PDA

View Full Version : My F-9

ronlane3
Mar-01-2004, 7:22pm
Here is a picture of my F-9. #It was signed and serial numbered on my birthday 2 years ago.

ronlane3
Mar-01-2004, 7:48pm
Let's try again

ronlane3
Mar-01-2004, 7:49pm
Here's the back.

ronlane3
Mar-01-2004, 7:52pm
Let's see if this is bigger.

ronlane3
Mar-01-2004, 7:53pm
Front again.

Kirby161
Mar-01-2004, 8:14pm
very nice, i like the feel of those ones, the neck seems like it makes playing easier.

JimW
Mar-01-2004, 11:11pm
ronlane3, nice looking F9 there. I had to take mine outdoors to get better lighting to really show off the back and color. Does the back on yours have any flame? I haven't seen or played many F9's, so I don't have anything to compare them to. I know Ted Eschliman, aka MandoHack has one in the classifieds that has killer flame on the back too. The thing that really surprises me is the tone. I think it must have something to do with the finish and how thinly it's put on. But the one I just bought used, just feels so broken in. If I hadn't already bought one, I'd jump on Ted's.

Jim Watts

Kevin K
Mar-02-2004, 8:28am
What pick have you got nestled in the strings there?
I like them F9's.

John Zimm
Mar-02-2004, 9:10am
That looks great. I really like the simple beauty of the F9 and I wouldn't mind owning one some day. I even appreciate how the headstock simply reads Gibson. I hope she sevrves you well. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

-John.

Mar-02-2004, 9:19am
"aka MandoHack has one in the classifieds that has killer flame on the back too"

Killer flame?........Hahahaha
Jim, go look at the "no frills" Phoenix thread if you want to see flame.....

JimW
Mar-02-2004, 11:58am
Dale, the least you could've done was provide me with a link to click on so I wouldn't have to search. Anyway, that is a nice mandolin. I love Rolphe's work, and had a Phoenix Deluxe for almost a year. Very light, responsive, tone, tone, tone, and more tone. While you compare it to the F9, I think this is comparing apples to oranges.

1. #The Phoenix isn't an F style mandolin; your better comparison is to maybe a Rigel R100, etc.

2. #List of Phoenix is $3200.00 and I believe you can discount only 10% so making a street price of $2880.00(correct me if I'm wrong Dale and give us the street price), Gibson F9 list at $3250.00 and street price of $2372.00 at FQMS. If my figures are correct, that's $508.00 difference.

3. #As good as Rolphe is, I think availability is going to be an issue.

I am just pointing some differences out here, and don't take this as a negative post regarding Phoenix mandolins, as I think they are great and if this is the style you're looking for, I don't' think you'd be disappointed in your purchase.

By the way, here's the link to the
Phoenix Pictures (http://www.mandolincafe.net/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=15;t=13357) Dale was referring to.

Jim Watts

ronlane3
Mar-02-2004, 12:35pm
Thanks everyone, she does have a great sound and keeps getting better and louder the more I play it.

Kevin, that pick is one that I got at a festival from another cafe member and friend, he gets them from a guy he calls the Pick guy. It is some sort of plastic, but it sounds really good in comparison to my shell.

JimW, no, she doesn't really have a flame to the back, I'll take it outside this evening and take another picture of the back without the tone-gard on it.

ronlane3
Mar-04-2004, 6:34pm
JimW, here are the closer, outdoor pictures without the tone guard.

ronlane3
Mar-04-2004, 6:36pm
Close up of the back.

JimW
Mar-05-2004, 1:52pm
Looking good Ronlane3. How would you describe the tone of your F9? I really like the dry, woody tone that Gibson produces consistently in their mandolins. I was really surprised with the F9 having that same tone and volume at this price. I bought mine to play while having some work done on my Sam Bush and I'm completely blown away by it's playability and sound.

Jim Watts

Mar-05-2004, 1:54pm
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

ronlane3
Mar-05-2004, 6:21pm
Thanks JimW, I love the tone of it. Just as you described it, and it is very loud too for the price. I am glad that I saved the money and got it instead of a F-5G, but that is just my opinion.

Dale, what's that smirk about? You just wanting to put dots on it huh? hehehehe

earthsave
Mar-06-2004, 11:22am
What kind of case is that? Also, what's an F9 going for these days? I played the ones at the Gibson shop last summer and liked what I heard and I too like the simplicity of the look.

ronlane3
Mar-06-2004, 6:46pm
That is a Calton Custom case, burgandy granite outside and beige on the inside. F-9's are going for about $2,400 - $2,700 or so depending on where you get them.