PDA

View Full Version : Rose 26, updated

kyblue
Apr-05-2005, 4:11am
I wanted to share some photos of some changes I've made to my Rose. I've added a Bill James tailpiece, Cumberland Acoustics/Steve Smith armrest, AlohaGard from Tony Pires.
Also had Darby change out the frets, I prefer the regular mandolin size, and change to a fossil walrus ivory nut supplied by Steve Tourtellotte.

All of the people I did business with have been so great. I highly recommend all of them!

This mandolin is really looking and sounding amazing...

kyblue
Apr-05-2005, 4:13am
AlohaGard...

kyblue
Apr-05-2005, 4:15am
Bill James tailpiece. I can't seem to get a good photo of this but it's great.

kyblue
Apr-05-2005, 4:16am
headstock, photo doesn't capture the color in the inlay or the First Quality abalone truss rod cover.

kyblue
Apr-05-2005, 4:19am
pickguard

kyblue
Apr-05-2005, 4:21am
neck

Scotti Adams
Apr-05-2005, 8:32am
looking mighty sexy PJ http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif

mandowood
Apr-05-2005, 8:52am
That's a ridiculously good looking mandolin! You should be proud. After all the upgrades, this may seem silly to ask about the strap, but what kind is that?

kyblue
Apr-05-2005, 9:33am
mandowood, I don't remember what kind of strap that is. #Something I bought at our local music store when I bought my Weber last year. #It will be replaced as soon as I get around to it. #I like a skinnier strap. #Really like the round braided strap I got from Bluegrass Boutique but it doesn't fit on this scroll.

p.s. I am proud of it, and it does look good. Product of a great builder and the additions from Bill James and others...

GnomeGrown
Apr-05-2005, 1:36pm
that tone guard is WILD!!!

i likey

Bill James
Apr-05-2005, 2:46pm
Wow...that really came together nicely Paula. Very personalized.

By the way the tailpiece has built in dampeners so you don't have to use the grommets. #They do look kind of cool though. #http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

kyblue
Apr-05-2005, 7:36pm
Hmmm, Bill, and here I was thinking it made me look like I knew what I was doing... but guess you're saying that they are really showing that I don't! #http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif

Love it. #But they do look cool. #And they do seem to be conversation pieces...

mandoryan
Apr-06-2005, 11:06am
You know, Darby is getting good at building those mandolins. I've watched his progress over the last year or two and he has really gotten the mandolin building thing down. Great work Darby, that is one fine looking mandolin.

Scotti Adams
Apr-06-2005, 4:40pm
..I can sure attest to that Ryan..Im gettin really excited...Im hoping Darby will post some more pics of mine..hes been real quiet lately..havent seen or heard much out of him lately...and that a good thing if you know what I mean.

Tim
Apr-06-2005, 5:23pm
kyblue- #lots of variables but if you can take a picture of that tailpiece with the light coming from the side instead of from the front, the texture will show up better.

JGWoods
Apr-06-2005, 6:38pm
Bill James tailpiece. I can't seem to get a good photo of this but it's great.
Photography theory/guess. For some reason I can't get IR based focus systems to work when the object of focus is metal- aluminum, steel, galvi, etc. It's a problem I run into trying to get IR temperture readings on industrial equipment, but it shows up on my camera too, and I don't know why.
If you focus on something non metallic that is equidistant and then lock in the focus by holding the shutter halfway, you can get the shot.

Mando content- very nice looking mando, though I am still not in love with the tone guards. I get the idea, but like the look of the wood far better.

best
jgwoods

mandoryan
Apr-07-2005, 11:38am
I have had success with playing with the shutter speed also. This will cut down on glare. Just experiment with different speeds, if you so desire... http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

yeah Scotti, I think if he's quiet, he's probably workin' hard at it...that's a good thing...

Andrew Reckhart
Apr-11-2005, 5:04pm
I like it a lot! #That is one of the few mandolins that isn't a "traditional" (sunburst, blackface or blonde) that I've seen that I really like! #She's a beauty!