PDA

View Full Version : I think I have a problem...

MosquitoXEL
Jan-12-2015, 12:03am
I would consider myself to be a beginner mandolinist, I know a few songs and I am able to read sheet music, but I'm nothing great. Over the past year or two I have picked up several different mandolins ranging from a cheap rogue to an antique bowl back to a Weber Aspen. All in all, I have 7 mandolins and I have no idea how this happened. Does anyone else find yourself buying more mandolins when you know you already have plenty?

Should I see a doctor?

JeffD
Jan-12-2015, 12:05am
I only need one more.

I have an Aspen. I love it.

DataNick
Jan-12-2015, 1:02am
Take 2 Aspens and don't bother calling me in the morning...

Ellen T
Jan-12-2015, 2:09am
If you spend more time buying than you do playing, you might have a problem.

Petrus
Jan-12-2015, 3:48am
I went through quite a few low quality instruments in the early months of my learning curve. I made a couple of mistakes, in terms of poor instrument choices, that could have been avoided (or maybe not.) It seems that early on, the curve is so steep that you may well end up with a high burn rate. Later you'll probably plateau and slow down. I've always bought used, often up to 1/2 retail, so I've always broken even when selling something I've outgrown. (No more Kays or Harmonys for me, thanks.)

Just before the holidays I somehow ended up buying two different Fender electric mandos over the course of two weeks, just because the exact model I wanted happened to be available for about half the usual price. I feel "mando'ed out" right now and honestly can't think of any additional one I want, so that's a good place to be ... then you can focus on playing what you've got. You have to remember that each additional instrument is an additional commitment of your time and energy, not to mention stringing and tuning. Time divides while instruments and other interests multiply.

For some inexplicable reason, I bought a keyboard synthesizer at one point last year. I fooled around with it a couple of weeks before realizing I could neither afford the expense at that point nor get the full use out of the thing (it was a case of too much instrument for my needs.) I turned around and sold it at break even; best to think of these situations as free rentals or trial periods where you have the chance to try out something new at very little risk.

KGreene
Jan-12-2015, 4:29pm
Take 2 Aspens and don't bother calling me in the morning...

BAHAHAhahaha.... Nice!

KGreene
Jan-12-2015, 4:33pm
A doctor probably won't help (or so I'm learning) .... Embrace the afflition .... Every Cloud has a "Stiver" lining!!

darrylicshon
Jan-12-2015, 6:56pm
I ended up getting 2 new mandolins within a month last year 1 new and 1used both great deals, and better acoustic mandolins than i had after playing the new ones i knew i didn't want some of my older ones, so some how i ended up selling 2 which both had thinner nuts and smaller frets, luckily i bought both used so i didn't lose any money, right now i am trying not to buy that oval hole i want

F-2 Dave
Jan-12-2015, 8:39pm
You mean you want to stop?

Mickey King
Jan-12-2015, 8:47pm
You should be locked up in an insane asylum......with the rest of us.

Russ Donahue
Jan-12-2015, 9:18pm
Welcome to the support group for acquiring behavior...we seem to enable every possible purchase. As is fondly said, the number of mandolins you NEED is the number you currently have at any time...plus one more.

allenhopkins
Jan-12-2015, 10:43pm
...Does anyone else find yourself buying more mandolins when you know you already have plenty?

No such thing as "plenty" of mandolins; always room for one more.

Should I see a doctor?

No, a dealer.

Ivan Kelsall
Jan-13-2015, 3:39am
I always wanted 2 - a good 'F' style & a good 'A' style. Having got them both (Webers),the 'A' style had a warped neck,so i traded it in for another 'F' style = 2 'F' styles.Then a few months ago,i was offered an Ellis 'A' style at a very good price. I refused it at first,but since owning an Ellis mandolin has been my goal for years,i eventually bought it. So i do have one more instrument than i set out to own.I've thought a few times about off-loading one of them (NOT the Ellis !),but they all sound good,& more importantly, 'different',so i reckon they're keepers,;)
Ivan~:>

Jesse Harmon
Jan-13-2015, 8:56am
You haven't mentioned having one built yet. You are just at the runny nose stage. Don't bother calling the doctor until you have fever. Besides asking the question here is like going down to the pub and asking if you have a drinking problem.

I wish I had the good sense Petrus has about buying new. Unfortunately I have been too faithful to instrument dealers and bought many new instruments and believe me they are not always faithful in return, even at best.