PDA

View Full Version : Tucker

mahlboogie
Mar-01-2004, 8:23pm
Anybody play any of the Tuckers in the classified section? Probably never ever see three for sale in one spot again.

Crowder
Mar-01-2004, 8:26pm
Looks like Mr. Tucker is trying to cash in on his fame there, doesn't it? Would you rather have one for $7500 or a much earlier one for $12000?

mandoJeremy
Mar-01-2004, 8:58pm
I borrowed ole #4 for about a month and a half and if I had the extra cash it would be mine in a heartbeat! It is a monster and that was in '96 when I borrowed it, I couldn't imagine how it sounds now. Every Tucker I have played all sounded great and they are very consistent plus Melvin is a great guy to be around! They have their own tone by the way and it is not Gibsonish at all.

Mar-01-2004, 9:26pm
I am the former owner of #16.. It will rock your world. Melvins mandolins are dang good. They are however not a Gibson type sound like mandojeremy says. In the south down here they are very popular and highly desired. I have no doubt that it will sell.

GTison
Mar-02-2004, 11:01am
I played the #4 and the one formerly played by w.benson. the #4 has a powerful sound all around. much more volume and to me overall tone than the one wayne played. I've heard that one alot through the years you know how he made it sound, and I was honored to play it. they are fine, great mandolins. wish I had ordered one about 6 years ago when I first thought about it.

JAK
Mar-02-2004, 2:02pm
Maverick, how did your #16 end up with Marc Darrow, MD, in Los Angeles? He gets a number of great mandolins that he puts up for sale, I e-mailed him regarding this, but he didn't respond. If you care not to respond I understand, but curosity has the best of me! If you go to his website he has a number of college degrees, has a private practice, teaches at a university, and has a radio show; but nothing indicates he is a mandolin broker! He seems to have been blessed with a number of talents.

Mar-02-2004, 10:13pm
Marc Darrow is a very good friend of mine. We stay in contact daily. Actually I traded that mandolin off to another player/trader who ended up trading it to Marc. Marc has many nice pieces in his collection. He has become one of the best mandolin collectors on the west coast. He also is very high up in his part of the medical field

Crowder
Mar-02-2004, 10:18pm
Marc's a great guy. He bought a Collings guitar from me and we wound up talking on the phone for an hour, about all kinds of stuff. I'm not sure why he loves to sell mandolins as much as he loves to buy them, but if that's how he gets his kicks, so be it.

Scotti Adams
Mar-02-2004, 11:14pm
..uh..does he play mando?

mahlboogie
Mar-02-2004, 11:16pm
I sold #16 to a fellow in New York about 20 months ago. I bought it from the bass player in Third time out. It appears to have past through four other sets of hands since I had it. Great mando.

mandoJeremy
Mar-02-2004, 11:40pm
I also have played Wayne's "ex" Tucker many times and I attest to it's greatness but I also agree that it is not like #4. Wayne's was made of "bubbly" maple and Melvin showed me the sister piece to it and it looked great. For the record, listen to "Bluegrass 96" and you will see that Wayne had his best tone then; on his Tucker.

Scotti Adams
Mar-02-2004, 11:42pm
no doubt..The Tucker was Bensons sound....

Mar-03-2004, 9:11am
mahlboogie. Yeap I bought that from the guy from New York.. The original owner was Jeff Deaton , Ray Deaton (3rd time outs bass player) had Tucker make one from him.

Mar-03-2004, 9:12am
I agree with Mando Jeremy and Scotti. Benson created his sound from the Tucker.

Scotti Adams
Mar-03-2004, 9:27am
..and Wayne is playing more of a traditional style these days...when he first hit the scene with Live Wire....he was doing alot of Sammy stuff...even the head bob. I remember back in the late 80's...at SPBGMA...Scott Vestal invited Wayne and I back to his room where we commenced to playing....hell..If I had known it was an audition I would have played with both barrels.. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mad.gif

JAK
Mar-04-2004, 10:56pm
Thanks Maverick for the info on Marc Darrow. He does have a great "stable" of mandolins, and it's good to know he is an allright guy to deal with. Wish I had the bucks to buy a Tucker! Everybody's input on #16 is interesting!

Nolan
Mar-05-2004, 11:31am
This isn't about Tuckers but for JAK, I too have delt with Dr Darrow and he is a class act.

JAK
Mar-06-2004, 11:39am
Thanks Nolan. It's good to know the reputation of any seller. I know there are reasons why folks sell their great mandolins, but I wonder why the Tucker #16 has moved around and is now for sale again?