PDA

View Full Version : Teen's A Pickguard....leave on or take off?

mandopaul
Feb-16-2015, 11:42pm
Wanted to know if many of you who own a teen's A with a functioning pickguard, do you have a preference for or without it on?

Also another question: I have had this mando worked on & had the brace reglued. There is still a small indentation around the bridge feet ends that I can feel, and see. I don't think this is the top sinking - since its only around the bridge feet ends - or is it? The arch still looks good in the center.

tree
Feb-17-2015, 8:59am
I have a 1921 A2 with a pickguard in great shape.

I generally leave the pickguard on the mandolin, but I take it off to adjust the bridge (to access the treble thumbwheel) or to change strings/clean the mandolin.

I always give the whole mandolin a good cleaning with an old t-shirt whenever I change strings, and I keep it in the case when I'm not playing it.

Won't be much help with the other question, sorry.

Ken Waltham
Feb-17-2015, 10:43am
I always leave them on. They are functional, protect the instrument, and I use them as sort of a landmark guide for my right hand. Contrary to some belief, they do not mute the sound of your mandolin. I think Gibsons look incomplete without them.

JeffD
Feb-17-2015, 10:47am
If the instrument comes with a pick guard, I leave it on.

Ray(T)
Feb-17-2015, 10:53am
Personally, I prefer them on but I thought the usual question was how to get them off. A luthier friend of mine 'phoned a couple of years ago to ask me how to do this!

Capt. E
Feb-17-2015, 12:18pm
Taking them off can actually damage the instrument. The nails fastening it to the neck can be a bitch to remove. Unless the celluloid is rotting, leave it on.

spufman
Feb-17-2015, 12:45pm
I recently bought a 1918 A1 with guard but missing the clamp. So I very slowly and carefully took it off without incident. I prefer not having a guard anyway, though they do look cool on the old Gibsons. Mine is currently in for a brace gluing and a few other minor things. It also has indents at the feet, which I think is probably common with or without sink. Mine has minor sink, though the side-to-side arch is still strong and symmetrical.

mandroid
Feb-18-2015, 4:45pm
I've Added finger rests on mandolins that Lacked them.

and repaired the piece that rotted away around the Pin into the side of the fingerboard .
in order to make the pickguard on my '22 A be whole again .

jaycat
Feb-19-2015, 9:21am
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkpGM_MvZ2Y

journeybear
Feb-19-2015, 10:08am
My first mandolin came with a pickguard. I took it off because it wouldn't stop rattling. I couldn't get the clamp to tighten enough. The mandolin is now long gone, but I still have the pickguard - all that is left of the instrument that changed my life. Neither of my current mandolins have one, and Molly, my companion for nearly six years, has a fair amount of damage right where the pickguard would have been. Now, on the one hand, this cosmetic damage is probably a key factor in how I came to acquire it, as no one was bidding on it and I got it at a reasonable price, so I'm grateful. On the other hand, Molly does look a bit underdressed without it. Next time I'm up north I may well dig it out and see if I can sort out the problem with the clamp. The only thing is, my other A model might get jealous, and give me the eye until I get her one, too. I see them now and then on eBay but I think they're usually overpriced. I may be forced to pony up for one though. These mandolins can be very demanding when they are so inclined. ;)

Scott C.
Feb-20-2015, 12:48am
I would not take it off. They are there to protect the top!!!

lenf12
Feb-22-2015, 10:53am
Leave it on or risk the damage Andy wreaked on his "snake".

Len B.
Clearwater, FL