PDA

View Full Version : Or you could put two strings on each course...

lukmanohnz
Feb-15-2015, 8:20am
http://www.plectone.com

mandobassman
Feb-15-2015, 8:35am
Wow. You could have the sound of a 16 string mandolin.

journeybear
Feb-15-2015, 10:26am
That's a pretty scary thought. But then, imagine using this on a tiple! :disbelief:

foldedpath
Feb-15-2015, 10:47am
They should add a three plectrum version, for picking Irish jigs with one stroke.

lukmanohnz
Feb-15-2015, 1:47pm
Might be a good pick to use with this guitar...

Bertram Henze
Feb-15-2015, 2:12pm
Ready for the chainsaw tremolo...

journeybear
Feb-15-2015, 3:06pm
Might be a good pick to use with this guitar...

I don't think any pick is going to help with that guitar! :)) Can't play a guitar you can't hold. ;)

zedmando
Feb-15-2015, 11:01pm
I have and use some double picks--and I love using them--I even made some.
But this one has the picks a bit too far apart, and I like a heavier gauge--and they're a bit pricey--the ones I make don't cost much--I take a triangular pick and a regular pick and some double sided foam tape--and so a dollar or less per pick.

They're kind of overkill on double course instruments.
The one I like the best & the ones I make have corners with single picks--so you can change mid song if you want.

Timbofood
Feb-17-2015, 10:09am
Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

JeffD
Feb-17-2015, 10:58am
The distance between the two picks is an interesting parameter to mess with. In the video it is about the same as the distance between strings. What if you made the pick distance significantly smaller than the distance between strings. More of a chorus effect perhaps.

Were that to be tried on a mandolin, would you make the pick distance the same as the distance between unison strings, or would you chose the distance between courses? Very interesting. A useful innovation.

Barry Wilson
Feb-17-2015, 10:18pm
might have to experiment and make one. never considered this.

zedmando
Feb-18-2015, 2:47am
The distance between the two picks is an interesting parameter to mess with. In the video it is about the same as the distance between strings. What if you made the pick distance significantly smaller than the distance between strings. More of a chorus effect perhaps.

Were that to be tried on a mandolin, would you make the pick distance the same as the distance between unison strings, or would you chose the distance between courses? Very interesting. A useful innovation.
I like it with the picks closer together--there is a certain effect on it--with a clean sound it is similar to a double course instrument--with a dirty sound it growls a lot more--and works great on power chords on a distorted guitar.
I have tried my double picks (See below & I also made some) on my mandolin (& on my 12 string guitar)--its a bit of overkill--but could work for some stuff, maybe.
I like this one with the single corners so you can play with a double pick or a single pick--my homemade ones have the same option.

might have to experiment and make one. never considered this.
They are cool--try it--and have fun.

This is not my actual pick--but one I found online--I have the same kind (&brand) of pick, except it is black.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v31/cflstampman/pick.png

kkmm
Feb-19-2015, 11:53am
might have to experiment and make one. never considered this
I will certainly experiment with this on a guitar by home making it, look quite simple
If it makes it sounds like a mandocello, that would be great.

zedmando
Feb-20-2015, 3:11am
The ones I made were simple to make and were based on the idea of the one I posted a picture of--but a bit simpler.
I tired different combinations of gauges & I used Dunlop tortex picks--but use what ever gauge(s) you like and whatever brand.

To make them I get a triangle pick and a standard shaped pick.
In my case I used a slightly thinner pick for the triangle.
I then took double sided foam tape (not thick foam either.)
I cut a square a bit smaller than the width of the standard shape pick and then put the tape between the two picks with the standard pick tip sticking out slightly so it was offset.
Then you pick with the triangle pick hitting the string first.
Of course you can use it the other way around for a double pick on the upstroke.
You can also use the corners for single picking.