PDA

View Full Version : Aztec, is it good?

haze4285
Apr-04-2005, 9:01pm
Hey ya'll! I just got my first mandolin! I've been waiting on one for about a year now. It got an Aztec? How good is that? Any tips for tuning? Thanks! Glad to be a part of the mandolin circle now http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

jim simpson
Apr-04-2005, 10:03pm
I've never heard of an Aztec but that doesn't mean it is or isn't good. If it stays in tune - that's good. Also if it makes a pleasing sound to your ears,it's good. How did you locate this mandolin? A Google search turned up nothing. What guided your decision on this particular mandolin. Please try to describe it. And lastly, Welcome to the circle!!

haze4285
Apr-04-2005, 10:42pm
My fault, I found what kind it actually is. Johnson "Lynchburg" A-Model Mandolin

How about this model? is it ok? http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

Eric F.
Apr-04-2005, 11:11pm
Hello, Haze. I've never played a Johnson Lynchburg, so I can't comment on whether I think it is good or not. But I CAN say it's good that you got a mandolin and are learning to play it. Welcome to the Cafe.

You asked about tips on tuning. I'm not sure exactly what you are looking for. You probably know that it is tuned GDAE, in courses (pairs). The thickest and lowest sounding strings are the G strings, the thinnest and highest the E. I would suggest you invest in an Intellitouch tuner, about $30 for the basic model. You can clamp it on the headstock and tune right up. I've heard it said that mandolin players are either tuning up or playing out of tune.

I would also suggest getting a teacher, at least for the early stages. If that's not doable, a book/video combo such as Simon Mayor's The Mandolin Tutor, would be very helpful. Roland White's Approach to Bluegrass Mandolin is a good book and CD, but might be better as a second set of instructional material.

RichM
Apr-04-2005, 11:32pm
A Johnson Lynchburg is a pretty basic economy mandolin. It's made entirely of laminated woods, so I wouldn't expect it to be a tone monster. However, assuming that it will stay in tune and the action (height of the strings off the fretboard) isn't too high, it's just fine to start on (many of the assembled masses here started on something similar). The most important thing is to get an instrument and start playing-- you can always buy a nicer instrument down the road.

That being said, the biggest impediment to learning to play an instrument is having an instrument that is difficult to play or just won't stay in tune. It is not uncommon for inexpensive instruments to have some flaws that make them difficult to play (poorly cut nuts, uneven frets, innacurately set bridges, etc.) If you have a music store nearby that understands mandolins, it might be worthwhile to have your instrument checked out. A few minor adjustments can make a world of difference in playability (and shouldn't cost more than a few bucks).

Congrats and welcome to the world of the mandolin-- they are wonderful little instruments and highly addictive!

haze4285
Apr-05-2005, 6:05pm
wow. hey guys! thanks for all the posts encouraging my starting off! I appreciate everything, I will keep you posted ont he playing! :cool: