PDA

View Full Version : Not Bluegrass but wow

mountain dawg
Jan-21-2015, 4:36pm
:)Hi all I was just on YouTube and found a video from the Hill Benders new project coming out and it look like it will be a great CD they are doing Tommy. I am a big Who fan so being able to have it play with all acoustic will be awesome sorry for no link I am not sure how to do it with a ipad

mountain dawg
Jan-21-2015, 8:58pm
The video is pin ball wizard look it up under hill benders pin ball wizard its great

foldedpath
Jan-21-2015, 9:20pm
Here's the embedded link:

cLgbU7acsgY

stevedenver
Jan-22-2015, 10:17am
wow great vocalist(s) especially.

itstooloudMike
Jan-22-2015, 10:20am
OK, that's just awesome right there! Thanks for sharing.

OldSausage
Jan-22-2015, 10:41am
What was it Samuel Johnson said of the dog that could walk on its hind legs? It's not that it is done well, but you are surprised to find it done at all.

Not that it's not done well, God bless 'em.

jaycat
Jan-22-2015, 11:22am
I have never been able to fathom the appeal of "Tommy." Plays by sense of smell? Such a supple wrist? Uh . . . ok.

The Who hit their high water mark with The Who Sell Out, just my opinion.

I remember when they came on in the middle of the night at Woodstock and played the whole damn "opera." In the pause between "See me . . . feel me . . ." some wag yelled out at the top of his lungs: "EAT ME!"

Roland Sturm
Jan-22-2015, 11:22am
Great performance, outstanding vocals. Even though genre-hopping tributes tend to be somewhat of a gimmick (dog walking on two legs), those guys are so good that whatever they play stands on its own. And if it hadn't been a cover, we wouldn't have found them and this was fun to hear and see...

montana
Jan-22-2015, 11:38am
Punchbrothers do Cars. McCorrey does Lovin Sponful. Love bluegrass rock and roll!

journeybear
Jan-22-2015, 12:06pm
Interesting that this is about the same tempo as the original. Never thought of it as being at bluegrass tempo. My favorite part: the drone the dobro plays during the interlude before the last verse. Made my ears prick up. Least favorite part: the grimaces on the guitarist's face. Made my eyes roll. Tone it down, fella!

Yes, JC - pretty odd subject matter. But Townshend took the notion and ran with it, using his imagination rather extensively and masterfully, IMO. After all, the kid's deaf, dumb, and blind, so he pretty much has to play by smell. I guess touch/feel couldn't been mentioned, but I think Townshend liked being a bit "out there" to emphasize the kid's obstacles. It's kind of funny, too. At least he didn't play by using taste - ewwwhhh! ;)

And McCoury has done a lot of non-bluegrass songs in a very bluegrass way. He's been very smart in his choice of material, for the most part. His version of Richard Thompson's "52 Black Vincent Lightning" is so good it's become a modern bluegrass standard, imitated by many others. The song - and a great one it is - has had a second lifetime as a result.

SincereCorgi
Jan-22-2015, 2:28pm
This was a lip-sync for the video, right? I'd be curious to see how different the live version is... I'm guessing there's a lot less guitar-face.