PDA

View Full Version : Look for mandolin teacher in the Greater Boston Area (MA)

jbrown5217
Feb-06-2015, 7:09pm
Pretty much what the title says. I tried searching and Didn't find anything, but if I missed a thread please let me know.

I would prefer a teacher in the Newton/Chestnut Hill area, but I also work in Cambridge/Somerville and am pretty close to places like Brookline, Allston/Brighton, and Jamaica Plain as well.

Any recommendations would be awesome for a teacher.

I am very, very new to Mandolin (I play a little guitar) so I really would like to invest in a teacher.

I have done some research and a lot of people seem to have recommended John Mcgann, but he appears to either not be accepting students or has retired.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Jbrown5217

emzech
Feb-06-2015, 7:18pm
http://www.flynncohen.net/teaching

NFI

Steve L
Feb-06-2015, 7:21pm
I was going to recommend Flynn Cohen as well. He teaches at a private location in North Cambridge and at The Music Emporium in Lexington. A fabulous musician and a really good guy. Flynn studied and played with John McGann who is sadly no longer with us.

jbrown5217
Feb-06-2015, 7:40pm
Wow, it is really unfortunate to hear that John has passed. I listened to some of his performances on youtube and even though I do not know much at all about the mandolin, I could tell that he was truly a wonderful mandolin player.

I will certainly look into Flynn and his schedule as he seems to be all over the place.

Jbrown5217

bigskygirl
Feb-06-2015, 7:41pm
Contact the Berklee School of Music, the teachers there probably give lessons or know people that do. Or, you could give Skype a try, I find it works very well.

HarrisonMandolin
Feb-16-2015, 7:53pm
Hi Jbrown5217,

I sent you a PM but I'm not sure it went through. I am a mandolin master's student at the New England Conservatory and love teaching! Let me know if you are still on the hunt for a teacher!

Thanks!

diymando
Feb-16-2015, 9:00pm
Have you tried the Boston Bluegrass Union? They may be able to help. Also there is a nice list of teachers for various instruments. I know there were several Berklee grads listed there at one point. Those guys really know their theory as well as being able to play/perform well in a variety of styles.

http://www.bbu.org/resources/instructors/

RhodyMando
Feb-17-2015, 3:40pm
My instructor, Josh Bell, teaches in Providence as well as the Cape. I am assuming that neither would work for you, but he is an outstanding teacher.

jbrown5217
Feb-17-2015, 4:49pm
Thank you everyone for the wonderful suggestions!