PDA

View Full Version : L.a.

Marc Woodward
Feb-16-2015, 9:31am
Heading over to L.A. and area for a week in beginning of March.

Anything I should check out round there?
Interesting music venues, jams, vintage instrument stores?

Not sure if I'll be taking an instrument with me though...guess I could if there are any opportunities to play,

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Marc

Ron McMillan
Feb-16-2015, 10:06pm
Ooooh, envy! I advise you not to take an instrument, and instead carry several thousand dollars. Then, if you spot something to 'tide you over', you can snap it up. :-)

DataNick
Feb-17-2015, 5:24am
If you're into bluegrass check out SWBA's website' there's a couple of weekly jams, good players to connect with as well http://www.s-w-b-a.com/ If you're here around March 21-22, there's a good bluegrass festival in Temecula (just south of LA)

Weather wise it just started cooling off from 80s to 70s...oh well, nothing last forever...

mtucker
Feb-17-2015, 8:57am
Hi Marc,

Don't know where you're staying but depending on what you're in to, you can most likely find it here...Mucho vintage guitar shops up on Sunset Blvd, Voltage guitars, Mesa Boogie etc., also a sizable live music scene on Sunset.. Roxy, House of Blues, Viper Room and many more.

Catch the double decker (open) bus and hop on and off all day as you please, so long as you keep your ticket…this will give you a good look at the area which sprawls considerably, Mann's Chinese Theatre, Walk of Stars, Ripley's, The Kodak etc. It's a total freak show Hollyweird but not to be missed! :grin:

There used to be a bitchin tour called the Graveline Tour (may still be around) which wound through the Hollywood hills and Beverly Hills areas in a converted cadillac hearse…it stopped at the homes and hotels where stars, musicians etc met their maker, wild and and bizarre but totally LA.

Vintage shops of all kinds on Melrose and LaBrea, you're likely to see most anyone there… Make sure to stop by the little trailer on around 5th and LaBrea for a Pink's hotdog! Downtown LA for 'LA Live', music, restaurants, jumbotron's. always something happening there from X-Games to outdoor concerts.

Oceanside stuff in Malibu, Santa Monica (make sure to stop by MCCabe's Music, rooms of instruments and very small intimate venue concerts with well-known musicians) and Venice Beach areas….great little eclectic shops, cafes and restaurants and yes, folks 'pumping iron' on the beach in Venice… Make sure to ask for 'Shaun' while in Venice…they will know him by his rep for stirring up trouble!!

Kowboy
Feb-17-2015, 4:27pm
L.a. = Lower Alabama

jefflester
Feb-17-2015, 5:30pm
Don't know where you're staying but depending on what you're in to, you can most likely find it here...Mucho vintage guitar shops up on Sunset Blvd, Voltage guitars, Mesa Boogie etc....
Voltage Guitars closed their storefront at least a couple of years ago. Freedom Guitar is long gone. Carvin store closed last year. Not so much of a "Guitar Row" anymore with just Guitar Center (have their vintage center inside), Sam Ash, Peavey, and Mesa Boogie. And Valdez if you like flamenco. I haven't been in Mesa Boogie for ages, but was under the impression they don't have much more than their own gear. Peavey shop opened only a couple of years ago, don't know much about it.

Eddie Sheehy
Feb-17-2015, 5:37pm
You're welcome to drop by my place and check out some of my instruments - you may also borrow one to pick on while you're in the L.A. area. P.M. me.

jefflester
Feb-17-2015, 6:06pm
Eddie probably has a better selection than any store in L.A. :-)

mtucker
Feb-17-2015, 6:48pm
Voltage Guitars closed their storefront at least a couple of years ago. Freedom Guitar is long gone. Carvin store closed last year. Not so much of a "Guitar Row" anymore with just Guitar Center (have their vintage center inside), Sam Ash, Peavey, and Mesa Boogie. And Valdez if you like flamenco.

Oh God, thanks for setting me straight, Jeff. ..it's been 5 years or so since i was up there … Still probably a worthwhile area Marc, if you happen there for any of the other stuff I mentioned. :disbelief:

delsbrother
Feb-18-2015, 2:06am
Which shop was the one with the greyhounds? I would always go in there and say, "Mandolins?" and the guy would shake his head and go, "Nope." Then I would take a quick peek around, pat the dog on the head, and leave - total time in shop, maybe 45-60 seconds. I may have done that 30+ times over the years. I'm guessing he's long gone, by now.

Freedom Guitar was always a hoot - they had real pawn shop stuff. I sold a bunch of my Maccaferri plastic uke collection there awhile back.

Is the mandolin repair guy still upstairs over Mesa Boogie?

CWRoyds
Feb-18-2015, 1:32pm
For sheer volume of vintage instruments, you have to go to Norman's Rare Guitars in the valley.
They have masses of instruments, mostly guitars, but they usually have a handful of interesting mandolins.
They had an old Martin mandolin that was awesome, and some interesting gibson A style mandolins.

It is not the friendliest place in the world, and you should just browse.
They will give you a price if needed, but are not generally sociable.
Amazing store though.
Their selection of vintage guitars is probably the best in Los Angeles.

randolin
Feb-18-2015, 1:59pm
I run an open jam every tuesday night in Granada Hills, a suburb near Northridge in the San Fernando Valley. More details at bluegrassjamschool.com. Lots of instruments to play if you don't bring your own.

GKWilson
Feb-18-2015, 2:31pm
Have a good time in L.A. Marc.
I'm sure you'll find plenty to do.
If you could leave a little early stop off in Bellevue [Seattle] for a day or two.
Wintergrass is Feb/26-March1. Last year was the year of the mando's.
But, there's nothing wrong with this year.
Please don't bring your three point with you.
I'm afraid if I were within a thousand miles of it my MAS would be reactivated.:grin:
Gary

Marc Woodward
Feb-19-2015, 6:54am
Hey, thanks all - some great suggestions and help! Wish I was coming for longer but its just a week.

My wife manages a rock band who are touring so she'll be over for longer, I'm just going for to the LA gig (which is actually at the Viper Rooms, Mtucker!) then hanging around LA while the band fly off to Portland for a gig (in fact she may fly up there with them so I'll be on my own for a couple days in LA which is prob when I'll do any mando related things!).

And thanks for the offer of a loan Eddie - I'll probably not bring an instrument for fear of airline inflicted injury, so you never know if I start to get withdrawal symptoms I may have to pm you ;)

Cheers all,

Marc

DataNick
Feb-19-2015, 1:22pm
...And thanks for the offer of a loan Eddie - I'll probably not bring an instrument for fear of airline inflicted injury, so you never know if I start to get withdrawal symptoms I may have to pm you ;)

Cheers all,

Marc

Hey Mark!

Eddie be Da Man! He'll hook you up!

I strongly advise that you drive down to Irvine to see him...