PDA

View Full Version : '58 F12 in Rhode Island

Jeff Budz
Jan-20-2015, 6:49am
I stopped by this local shop the other day and came across this mandolin. It's in pretty rough shape with a screw hole on the top and a hole in the side from a old pickup jack. The bridge adjusters were not working, just spinning. The tailpiece was funky and the metal end pin was loose and spinning causing vibrations while playing. Also I noticed the tuning machine grommets were not flush with the top of the headstock. Also has a strap button screwed into the base of the neck. They said it has the original case.

i really enjoyed playing it, seemed to have a lot of potential. Even with low action it played well and all of the notes spoke as they should. Something about it has kept it in my mind for several days after playing it.

To me, it seems like their price of $2750 seems steep considering all of the holes, but I don't know much about these things.

Here is the link:

http://empireguitarsri.com/shop/1958-gibson-f-12-mandolin

D C Blood
Jan-20-2015, 7:17am
Obviously they don't deal much in "high end" mandolins...They stilll aren't...

DataNick
Jan-20-2015, 4:52pm
For my taste $2750 seems a bit ambitious in it's current state, but I'm no expert...

mrmando
Jan-20-2015, 4:55pm
Too much, by a considerable margin.

Jeff Budz
Jan-20-2015, 6:16pm
That's what I'm thinking. Is 2k more the ballpark?

allenhopkins
Jan-23-2015, 12:55pm
Mmmm... This (http://www.julienslive.com/view-auctions/catalog/id/71/lot/27836/) '54 went for $4.8K at an auction; Mandolin Brothers asked $3.5K for this (http://mandoweb.com/Instruments/Gibson-F12-1949/806) '49. A '54 went on eBay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/1954-Gibson-F12-Mandolin-Killer-Sound-and-Beautiful-Wood-/111088335734) not too long ago for $2.9K.

Prices seem to be all over, but generally on the rise; the F-12 described here needs a ton of work, obviously, but if the seller will take $2-2.2K for it, might well be a good deal.

Especially since "Something about it has kept it in my mind for several days after playing it." There are times when taking a bit of a risk may be the only way to acquire an instrument you don't see very often.

Of course, I'm a sucker for nearly anything that comes along, which is why I'm negotiating on a Weber Gallatin soprano mandolin at Bernunzio's. Like I really need another mandolin...

darrylicshon
Jan-23-2015, 1:10pm
I like it but not for that price

lenf12
Jan-24-2015, 12:00pm
Owning a mid 50's F-12 and being from Rhode Island, how could I not chime in on this thread? Reading their description on the website, it's pretty obvious they don't deal with vintage Gibson mandolins. "We seldom get top-of-the-line vintage Mandolins here at the shop so this late 1950s F-12 is a real treat! It features a distinctive ornately carved bound spruce top with a beautiful vintage sunburst finish and bound mahogany back and sides."

Bound mahogany back and sides?? Really?? Wriggle edge tail piece?? They don't know the vocabulary for vintage mandolins. That could be part of your negotiating strategy, you're the expert here. There are lots of things wrong with this mandolin including the missing pick guard that detract from the $2750 they're asking. The screw hole in the top could be used as your "I'd pay $2.2K maximum or drop dead" final offer. If not, leave the store on friendly terms and make sure they have your phone number.

I wasn't aware there is a music store there on N. Main St. Then again, I haven't been back to Providence in a few too many years. Last time there, I got to play with the PMO at a "Water Fire" downtown in the RISD Auditorium. Big fun!! I sure do miss it but I'm loving the winter warmth and sunshine down here.

Kind regards from sunny FL,
Len B.
Clearwater, FL

Bob Clark
Jan-25-2015, 4:51pm
Of course, I'm a sucker for nearly anything that comes along, which is why I'm negotiating on a Weber Gallatin soprano mandolin at Bernunzio's. Like I really need another mandolin...

Hi Allen,

I see that the soprano has sold. Did you get it? If you did (and I hope that's the case) I'd really like to hear your impressions once you have it in hand. I'd like to pick one of these up at some point. I really like the new scroll design, which this one has.

Congratulations if it's now yours!

allenhopkins
Jan-25-2015, 5:51pm
Hi Allen,

I see that the soprano has sold. Did you get it? If you did (and I hope that's the case) I'd really like to hear your impressions once you have it in hand....Congratulations if it's now yours!

Yes, I did; see this current thread. (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?112892-Chronic-MAS-episode-Weber-Soprano)

Pete Jenner
Jan-28-2015, 7:11am
Are those tuners original?
What's a vintage sunburst? An ugly one?

f5loar
Jan-29-2015, 10:40pm
Tuners are original single line gold Kluson tuners with original buttons. Most of these buttons over time just crumbed apart. These look pretty good without too much shrinkage. The sunburst on the 50's F12s were generally darker then the F5 of the same year. I like this in the $2000 range. Lots of holes to plug, missing PG would be your points to point out.

Russ Donahue
Jan-31-2015, 3:27pm
Hey Tom...good to have your knowledge on this.