PDA

View Full Version : Doug Unger Pocket Mandolin

oldwave
Jan-14-2015, 12:24pm
By the Peninsula, OH based Artist/Luthier
A real beauty

samlyman
Jan-14-2015, 12:36pm
Very nice! I had one that was much more plain. It was the ultimate travel mando, no bass but your could sling it over your should and go for a hike or a bike ride with it without any hassles.

On another note: I would love to see pictures of your Nationals.

Last - why do people refer to Collings mandolins as Collins? Just a pet-peeve! The same goes for Calton cases... Calton not Carlton.

oldwave
Jan-14-2015, 12:45pm
As requested Nationals,

oldwave
Jan-14-2015, 12:47pm
Plus the old one

Tom Mylet
Jan-14-2015, 1:14pm
The pochette is great...but I'm a big fan of Doug's work. He's quite possibly the best inlay/engraving artist alive or dead. I also love the Nationals. We have similar taste. I have a full size Unger mandolin, an F-4 and one of the newer Nationals. (among others)

Tom Mylet

samlyman
Jan-14-2015, 1:17pm
Thanks! That is the finest looking RM1 I've seen. Is the National logo on it custom? What else is custom about the neck? I love the sound of these but the wide neck and the neck joint at the 12th fret make it harder to play way up the neck.

oldwave
Jan-14-2015, 2:32pm
It was a custom build that I spoke to National about, specifically the gloss finish, the curly maple, real ebony headstock face and the National logo inlayed and engraved in pearl. It ended up being the prototype for the Maple one the started selling a year or so later. Its a killer. One of a kind.

Tavy
Jan-14-2015, 3:03pm
Love that pocket mandolin.

Interesting how much back-fill there is around the inlay: makes me feel rather smug actually (that won't last!).

Also interesting how much "wobble" there is on the tuner plates - or maybe it's just the extreme close-up that makes it look that way?

oldwave
Jan-14-2015, 3:28pm
No wobble at all , quite stable. I have no knowledge of the back fill, however the engraving is world class.

billhay4
Jan-14-2015, 4:40pm
Would someone care to enlighten me on the grommet/guide thingies on the top of the headstock that the strings are threaded through? Are these an aftermarket item or do they come with the tuners he used. If the latter (even if not the latter), what are the tuners?
Cool instrument.
Bill Hay

oldwave
Jan-15-2015, 10:06am
Those guides are custom fabricated by Doug (as well as the tail piece cover) and embedded in the head-stock. I think the tuners are Stewart McDonald relic tuners, but the next time I see him I'll ask (he's a few miles from me and we've been friends for over 30 years)

Champlin
Jan-15-2015, 10:56am
Beautiful. I love the engraving.

Champlin
Jan-15-2015, 10:56am
Also.. I love the Howard Armstrong painting!!

oldwave
Jan-15-2015, 11:44am
Yes he was quite a character and a good friend. I have the privilege of playing with the Howard Armstrong Legacy featuring Ralphe Armstrong.

rubydubyr
Jan-15-2015, 11:51am
would need an awfully large pocket...... :disbelief:

Andy B
Feb-01-2015, 10:51pm
Here are some pictures of a Doug Unger F4 from 1984: