PDA

View Full Version : wondering about getting an upgrade

kara&magnolia
Jan-16-2015, 8:29pm
hi everyone! I'm brand new to MC, but I've been playing my Magnolia for about 3 years. mostly I've used it to strum along like a guitar (I'm a disgrace, I know), but I've been settling into some picking, some theory learning, and some bluegrass skills more recently.

in about a year, I'm going to be graduating from college and I want to get myself the gift of a superior mandolin. the job is pretty easy to do, as I currently have an Ibanez M510. I'm giving myself a budget of $1000-1500. I love bluegrass music and I have a decent case of scroll-envy, so I'm looking more towards the F-styles.

I know it's early and I have a ton of time to pick something and try things out, but I was hoping y'all might be able to give me some guidance. for that price range and my interests and abilities, what kinds of instruments would you recommend? when I'm in a shop to try things out, where should I start?

pheffernan
Jan-16-2015, 8:37pm
If you're looking for a bluegrass f-style in the $100-1500 range, I'd be thinking of a Kentucky KM1000 or KM1050 for starters.

crisscross
Jan-17-2015, 2:37am
You may discuss wether it has a real scroll or just a poor imitation, that doesn't really serve as a strap holder, but I like my Breedlove FF. http://www.themandolinstore.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=9596

darylcrisp
Jan-17-2015, 7:53am
buy used, and something like this is excellent imo:'

http://www.themandolinstore.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=9984

log on to gregboyd.com and check out the video(they have excellent video's of a lot of mandolins-you can find an example of this one there)

d

J.Albert
Jan-18-2015, 7:27pm
$1,500 range might get you a used Kentucky KM-1500. But you'll have to have patience and keep your eye out.

If you're willing to settle for a lowly A-model, you might put in a couple hundred more for a used Collings MT...

Chuck Hooper
Jan-18-2015, 7:55pm
ahh the sweet song of the "up grade siren" i too have heard her call and have fallen under her spell. i started with a used 90$ fender almost a year ago.i up graded to a Kentucky KM140,from there to a morgan monroe MM150.i am presently waiting on an eastman 505 (those are all A style)i say that because there is no sense in having only "A" style mandolins.i think there is a sir issac newton law that states(i'm paraphrasing here)"...that for every "A" type mandolin... there has to be(owned)an equal and opposite "F" style mandolin". run now while you still can,,,,don't look back and keep your hands over your ears....good luck with that.