PDA

View Full Version : Herschel Sizemore and Altman mandolin?

Winfield
Feb-14-2015, 8:26am
I know Herschel has recently worked with Don Macrostie to have a Red Diamond spec'd and specifically voiced after his personal Loar mandolin. Does anyone know if Herschel still plays or/has an arrangement with Altman mandolin? I had thought that Bob Altman also made a mandolin voiced after Herschel's Loar. I had also heard Bob Altman is focusing on guitars now and has ceased making mandolins. Thanks.

f5joe
Feb-14-2015, 8:50am
I haven't seen Herschel with an Altman for several years. To my knowledge, he is endorsing the Red Diamonds exclusively.

Ward Elliott
Feb-14-2015, 9:12am
I saw Herschel this past week and he does still own an Altman mandolin, but I don't know if they have any endorsement arrangement.
However, I also got to hear him play a Red Diamond from the first batch of " Herschel's" and two brand new ones and they were very impressive. If I were blindfolded while listening to him play them all, I'm not sure I could tell which one is the Loar. They have a great look too. Nothing like the perfect finish of a Collings or Ellis, because they look like a Lloyd Loar! Fascinating to hear some about Don McRostie's process for recreating the sound of that mandolin. It was inspiring.