PDA

View Full Version : Sneak Peek at Mandolin Camp North 2015 - awesome lineup!

joni24
Jan-11-2015, 1:51pm
Although I haven't heard anything officially yet about this year's Mandolin Camp North in Charlton, MA, I stumbled upon their updated website:
http://musiccampsnorth.com/mcn/

The list of instructors is phenomenal:

Mike Compton – Carl Jones – Roland White – Laurie Lewis – Tom Rozum – Sharon Gilchrist – Alan Bibey – Rich DelGrosso – Don Stiernberg – Frank Solivan – Erynn Marshall – David Surette – Skip Gorman – Lorraine Hammond – Alan Kaufman – John Rossbach and more to come!

This definitely looks like a year not to miss, especially for you east coast USA players!

Amanda Gregg
Jan-11-2015, 3:34pm
Yes, certainly does look amazing! It's still not clear to me whether that is really this year's lineup or just a list of past participants. If it is this year's list, then wowza! In any case, since the camp is under new management, I would hope that as many of us as possible would go to show our continued support for Mando Camp North. I'm going to try very hard to be there.

Mandobar
Jan-11-2015, 4:10pm
Does anyone know who is running it?

joni24
Jan-11-2015, 8:31pm
Does anyone know who is running it?

Per Mike Holmes, founder of Music Camps North, "The new directors/owners are old friends of the Camps. Mike Kropp,
recognized as New England's premier banjo player and well known by anyone
who has attended BCN as a fine teacher in many styles, will be the new Camp
Director. He will share ownership responsibilities with another long-time
camper, Richard Pertz. Both have attended BCN almost from the beginning.
Phil Zimmerman will remain as a Music Director and many of the staff will
remain as well."

Amanda Gregg
Jan-11-2015, 8:32pm
From Mike Holmes's September email to Mando Camp North supporters:

"The new directors/owners are old friends of the Camps. Mike Kropp,
recognized as New England's premier banjo player and well known by anyone
who has attended BCN as a fine teacher in many styles, will be the new Camp
Director. He will share ownership responsibilities with another long-time
camper, Richard Pertz. Both have attended BCN almost from the beginning.
Phil Zimmerman will remain as a Music Director and many of the staff will
remain as well."

Amanda Gregg
Jan-11-2015, 8:33pm
Joni, you beat me to it to by seconds! :)

Amanda Gregg
Jan-24-2015, 2:21pm
The website has been updated and includes online registration. Yep, that amazing group of teachers really is the lineup. Wow.

Ryk Loske
Jan-24-2015, 5:31pm
Amanda's enthusiasm is very well founded. Lynne has gone two years and i went last year to follow Don Stiernberg around like a puppy.

An important aspect of this camp is how phenomenal it is for beginners. The beginner track is just plain great. You can show up with a mandolin you bought the previous weekend and the staff will have you up and running by the end of the weekend. Lynne went as an Advancing Beginner her first year and just jumped in skill level.

We're already booked.

Ryk

joni24
Jan-24-2015, 6:27pm
Hey, Ryk, so glad that you and Lynne will be coming back this year. I wanted to thank you again for your mando chord chart that you mailed to me after last year's class... much appreciated! It's nice to see that even the students help each other out at this mando camp. Can't wait to attend the classes offered by this phenomenal list of instructors. The challenge will be in deciding priorities and which ones I'll need to skip in this short 3-day camp!

Ryk Loske
Jan-24-2015, 9:23pm
Hi Joni,

It seems like once an offender you're just bound to repeat. Look forward to seeing you and your spousal unit again too. So many choices! Of the three "camps" i've been to and the four Lynne has .... MCN is easily the best for both instruction and students of all levels working with and for each other.

See you in April,

Ryk