PDA

View Full Version : "This Ain't No Mouse Music"

catmandu2
Jan-28-2015, 1:38pm
Be sure to see it - documentary on Chris Strachwitz (Arhoolie Records). http://nomousemusic.com/

From the doc:

"I always give (Chris) credit for creating, for me, the opportunity to hear - accordian so I could love it" - Taj Mahal

"...to be a musician and make this sound with yourself in this physical, strange, powerful way...just like, pure energy, pure...just, almost insanity; this is the way to live--this is the way to be" - Ry Cooder (talking about his early influences Big Joe Williams, Mance Lipscomb, et al.)

des
Jan-28-2015, 3:05pm
Wonderful trailer, must see film ...... but don't diss Disney.

There's a lot of mouse music but also a lot of fun Pop there :

Peggy Lee, Louis Prima, Elton John

When you wish upon a star

High Diddly Dee

He's a Tramp

The Siamese Cat Song

I want to be like you

The Bare Necessities

Not to mention all that popular classical in Fantasia

foldedpath
Jan-28-2015, 7:14pm
A quick check on Netflix looks like it's available for streaming now, and release on DVD in March.

On the Disney Music side note, don't forget "Bella Notte" from Lady and the Tramp. Seems like a natural for mandolin.
;)

catmandu2
Jan-28-2015, 7:25pm
Yes, i should have mentioned that. I just saw it on netflix..

"Zippity doo dah"!

rubydubyr
Jan-28-2015, 9:00pm
A quick check on Netflix looks like it's available for streaming now, and release on DVD in March.

On the Disney Music side note, don't forget "Bella Notte" from Lady and the Tramp. Seems like a natural for mandolin.
;)

oh cool, i'll put it on my list! thanks for the info!

BJ O'Day
Feb-01-2015, 1:11am
Watched this on Netflix. Very cool documentary. Amazing that he exposed so many people to so many flavors of music.

BJ

rubydubyr
Feb-01-2015, 9:22am
Watched this on Netflix. Very cool documentary. Amazing that he exposed so many people to so many flavors of music.

BJ

I think what was so ultra cool is he not only exposed people to music they'd otherwise never have heard, but the older musicians had a chance to show off their music style to people they'd not have had a chance too, and travel to places to play that they wouldn't have had an opportunity to go to.

Dobe
Feb-01-2015, 12:12pm
Here's some more pretty cool Disney, Robbie Folks "Elephant Fly" is an awesome cut. Very Bluegrassy !

http://www.coveringthemouse.com/2008/01/when-i-see-elephant-fly-robbie-fulks.html