PDA

View Full Version : Headphone pre-amp suggestions

mad dawg
Apr-01-2005, 6:41pm
What are your recommendations for a nice little inexpensive portable headphone pre-amp, so I can rock out on an electric solidbody through headphones? Effects such as distortion, reverb, or even chorus are defintely plusses, but so is a small size. (Am I asking for too much in a little package? #http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif )

jmkatcher
Apr-01-2005, 7:11pm
Have you looked at the Korg Pandora PX4? I've considered one myself but they're not that cheap, though they occasionally run a special where they throw in a pair of cordless headphones.

mad dawg
Apr-01-2005, 7:26pm
That looks very nice, but I was thinking of something way cheaper, perhaps < $50. I just did some eBay surfing and saw the Arion Hot Watt II, which at $49, is more in line with my budget for this item; any feedback on it or something comparable?

mikeomando
Apr-01-2005, 10:49pm
I've got a pocket rockit that is a few years old that has distortion, chorus, and I believe reverb on it. It works pretty well. If you want it, I'll sell it to you for $30 + $5 shipping. I use a Line 6 POD now when I want to play through headphones. It sounds better, which is what you would expect for 300 smackers. PM me if you want it. Do a google search and you can see what the newest model looks like.

bjc
Apr-04-2005, 10:12pm
An old Rockman would be great...nice dirt, but not overbearing, good chorus...lots of fun...

ryru14
Apr-05-2005, 8:14am
Danelectro pocket studio. got mine for $25, distortion and slap echo, comes with headphones with a long cord plus a belt clip.
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

guitarzan
Jun-17-2021, 4:22pm
Don't buy the AmPlug from Vox...the idea is good, I mean it is nice, but very cheaply made...every one I had, the plug in connection gets worn out quickly...maybe had I kept the headphones plugged in all the time, it might've lasted longer. If you can find an ARION HOT WATT II somewhere...it's about the size of a Walkman a bit bigger, has 4 effects choices and it's great. I lost the first one I had, or sold it, and just found another one on eBay...it should be here soon. Similar to a Rockman headphone amp but I like the ARION HOT WATT II much better. Look on eBay for one, you'll love it. Trust me.

jparis51
Jun-18-2021, 9:13am
Agree on avoiding the Vox AmPlugs! As far as these micro amps go, I've had good results so far from the Valeton Rushead Max ($40), and my wife is happy with the new Fender Mustang Micro even though it's overpriced (but in fairness it has Bluetooth on the aux input).

Both units sound great and have all the effects you want, and we like that they have USB rechargeable lithium ion batteries. We're not comfortable with these things hanging off our guitars and mandolins though, so we run instrument cables into a tuner and plug the micro amps into that (which also makes it way easier to work the settings).

thistle3585
Jun-18-2021, 11:43am
I used to install these, along with an input jack for MP3 player, in electric mandolins. You could listen to yourself play as well as run backing tracks through it to play against. https://www.guitarfetish.com/Onboard-25-Watt-Guitar-Amp-Drive-a-speaker-OR-Headphones_p_567.html It had a crazy wiring diagram because I had to account for the different impedance between the various devices. Stand alone for playing is great. I've seen them put in small candy tins so that you can use them with any instrument. Use a stereo jack and wire it so that it is only turned on when the jack is installed so you don't burn through batteries.

lenf12
Jun-19-2021, 10:27am
As far as these micro amps go, I've had good results so far from the Valeton Rushead Max ($40), and my wife is happy with the new Fender Mustang Micro even though it's overpriced (but in fairness it has Bluetooth on the aux input).

Both units sound great and have all the effects you want, and we like that they have USB rechargeable lithium ion batteries. We're not comfortable with these things hanging off our guitars and mandolins though, so we run instrument cables into a tuner and plug the micro amps into that (which also makes it way easier to work the settings).

I recently bought the Rushead Max based on a recommendation (most likely yours, thank you very much jparis51) and totally agree. It sounds really good and has all the effects I'll ever need for silent playing in my apartment. It's the best $40 I've spent in a long time.

Len B.
Clearwater, FL

jparis51
Jun-19-2021, 12:43pm
You're more than welcome, enjoy!

Mandodork
Jun-23-2021, 8:09am
I got a Valeton Rushhead Max off Amazon for $40.
https://www.amazon.com/VALETON-Headphone-Rechargeable-Practice-Amplifier/dp/B0928VTXRB/ref=sr_1_4?crid=3P6LIGT173GL3&dchild=1&keywords=valeton+rushead+max&qid=1624453642&sprefix=Valeton%2Caps%2C184&sr=8-4
Amazingly good sound and effects.

mandroid
Jun-28-2021, 4:29pm
Will An Amp that cuts out the speaker as soon as you plug in a headphone work well enough?

:popcorn: