PDA

View Full Version : New Review

ccravens
Jan-11-2015, 5:23pm
Hello all,

I just wanted to post a review and sound clip of my new Girouard A mandolin, purchased from Sylvan Music in California a couple of weeks ago. I’ve owned and played a Gibson F9, Montana Flatiron and a Weber, and this is my favorite so far in terms of tone and responsiveness. I would describe the tone as crisp and clear, with a lot of sustain, which you can hear in the last seconds of the sound clip. It is pretty even across the strings, with good “woodines,” and good “pop” in the D and A strings. I can’t imagine how good it will sound after it gets some playing time in it.

It also plays easy and looks great. Fit and finish are superb. The back is a beautiful one-pieced maple with nice flame and figure from a board they obtained at a saw mill in New Hampshire. It has a raidiased fret board, medium fret wire, with an adi top and maple back, sides & neck.

Max and Laurie answered a bunch of my questions, and are great to deal with. I can’t imagine anyone purchasing or commissioning a mando from them and being unsatisfied.

:)

I tried to do some different things on the recording to try and show the instrument’s range, although my limited skills certainly don’t do it justice. Recorded with a budget A-T USB mic, and with dying strings, mistakes and sloppy playing left intact.

All in all, I couldn't be happier with my purchase!

Not sure how to imbed a sound clip into a post, but it is here:

https://soundcloud.com/ccravens

ccravens
Jan-11-2015, 5:25pm
BTW, some pics from the music store where it was purchased:

Russ Donahue
Jan-11-2015, 5:36pm
Very nice sounding instrument Chris. Thanks for sharing with us.

Caleb
Jan-11-2015, 6:19pm
Beautiful instrument, Chris! They might have the classiest font/logo design I've seen. That back piece almost looks like it's on fire. Enjoy it.

Astro
Jan-11-2015, 6:29pm
Great review, clips, and pics. Nice Mando ! Thanks !

Kowboy
Jan-11-2015, 8:20pm
Thanks for the link to your sound cloud Chris. I listened and I did enjoy. I like where you are at with your music. Loved Satan's Jeweled Crown. Kenny

JEStanek
Jan-12-2015, 9:06am
Nice! Congratulations!

Jamie

Artie1957
Jan-12-2015, 9:31am
An absolutely stunning mandolin!
I really enjoyed your sound clip too!

ccravens
Jan-12-2015, 11:08am
Thanks for the comments all.

If you're in the market, I'd give Max and Laurie a try.

I shouldn't think you'd be disappointed. I know I'm not.

Now to get back to playing mando and see if I can regain what I've lost after 2 years of concentrating on fiddle. It'll be a fun journey with my Girouard!

Now the fun of experimenting with different strings begins....

:)

roberto216
Jan-13-2015, 1:05pm
That's a beauty! Congrats. I have Girouard #61 and it's all I think I'll ever need. I had Max put a finger rest on mine. Never had one before but I like that too. 128868

roberto216
Jan-13-2015, 1:06pm
That's a beauty! Congrats. I have Girouard #61 and it's all I think I'll ever need. I had Max put a finger rest on mine. Never had one before but I like that too. It's not as red as this photo:

Cicerojoe
Jan-13-2015, 4:03pm
Congrats! I just picked up Girouard #105 a few weeks ago from Max and Laurie at their new shop in Pawtucket, RI. Looks a lot like yours - including the one-piece back. I also think it's all I'll ever need (for now, anyway...).