PDA

View Full Version : Is this a good mandolin for the price?

Peachy Fingers
Feb-12-2015, 8:28pm
Hello, I am brand spankin new to this forum and want to borrow your eyes for a spell. I started playing mandolin about 15 years ago when someone gave me a cheap A. After a few years I gave it to someone else who was in need of one and haven't played since. I am starting to pine for the pickin and will be moving to Georgia next month, so I think there will be opportunities to get involved in jams (much more so than southern California). Anyhoo, I have $800 budgeted for a new mandolin and came across this Michael Kelly. It sure is pretty but I don't know much about the brand/quality. I have fat fingers, so a wide neck would be preferable. Please let me know your thoughts on this and I would kindly take your suggestions.

http://www.folkmusician.com/Michael-Kelly-Legacy-Dragonfly-Flame-Mandolin/productinfo/MKLDFAW/

Charles E.
Feb-12-2015, 8:40pm
For your price range you could get a mandolin from Kentucky, The Loar or Eastman. Each of these would be better then the mandolin you are looking at. Take a look at the classifieds here on the Cafe for used mandolins and look at dealers with good feedback.

Charles E.
Feb-12-2015, 8:54pm
Here is a perfect example of the classifieds in your price range.......

http://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/83667 NFI

Peachy Fingers
Feb-12-2015, 9:45pm
Thank you Charles, I was considering Kentucky as well and have always known them to make mandolins of high regard. Can you tell me what you like about Eastman and The Loar, and recommend any specific models that might suit my big fingers?

crisscross
Feb-12-2015, 10:23pm
If you can find a used Breedlove OF in your price range, that one will suit your fingers. But I think, it is more a matter of getting used to the limited space on a mandolin fretboard and less a matter of finger size.

Peachy Fingers
Feb-12-2015, 10:47pm
Thank you crisscross, I do recognize that fact and didn't have too much trouble with the A style that I started out with, but figured if there was wider necks out there then it would give me a bit of an edge of some of the clumsiness that comes from playing with big fingers

darrylicshon
Feb-12-2015, 11:46pm
The eastman has the smallest neck and frets

Peachy Fingers
Feb-13-2015, 12:28am
After looking into my options for my budget, I decided to go with The Loar LM-600. If it truly replicates the original Loar F5's then I think I will be happy. Thank you everyone for your help!

Ivan Kelsall
Feb-13-2015, 3:12am
From Peachy Fingers -" If it truly replicates the original Loar F5's then I think I will be happy " . Possibly the only similarity between a 'Loar' & a ''The Loar'' is the name. However, they do come out as a pretty good mandolin most of the time. The Kentucky brand always gets a good review on here as well, & i get the impression that they maybe a bit more constant in their build quality.
You could do worse than contact Folk Musician either by phone or e-mail to ask their advice. Robert Fear, the owner of the store, has a great reputation on here,& i'm sure he'd offer some sound (literally) advice - he may also have a good 'used' mandolin lying around - don't overlook those. Two of my mandolins were 'used' & i wouldn't part with either,
Ivan;)

Charles E.
Feb-13-2015, 7:23am
I realize Peachy Fingers was considering a mandolin from Folk Musician and I hope I did not imply that it was not a good shop in my reply. Robert Fear is a Cafe supporter and regular contributor to the forum. I am sure he would go out of his way to make sure you were happy with whatever mandolin you decide on.

Peachy Fingers
Feb-13-2015, 8:10am
I still intend to buy from Folk Musician because whatever I buy, I want to make sure it gets a proper set up and I understand that Robert includes that for free on most of his mandos

crisscross
Feb-13-2015, 8:25am
If it truly replicates the original Loar F5's then I think I will be happy.

Well, comes close ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNMnFOp1NdM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vF4mG6b5JAo

Marty Jacobson
Feb-13-2015, 10:46am

It doesn't, and that's not a realistic expectation. But it will probably still make you happy, especially for the price.

fatt-dad
Feb-13-2015, 10:55am
The only reason I don't own a '24 Gibson F5 is 'cause the nut's too narrow. If you have big fingers, you may not want a mandolin modeled after the Gibson F5. You may want to get a, "Wide Nut" mandolin - something that has 1-3/16ths-inch nut width.

f-d

FLATROCK HILL
Feb-13-2015, 11:30am

Congrats Peachy Fingers!!! You have just summed up thousands of pages...volumes written on this forum with that one simple, innocent statement.
The "I think" part is pure genius.:)

Eric F.
Feb-13-2015, 12:10pm
The only reason I don't own a '24 Gibson F5 is 'cause the nut's too narrow.
f-d

Thanks, man. I just spit coffee out my nostrils.

Jackgaryk
Feb-13-2015, 12:25pm
I still intend to buy from Folk Musician because whatever I buy, I want to make sure it gets a proper set up and I understand that Robert includes that for free on most of his mandos

from what I read you can't go wrong with folk musician or any of the café sponsors. setup and service are important. congrats on your new mandolin...

FLATROCK HILL
Feb-13-2015, 5:07pm
Does anyone know the details re the Gibson Fern Loar in the Greg Boyd video posted above?
Is that the Carter Loar? Anyone know serial number and/or if that one has a Virzi?

Thanks, sorry for the short derail.

Steve VandeWater
Feb-13-2015, 9:10pm
Either the guy in the first video has a mouse in his pocket, or that cat is a music lover. My animals either know I have no food, or are also music lovers. They run like hell when I start to play.