PDA

View Full Version : Francefco catania Value

aiorr
Jan-02-2015, 10:05pm
Hello,
A neighbor is selling an old mandolin and I'm trying to gauge its value. Below are the pictures he sent me. It still has the sticker, which I'm told reads: Strumenti Musicali A Corda Francefco catania; Catania. C.p.147.

Assuming, there are no cracks or separation, (which I will verify) can anyone help me approximate its value?

Thank you!
Adam

mrmando
Jan-02-2015, 10:33pm
That looks a tourist-grade instrument, made for export. Catania is a city in Sicily that once had a lot of mandolin builders, but the trade mostly died out after WWII. This appears to be postwar, judging from the tailpiece. I wouldn't expect it to be worth much; maybe $100 to $150 if it is playable and doesn't need a neck reset or some other heinous repair.

aiorr
Jan-03-2015, 7:30am
Thank you! I really appreciate your input.

That looks a tourist-grade instrument, made for export. Catania is a city in Sicily that once had a lot of mandolin builders, but the trade mostly died out after WWII. This appears to be postwar, judging from the tailpiece. I wouldn't expect it to be worth much; maybe $100 to $150 if it is playable and doesn't need a neck reset or some other heinous repair.

DavidKOS
Jan-03-2015, 7:35am
mrmando is correct about the instrument's overall market value. There are so many old bowl backs that unless they are very special it's hard to get much money for them.

However, if it is in good playing condition, how does it sound and feel? Although this may be a "tourist grade" instrument, it might sound surprisingly good, and if so that should be taken into consideration.

A lot depends on the buyer.