PDA

View Full Version : Listening Suggestions

MandoQuest
Feb-01-2015, 1:33am
It happens. You get stuck in a rut listening to the same music for a long time.

I've been listening to the same old time fiddle tunes forever.

I love minor key fiddle tunes on the mando. For instance, I like "Jerusalem Ridge" and "Kentucky Mandolin". I also like "Salt Creek" and "Uncle Pen". I love tunes with a bit of fiddle flavor - and a slightly edgy, maybe darker tone.

I also like David Grisman - I have the Grisman and Garcia CD and I love "Arabia", "Walkin Boss", and "Arkansas Traveller" for instance.

I love everything from the Steeldrivers. I have lots of Skaggs & Rice, Monroe, and Ralph Stanley.. I love Irish, too.

Does anyone have any suggestions for new or different music along those lines? I want to buy some new music tomorrow that I can marinate in on my way to and from work this week. The kind of mandolin music that one can just listen in amazement to. Clear eyed, sometimes minor key, fiddle-tune-esque music. Not new-agey. The real-deal.

It's hard to zero in on music like that - but I figured that someone here would likely have some good pointers!

MandoQuest
Feb-03-2015, 11:07pm
Well, this is probably a tired subject and I can understand that there weren't replies. But, in case anyone with the same question happens by my post, here are some excellent mandolin soaked tunes I purchased today:

\Chad Fadely\Amity Road\Chad Fadely - Garland County
\Chad Fadely\Amity Road\Chad Fadely - Vicki's Waltz
\Chad Fadely\Amity Road\Chad Fadely - Here We Go
\Chad Fadely\Amity Road\Chad Fadely - Hwy 105
\Chad Fadely\Amity Road\Chad Fadely - Welcome to Slough
\Chad Fadely\Amity Road\Chad Fadely - Crossing the Flathead
\Chad Fadely\Amity Road\Chad Fadely - For Hailey
\Chad Fadely\The Back Room\Chad Fadely - The Back Room
\Chad Fadely\The Back Room\Chad Fadely - Tophat Funk
\Chad Fadely\Imando\Chad Fadely - Orcas Isle
\Chad Fadely\Imando\Chad Fadely - Woodford Downs
\Chad Fadely\Imando\Chad Fadely - Cold Snowy Morning
\Chad Fadely\Imando\Chad Fadely - Liza Jane
\Chad Fadely\Imando\Chad Fadely - Ode To Jo
\Chad Fadely\Imando\Chad Fadely - Trekking
\Chad Fadely\Imando\Chad Fadely - Texas Gales
\Chad Fadely\Mandolin Escapes\Chad Fadely - Come Hither to Go Yonder
\Chad Fadely\Mandolin Escapes\Chad Fadely - Big Sciota
\Sam Bush\Circles Around Me\Sam Bush - The Old North Woods
\Sam Bush\Circles Around Me\Sam Bush - Junior Heywood
\Bryan McDowell\The Contestant\Bryan McDowell - Salt Creek
\Eric Lewis And Andy Ratliff\Edgar's Blues\Eric Lewis And Andy Ratliff - Salt Creek
\Eric Lewis And Andy Ratliff\Edgar's Blues\Eric Lewis And Andy Ratliff - Think of What You've Done
\Eric Lewis And Andy Ratliff\Edgar's Blues\Eric Lewis And Andy Ratliff - Calicoon Rag
\Eric Lewis And Andy Ratliff\Edgar's Blues\Eric Lewis And Andy Ratliff - Old Mother Flanigan
\Eric Lewis And Andy Ratliff\Edgar's Blues\Eric Lewis And Andy Ratliff - Katie Dear
\Eric Lewis And Andy Ratliff\Edgar's Blues\Eric Lewis And Andy Ratliff - Howlin' Edgar
\Eric Lewis And Andy Ratliff\Edgar's Blues\Eric Lewis And Andy Ratliff - Tennessee Barn Burner
\Eric Lewis And Andy Ratliff\Edgar's Blues\Eric Lewis And Andy Ratliff - The Kaintuck
\Eric Lewis And Andy Ratliff\Edgar's Blues\Eric Lewis And Andy Ratliff - Preserve the Blameless
\Eric Lewis And Andy Ratliff\Edgar's Blues\Eric Lewis And Andy Ratliff - In the Pines
\Eric Lewis And Andy Ratliff\Edgar's Blues\Eric Lewis And Andy Ratliff - Reuben's Country Blues Train
\Eric Lewis And Andy Ratliff\Edgar's Blues\Eric Lewis And Andy Ratliff - Going to Aurora
\Eric Lewis And Andy Ratliff\Edgar's Blues\Eric Lewis And Andy Ratliff - Short Life of Trouble
\Eric Lewis And Andy Ratliff\Edgar's Blues\Eric Lewis And Andy Ratliff - Howlin' Edgar (Slight Return)
\Eric Lewis And Andy Ratliff\Only Home I've Had\Eric Lewis And Andy Ratliff - Going Across the Sea
\Eric Lewis And Andy Ratliff\Only Home I've Had\Eric Lewis And Andy Ratliff - Lonesome Fiddle Blues
\Eric Lewis And Andy Ratliff\Only Home I've Had\Eric Lewis And Andy Ratliff - Cherokee ShuffleSally Goodin'
\Eric Lewis And Andy Ratliff\Only Home I've Had\Eric Lewis And Andy Ratliff - Maurice
\The Steeldrivers\Hammer Down [+digital booklet]\The Steeldrivers - Shallow Grave
\The Steeldrivers\Hammer Down [+digital booklet]\The Steeldrivers - Burnin' The Woodshed Down
\David Grisman\Mondo Mando\David Grisman - Cedar Hill
\David Grisman\Mondo Mando\David Grisman - Japan [Op. 23]
\Mike Compton & David Long\Stomp\Mike Compton & David Long - Evening Prayer Blues
\Blue Tyes of Grass\Test of Time\Blue Tyes of Grass - Salt Creek
\Tony Rice\Unit Of Measure\Tony Rice - Jerusalem Ridge
\John Reischman\Up in the Woods\John Reischman - The Nootka Blues
\John Reischman\Up in the Woods\John Reischman - Greenwood
\The Wholetones\The Wholetones - Japan

Mandosurf
Feb-04-2015, 10:03am
More on the new grass side, but anything with Drew emmitt playin mando is amazing.. His band is leftover salmon, but he did an album with bill nershi of string cheese incident called "new country blues" by Emmitt-Nershi Band. My favorite album! Also, older Infamous stringdusters has great mando playing by Jesse Cobb

Tobin
Feb-04-2015, 10:18am
You should definitely check out the Barn Owl Band. If you like fiddle tunes/instrumentals with a good mixture of Old-Time, Irish, and Bluegrassy music, I think you'll like what you hear. They play lots of traditional tunes as well as originals written by them.

http://www.barnowlband.com/

Go to the "music" link at the left. Many of their tracks are available to download for free, or you can purchase the albums.

RebYell
Feb-04-2015, 10:33am
The 2nd South Carolina String Band does a nice rendition of Cripple Creek/Old Joe Clark/The Girl I Left Behind Me.

It's on YouTube somewhere....

Timbofood
Feb-04-2015, 10:50am
Find a copy of "Footsteps of Tradition" by Larry Sparks with Art Wydner on Bass, Wendy Miller on Mandolin and Mike Lilly on Banjo.
Good solid stuff, as most of Larry's albums are! Country Gentlemen are great, Ralph Stanley and the clinch mountain boys. I am pretty much an old school guy as my suggestions reflect. There's a ton of good music out there, just keep listening.

sgrexa
Feb-04-2015, 11:36am
Sam Bush- Glamour and Grits has some really cool minor and major tunes. One of the best IMO!

Sean

John Duncan
Feb-04-2015, 11:54am
From the purchases you listed, I would encourage you to check out:

Andy Leftwich "Ride"

Matt Flinner "Latitude" and "The View From Here"

Aubrey Haynie "Doin My Time" and "Man Must Carry On"

fishdawg40
Feb-04-2015, 12:48pm
Wow, there are so many. You can't go wrong with Grisman from his Rounder album through Quintet '80. Andy Statman is a mad genius and his early work is phenomenal. I love Norman Blake's mandolin playing on John Hartford's Morning Bugle. If you want to buy a track from that album check out Nobody Eats at Linebaughs Anymore. But I would purchase the whole album and I'm sure there are many here that agree with that. And finally Mike Compton and David Long's album stomp..great inspiraton for Monroe style. Ok one more, Kenny Baker Plays Bill Monroe. You can hear Monroe so well. The other guys aren't too shabby either. Hope this helps, Joe.

JeffD
Feb-04-2015, 4:23pm
Andy Statman - Brooklyn. That will do ya.

sgarrity
Feb-04-2015, 4:41pm
John Reischman -- Walk Along John
Caleb Klauder and/or Foghorn String Band -- anything
Blake and Ostroushko -- Meeting on Southern Soil
Blake -- Natasha's Waltz
Baldassari, Bullock, Reischman -- Travellers