PDA

View Full Version : Harmony batwing

Mickyb
Jan-08-2015, 4:03pm
Hi guys

I'm new to this site and i suppose kinda new to the mandolin also. Ive recently purchased what I think is a beautiful mando in a Harmony Batwing and keen to find out more about this particular baby ? It was originally purchased in 1969, played for a while and then stored away ever since and has all the beauty of a new mando, Ive giving it to an instrument doctor to check it out for me and set it up properly as the neck, which seems to be adjustable and removable, needs to be reset. I know from a little research that there were many of these produced in the states (im in Ireland) in the 60's and early 70's but i also know there were some copies on the market too, is there any way of telling if my batwing is original or a copy ? also if anyone who has one of these mando's or had one in the past, could you tell me how you found them as in quality and sound etc. Thanks guys, and hope to hook up with many of you on this site :-)

F-2 Dave
Jan-08-2015, 5:11pm
Welcome Micky,

Could you post some pictures of your mandolin? Sorry I can't help you with info about your mandolin. I've always kind of wanted a Bat Wing, if for no other reason than they look so cool.

Charlieshafer
Jan-08-2015, 5:13pm
Others will have to be more useful as to the history and the provenance, but I did break down and get one just because they look so cool. Tone-wise, mine is pretty plain, nowhere near as bright as even a mid-range Eastman I have that I think I paid around $600 for. The tuners slip a little, all that old-mandolin stuff, but it just has a great mojo to it, and it's always really fun to play. I'm happy I have one.

allenhopkins
Jan-08-2015, 10:34pm
You get "mojo" from a Harmony bat-wing; you also get what was basically a fancier cheap mandolin. Not surprised that OP's needs a neck re-set. Solid woods -- at least I believe so -- but not much hand-work, rather thickly built.

Love the silhouette, but not the sound.

MikeEdgerton
Jan-09-2015, 11:06am
There should be a date code stamped inside the sound holes like F69 or S72. Get that and some pictures of the front, back, and the front and the back of the headstock. It's pretty easy to identify the American built vs the Japanese built Batwings. Keep in mind that Harmony started importing them as parts and completed instruments near the end of production. As cool as they looked they weren't real stellar instruments.

Before it starts I know Yank played one but he was Yank. He also played an electric Kay.

Mickyb
Jan-09-2015, 3:03pm
Thanks guys, your comments are welcome. I know the batwing isn't a top of the range instrument but like you said they are sooo cool looking:-) I didn't check inside but there is a sticker H8026 on the back of the head stock which I assume is the model? I'm not expecting a quality sound from it but I'd be happy with an average tone. I'll post some pics as soon as it's back from the repair guy. Thanks again lads :-)

trevor
Jan-10-2015, 3:21am
I've had quite a few in. The tone varies quite a lot. The last one I had sounded really good.

bart mcneil
Jan-10-2015, 7:16am
_____ post deletedby author _______

bart mcneil
Jan-10-2015, 7:21am
These seem so show up quite often on eBay in remarkably good condition. Probably because they weren't such great sounding instruments, but looked so cool any self-respecting teenager just had to have one. I bought one with absolutely no sign of wear except that it had been used as a weapon or someone sat on it because the front was pushed all the way to the back. It repaired to reasonably good (looking) condition but of course the additional structural wood inside the instrument body probably did nothing good for the sound. How can one not love one these beauties?

darrylicshon
Jan-10-2015, 10:51am
I love the look will have to get one someday

Dave Greenspoon
Jan-10-2015, 11:46pm
I was looking at the Batwing posted today in the classifieds, and it hit me that the pickup looks like a DeArmond. I'm wondering if I'm correct, and if so, was this typical for the line?

harmonist34
Jan-11-2015, 7:27am
Yes, it's a DeArmond, and yes, that was typical.

Jeff Mando
Jan-11-2015, 11:34am
The Harmony batwing came both ways. Acoustic or with a pickup.