PDA

View Full Version : Strange session last night

derbex
Feb-14-2015, 12:11pm
at my local the session last night was 2 nickelharpers one of whom also had a squeezebox, 1 violin and a lady with a bassoon, oboe, medieval pipes (never seen those before) and assorted whistles -oh and a jig doll (http://www.eatmt.org.uk/jigdolls.htm) came along too. I had my bowl back because my flatback is being fettled.

Only one tune I knew all night, and I missed that because I was sharing music with one of the nickelharpists?

catmandu2
Feb-14-2015, 12:52pm
Sounds like a nuevo medieval session ;) - that I would enjoy. I have a big bag of tricks including accordians, harps, dulcimers, fiddle...the accordion being the odd modern duck. I was at one time learning the tunes on oboe.. Nickelharpa still among the most evocative of stringed instrument sounds...that resonance is irresistible for me - leads me back into older forms, aesthetics

I've been on the lookout for another "limberjack" - I had one made by a local luthier, but gave it to one of my nephews. Not only have I been promising my kids one, but I've recently had the urge to deploy one when I entertain...small and portable is most desirable.

Jim Garber
Feb-14-2015, 1:28pm
What kinds of music were you playing? I would assume at least some Swedish. BTW I usually see it spelled nyckelharpa.

derbex
Feb-14-2015, 3:15pm
Quite a mix of music, there were some Swedish tunes, some traditional English (including Mount Hills), Air on a G string (that was the woodwind section), a Breton tune or two, a piece of Tchaikovsky and 'Bridge over troubled Water' for the crowd. Of two :)

Nice pub (http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g612466-d2184311-Reviews-The_Viper-Ingatestone_Essex_England.html) too.

Quite right about the spelin Jim.

So a Jig Doll is a LimberJack (http://youtu.be/19f9Tsc6JiI) :cool:

JeffD
Feb-14-2015, 3:40pm
I love nyckelharpa. They look absurd but sound beautiful.

Jim Garber
Feb-14-2015, 4:23pm
I run a pretty standard old time session at a farm near our house about and hour or so north of New York City. We generally play std OT repertoire but we do have some occasional visits and have no problem with oddball instruments. If I could actually play anything on the nyckelharpa I have on loan, I prob would -- mostly stick to fiddle, guitar or mandolin.

OTOH we have had a few harpists show up and we encourage them to play as well. We often have a uke or two and a harmonica-paying friend of mine has been threatening to show up.

Beanzy
Feb-14-2015, 5:56pm
Vicky Swan & Jonny Dyer live in Essex, I wouldn't be surprised if it was her or a couple of pupils if not.

FLATROCK HILL
Feb-14-2015, 6:23pm
-oh and a jig doll (http://www.eatmt.org.uk/jigdolls.htm) came along too.

I don't know how common those jig dolls are in the UK, but I never saw... never even heard of one until a few years ago. There was a guy performing with one in a little restaurant somewhere outside of Dodge City, Kansas.
The wife and I came in through the back entrance. From that vantage point, I thought we walked in on Peewee Herman.

catmandu2
Feb-15-2015, 12:59am
BTW derbex - thanks for the link to the EATMT...which among other items provides a link to a fine account of melodeons, concertina, and dulcimer (David Kettlewell's thesis, which I find quite enjoyable and among containing many congruencies to my own experience, viz - the allure and devotion to the instrument; subsequent or concurrent devotion to harping, etc.)

Bertram Henze
Feb-15-2015, 1:05am
I have had strange things turn up on me in sessions, but a jig doll is new to me (had to look it up on YouTube) :disbelief:

zedmando
Feb-15-2015, 2:52am
What kinds of music were you playing? I would assume at least some Swedish. BTW I usually see it spelled nyckelharpa.

Me too, but there are probably a number of variations.

they are cool instruments.

If I had nothing else to do but to learn how to play musical instruments, it would be on my list--but right now that part of my life is more than full with working on improving on guitar & bass (in particular slide guitar & fretless bass) and mandolin.

derbex
Feb-15-2015, 5:16am
It was a lady called Catherine, I think she's pretty well known locally -mind you it's a small world. Last time they came a long he brought an electric melodeon, strange playing along to chiming bells :confused:

Session etiquette question -how many melodeons are needed in a session before it's acceptable to bring along a Marshall stack?

Bertram Henze
Feb-15-2015, 6:06am
Session etiquette question -how many melodeons are needed in a session before it's acceptable to bring along a Marshall stack?

No no no - you're supposed to win purely with acoustic means, as when the fiddle force and the banjo brigade join the fray. But it is possible - yesterday, we had two melodeons, three concertinas, four fiddles, two flutes, one banjo and one full set of uillean pipes and I could still be heard and lead a set without problem.

Ron McMillan
Feb-15-2015, 6:06am
I'd never heard of a nyckelharpa. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sfBcWvVUbs

Bertram Henze
Feb-15-2015, 6:12am
I have more than once played in sessions with nyckelharpas. The built-in reverb (resonating strings) is just as impressive as with its Norwegian sister instrument, the hardingfele:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrCr0yVuNsc

Randi Gormley
Feb-15-2015, 2:43pm
One of our long-time fiddlers brings his jig doll most sessions; it's a big hit when we play schools. He makes them as well, so a couple of our group have them. He's always bringing in interesting stuff. About six-eight months ago, he brought a modern version of the washtub bass and when he doesn't feel like fiddling, he thumps on the bass or lets someone else do so. If he's there on Monday, I'll see if I can get a picture. He's a Finn -- as in, from Finland -- but we always joke it's short for Finnegan since we play Irish. He's also an old-time fiddler when he's not hanging around with us.

JeffD
Feb-15-2015, 8:50pm
I have had strange things turn up on me in sessions, but a jig doll is new to me (had to look it up on YouTube) :disbelief:

Really? Around here they are more commonly known as limberjacks. (Or a limberjill if female.) But I have heard that some folks call them jig dolls.

An old timey thing for sure. I have been to festivals where lessons on their formation and method of playing were given in the craft area.

allenhopkins
Feb-16-2015, 4:28pm
Limberjack's pretty standard for me for kids' programs. I bring four extras so kids can take 'em and join in. Elderly used to sell them under the heading "limbertoys," but haven't seen 'em lately. I have a limber-sheep, limber-cat, and limber-dog as well as a couple of human figures.

An older man once told me that his family called it a "slap-jack," because you slapped the board to get the doll to dance. There were male and female dolls attached side by side on two dowels, so they could dance together on a wide board. Some late-19th-century ones were made of lithographed metal, and their arms and legs were coil springs.

Well played, they can be a decent rhythm accompaniment to fiddle/banjo tunes, somewhat "spoons-like." My friend Cathy has a limberjack and a limber-horse, and she dances them horse-and-rider to the Appalachian lyrics to Miss McLeod's Reel:

Can your horse carry double, Uncle Joe, Uncle Joe?
Well, I don't mind the weather if the wind don't blow.