10:16pm
I had to buy a house that was detached from my neighbors by at least a dozen yards on each side. Expensive, to be sure, but worth every penny. Now, of course, my wife and kid expect to live there too, dammit.

lol

Jackgaryk
Feb-18-2015, 11:02pm
I have a "ELECA" mandolin. you couldn't hear the thing with a stethoscope. great for practice though. :)) it was a gift and I do appreciate it.

KGreene
Feb-18-2015, 11:22pm
I have a sound-dampening device that fits (just) under my shirt. The great thing is that it seems to get more effective the more beer I drink.

I have that same device!!;)

Astro
Feb-18-2015, 11:25pm
If you stayed up playing with your neighbor's wife all night, would your mandolin be upset ?

So why should the reverse be true ?

Turn about fair play I always say.

nickster60
Feb-18-2015, 11:47pm
If you fold up a dollar bill and thread between the strings it will muffle it pretty well, it works on violins also.

William Smith
Feb-19-2015, 12:10am
Hey at least its not shooting off pistols etc.. in the middle of the night, I've been know to do that one!!!!!!!Nothing like the smell of gunpowder in the "morning" or hell at "night"

zedmando
Feb-19-2015, 2:38am
I practice on an Epi VIII Mandobird unplugged...

Same here--And if I want to use an amp I use one with headphones.

Mark Wilson
Feb-19-2015, 8:08am
I bought a mandobird IV to play unplugged late at night. Just not the same feel and I always ended up playing bends and blues riffs.

I mostly use my right palm to mute when I play late.

rubydubyr
Feb-19-2015, 9:02am
When I play late at night, I go out on the patio, turn on the lights, and play as loudly as possible. When I'm feeling especially obnoxious, I also bring my collie out who is somewhat agoraphobic and therefore barks continuously while outside. My neighbors love me for it! ;)

bigskygirl
Feb-19-2015, 10:26am
This thread reminds me of the time I played trumpet for the middle school band, mom used to send me out in the back yard to practice.....hmmmm

rubydubyr
Feb-19-2015, 10:46am
I'm sure your neighbors loved you and your mom as much as mine adore me! :)

jaycat
Feb-19-2015, 12:09pm
I practice on the Williamsburg Bridge. Just me and Sonny Rollins, very mellow.

zedmando
Feb-20-2015, 2:09am
I always ended up playing bends and blues riffs.

You say that like it's a bad thing...

Mark Wilson
Feb-20-2015, 8:12am
You say that like it's a bad thing...

Not at all. :) I think the technical term is noodling. If scales and such are 'eat your veggies' then noodling would be some sort of candy.

zedmando
Feb-21-2015, 3:22am
Not at all. :) I think the technical term is noodling. If scales and such are 'eat your veggies' then noodling would be some sort of candy.

Even though in a group setting I am more inclined (And enjoy it more) t play the part of a rhythm instrument (Rhythm guitar or bass for example), leave me alone with an instrument--any instrument--I'll noodle on it...

Bertram Henze
Feb-21-2015, 3:33am
electric (ultralight traveller guitar, customized to be played like a TG) + headphone amp here. It's especially useful for travelling, hotel rooms etc.

I have a device like Bren has, but it does not work with my OM (not enough beer, I guess).