PDA

View Full Version : What have I found.....

Emma
Jan-06-2015, 5:18pm
Hello all
I have found an instrument in our attic. I think it is a type of mandolin. It has a flat back with flowers (fuchsias) on it. The back and sides are varnished although very scratched and worn. The front is unvarnished and worn. Can anyone tell me more about it please.
I will try to post a picture of it. Many thanks.

atbuckner21
Jan-06-2015, 5:29pm
This is awesome :) This is definitely a mandolin or part of the mandolin family!

Charles E.
Jan-06-2015, 7:03pm
It is a mandolin, and looks to be one of the mass produced instruments from the first part of the last century, ie, 1920's -30's.
I can't tell if is American or European from the photo's.
Being that it was in the attic for a long time it might have come unglued in some areas, including the braces inside. If you want to play it I would suggest having a qualified repair person look at it.

Neat find!

Bertram Henze
Jan-07-2015, 1:38am
The bridge looks more "basic" than the rest - might be some pocketknifed replacement. The headstock is blank - there may be some paper label inside the body, though, to give a hint re the maker.

MikeEdgerton
Jan-07-2015, 8:56am
The bridge isn't original, it appears it had some neck issues so they removed the upper frets so they wouldn't buzz and carved (roughly) a new bridge for it to raise it up.