Je suis Irlandais...
Je suis Americain...

Je suis... Fatigue...

jclover
Jan-09-2015, 8:38pm
Vive la France!

brunello97
Jan-09-2015, 8:59pm
I have been to France many, many times and think very highly of the culture, the language, the geography, the people. Especially the people.

I have many French friends and they epitomize much of what I hold dear in friendships: unflinching loyalty and the simple pleasures found in doing ordinary things together.

I realize this is a troubled time and my sympathies are unbounded. These current events are so loaded with passions that I fear this forum cannot steer its way through them without opinions and voices becoming unhinged.

Before the thread is closed, count me among those who say with all sincerity: 'Vive la France' --and all the wonderful things that means--and also that it is best that this conversation takes place someplace else.

Mick

FLATROCK HILL
Jan-09-2015, 9:18pm
Before the thread is closed, count me among those who say with all sincerity: 'Vive la France' --and all the wonderful things that means--and also that it is best that this conversation takes place someplace else.

Mick

Agreed. The horrors in the news, in the World are inescapable. I look here for at least some temporary refuge.

carbonpiou
Jan-10-2015, 12:20am
The objective is absolutely not throw a discution. It does not have its place at all here, this is indisputable.
This post is right to say that the French mandolin players are in mourning.
Thank you, friends.

Bertram Henze
Jan-10-2015, 12:41am
This not just France. It's humankind. And about those who probably never got to play a musical instrument.

nickster60
Jan-10-2015, 12:46am
I wish the people of France the very best and sincerely hope they pull together the way our country did during 9/11. This is a evil movement and hopeful there will be a unified effort to stem future violence. Accepting there is a problem would be a good start for our world leaders.

EdHanrahan
Jan-10-2015, 12:53am
A disproportionate number of my favorite yarns, musical and otherwise, resulted from a 1-week stay in Paris at Christmas of '91. Still makes me smile.

mrmando
Jan-10-2015, 1:29am
I was in Paris on 9/11. On the whole, the French people I met (including the mayor of Versailles) were kind and supportive. Today I owe them my kindness and support.

Petrus
Jan-10-2015, 1:41am
I realize this is a troubled time and my sympathies are unbounded. These current events are so loaded with passions that I fear this forum cannot steer its way through them without opinions and voices becoming unhinged.

I doubt that anyone here would actually defend the attackers' actions, so I'm not sure what there is to argue about other than tactical details which are far afield of the forum subject matter.

journeybear
Jan-10-2015, 1:44am
Vive la France!

This not just France. It's humankind.

Je suis d'accord. Je aime la France, les Français, et beaucoup de choses Françaises. Je suis très triste à cause des morts, l'autre jour. Je ne comprends pas comment ou pourquoi ces choses sont possibles. Ils sont si mal.

Mais aussi, il est vrai que ce ne est pas l'endroit pour parler de ces choses. Je comprends que nous aimons parler de beaucoup de choses avec nos amis icis, mais les règles pour les sujets ici sont bonne et juste.

Nous avons besoin de la paix - maintenant et pour toujours.

Bertram Henze
Jan-10-2015, 1:50am
Let's demonstrate that we have what those killers can never hope to gain: peace of mind. Music is a helper with this.

Petrus
Jan-10-2015, 2:07am
Paris is on my bucket list of places to visit. I've been all 'round this world but somehow managed to get halfway through life w/o hitting Paris and that is not acceptable! :grin:

BTW, to make it slightly mando-related, it should be noted that these dopes are also very much against music of all types, especially instrumental music. There's a good Nat'l Geographic documentary on music in Afghanistan under the Taliban (different group I know, same basic ideals) and interviewed several musicians who had to go into hiding and literally buried their instruments in the ground to avoid them being destroyed by the authorities. One well known local musician had his instrument confiscated (I forget the name of it offhand) and they simply smashed it to bits right then and there.

Bertram Henze
Jan-10-2015, 2:24am
it should be noted that these dopes are also very much against music of all types, especially instrumental music.

The man that hath no music in himself, Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils; The motions of his spirit are dull as night, And his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted. Mark the music.

(Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice)

journeybear
Jan-10-2015, 2:25am
There's a fascinating movie about the underground music scene in Tehran, "No One Knows About Persian Cats." They have to operate stealthily, setting up pop-up shows spontaneously, publicizing by word of mouth. It's really amazing how they manage to do it and stay a step ahead of the police.

Ivan Kelsall
Jan-10-2015, 3:38am
Those on here from a UK background,will know of the 'urban myth' that says that we Brits.dislike the French ( for some obscure reason !!!) - nothing could be further from the truth. If anything,we're a bit in awe of them. They protect their country & culture with a passion that we don't seem to. The horrors that have been perpetrated in France this week have resounded throughout the world, & they should be a warning to us all,especially our respective governments. Personally,i feel incredibly sad for those French families that have lost their loved ones. Their loss must seem intolerable,as were the vicious acts which killed them,
Ivan

Toni Schula
Jan-10-2015, 5:08am
I pitty ALL innocent people who suffer from ANY violence!
This includes innocent Muslims, of course.

Darren Bailey
Jan-10-2015, 5:11am
I'm sure it's different in the USA, but over here in the UK things are ridiculous at the moment. Lots of people quoting phrases about free speech but no one able to express their true thoughts. We have a media culture that pretends to be outraged at the idea that a group would attack free speech but the minute anyone says anything that doesn't fit with their politics they condemn and reject them. This whole "Je suis Charlie" thing is a case in point. It means nothing but they've had it on the front of every newspaper. Empty platitudes. I suspect free speech will be curtailed very soon under the banner of freedom, liberty or good taste. Free speech in the UK simply means you're allowed to say things if they conform to the message of the day.

Pete Jenner
Jan-10-2015, 5:33am
I agree Darren. People are getting big gaol time for tweets and the like. Some speech is more free than other speech.