PDA

View Full Version : Tony Trischka

BenE
Mar-01-2004, 4:07pm
Tony put on a great show by himself with the exception of a couple of tunes played on the open-back and gourd banjo with another fellow from here in Arkansas. One thing of interest to us mandolin players is that he played Old Dangerfield and before he started he talked about Bill Monroe. He told about how he had transcribed Bill's mandolin solo over to the banjo...When he played that solo it was very noticable that it wasn't your average banjo solo....the rolls were missing but it sounded like he was picking it out like you would on a mandolin...It was very cool. He did a Beatles melody that was really fun for the crowd. A great night of music!

jim simpson
Mar-01-2004, 11:36pm
Thanks for the review Ben,
I think I have seen Tony in just about every configuration over the years. I have never been dissapointed in his presentation or performance. He truly loves what he does. Once I asked him to autograph an LP jacket and he took 10 minutes to draw a caricature in addition to his autograph!
Too much!

Scotti Adams
Mar-02-2004, 7:43am
I had the pleasure of getting to know Tony back in the late 80's...when he had the group Skyline....had many a memorable jam sessions with him and got to know Barry Mitteroff also.....then I lost contact with him. Out of the blue a couple of years later I get a phone call..its Tony wanting me to move to New York and play with him...I politely told him I couldnt...my wife(at the time) and #just had our son and I landed a good job...I passed that chance of a lifetime on to Harley Allen...he,Tony,Debbie Nims and Kathy Chiavla went on to form the short lived band The Big Dogs...Harley later moved to Nashville and is working on his second million now and a big time songwriter...he later married Debbie Nims she is Garth Brooks backup singer and Kathy went on to have a very succesful career of her own....life just gets in the way for me alot of times http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif Ive always loved Tonys playing...hes in a league of his own, first rate and first class.

John Ritchhart
Mar-06-2004, 5:38pm
Scotti, different paths, different rewards. I respect your decision immensely. Enjoy your family.

Scotti Adams
Mar-07-2004, 8:24am
Scotti, different paths, different rewards. I respect your decision immensely. Enjoy your family.
..at the time I thought it was a good decision..now that I am older I think it was a great decision...as much as I love playing...I love the family thing more...My new wife and I have 4 kids now...3 boys 4,8 & 15 and a little girl,,,she will be 1 year old next month...I play as much as I want and still get to be with them...The Trishka experience was one of about 4 that I turned down...I have finally realized my dream of the house on the hill with a front porch from which I can see visitors as they come up the drive...we are going to start raising sheep for the 4H thing....it will be fun....plus Ive got alot of other Honeydos to keep me busy...so my mando is MY time..they know it...they let me do it when I find the time http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif