PDA

View Full Version : Flatiron Mandola

AZMandoMan
Feb-04-2015, 8:37pm
I just snagged myself a Flatiron M5 Junior mandola. Never knew they even existed until I stumbled across this one a couple days ago. Apparently they are a rare item. Not much info out there, from the searching I've done so far. The only thing I discovered from the MC Forum is that they are X-braced and part of the Flatiron Signature Series. It's a '96 model signed by Bruce Weber. I also happen to have a '96 Gibson F5G signed by Bruce Weber. Anyone know how many of the M5 Jrs were made? I did find another one that had been sold through Greg Boyd's website. No price was shown. Any thoughts on value? Mine has a couple minor cosmetic issues and I paid $1500.

JeffD
Feb-04-2015, 8:45pm
I found a picture of a 96 on line, going for $1650. Good catch. I think you will be very happy with it. Sounds like you did well.

I have a rule, for myself, to not spend time even thinking about the value of things I have already purchased. Play the potatoes out of it.

fatt-dad
Feb-04-2015, 8:49pm
is this an a-style mandola? For the "jr" series mandolins they were parallel braced. Did you actually confirm that yours is x-braced?

Can you post a photo? I bet it's just great! Congratulations!

f-d

AZMandoMan
Feb-04-2015, 9:21pm
is this an a-style mandola? For the "jr" series mandolins they were parallel braced. Did you actually confirm that yours is x-braced?

Can you post a photo? I bet it's just great! Congratulations!

f-d

Yes, it's and A-style mandola. Looks just like a Gibson A snakehead mandolin, except it has f-holes. Tried to attach a photo, but not having much luck. Has white binding on the top. Nothing on the back. Very much adorned like my F5G, but has no other inlay below the "The Flatiron" logo. The red sunburst on both instruments is identical! A couple folks on the forum have stated the M5 Jr is x-braced. Haven't received it yet, so can't confirm that either way. Will let you know when it arrives and post some pics.

trevor
Feb-05-2015, 3:13am
To post photos upload to photobucket the copy then IMG code and paste.

AZMandoMan
Feb-05-2015, 9:29pm
To post photos upload to photobucket the copy then IMG code and paste.

Still no luck uploading photos. You can see it from this link:

https://reverb.com/item/451285-flatiron-m5-junior-mandola-1996-sunburst

JeffD - Yep, that's the one!