PDA

View Full Version : Nice video from Sam Bush

SpencerMando
Jan-01-2015, 12:59pm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6KelTAh224Sam just posted this video to Facebook, I really enjoyed it, his solo mandolin playing is fantastic. Thought the café might enjoy this:

Pete Jenner
Jan-01-2015, 1:05pm
Nice place to be playing mandolin.

SpencerMando
Jan-01-2015, 1:07pm
And what a mandolin! That thing looks absolutely stunning.

Bernie Daniel
Jan-01-2015, 1:51pm
Sam is still the man....so clean.......thanks for the video!

What mandolin is that BTW -- looks like a blonde F-5G?

FLATROCK HILL
Jan-01-2015, 2:54pm
Nice video and nice playing! It did get me wondering though...

I don't see any snow on the ground, but Sam is wearing a coat/vest. Let's just say it was 50 degrees F when he got in the gondola in Telluride. I'd guess he brought it with him from the indoors, lodge etc. (room temp). The trip takes just over 10 minutes and the elevation at the top (Moutain Village) is just about 2000 ft higher than it is at Telluride. At the standard adiabatic lapse rate that Gibson was cooled down an additional 10 or 11 degrees (F) during that short ride.
It doesn't appear that the finish cracked; it didn't even go out of tune!

Either my calculations are wrong, or I worry too much. Maybe both.

Bernie Daniel
Jan-01-2015, 3:05pm
Nice video and nice playing! It did get me wondering though...

I don't see any snow on the ground, but Sam is wearing a coat/vest. Let's just say it was 50 degrees F when he got in the gondola in Telluride. I'd guess he brought it with him from the indoors, lodge etc. (room temp). The trip takes just over 10 minutes and the elevation at the top (Moutain Village) is just about 2000 ft higher than it is at Telluride. At the standard adiabatic lapse rate that Gibson was cooled down an additional 10 or 11 degrees (F) during that short ride.
It doesn't appear that the finish cracked; it didn't even go out of tune!

Either my calculations are wrong, or I worry too much. Maybe both.

I expect that your calculations are spot on. But that is why they got a hot picker to do the job -- Sam probably saved the day and the mandolin. The idea that entropy is always increasing applies only to the whole universe.

f5joe
Jan-01-2015, 3:44pm
Dave Harvey showed that mando to me at IBMA 2012 in Nashville. It had been made for Sam. Painted gold top just like their Les Pauls.

talladam
Jan-01-2015, 3:46pm
His right hand is so smooth and steady! I like the look of that mando too.

Bernie Daniel
Jan-01-2015, 7:20pm
Dave Harvey showed that mando to me at IBMA 2012 in Nashville. It had been made for Sam. Painted gold top just like their Les Pauls.

Could have fooled me -- it looks all the world like an F-5G that has been stained and finished like a Goldrush?

Don Grieser
Jan-01-2015, 8:40pm
What kind of strap is that? Cool as Sam. The times I've ridden the gondola, it's been packed like sardines. I guess the King of Telluride gets to ride by himself.

This tune has been kicking my butt for months.

f5joe
Jan-01-2015, 10:32pm
Could have fooled me -- it looks all the world like an F-5G that has been stained and finished like a Goldrush?

Here it is. It is painted as a gold top. Nice too!

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8039/8071469342_e888f6fa5f_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/difoCw)DSCN3096 (https://flic.kr/p/difoCw) by f5joep (https://www.flickr.com/people/25046653@N04/), on Flickr

jochemgr
Jan-02-2015, 4:02am
For $5500 you can be the second person to own a goldtop F-5G!

http://www.gbase.com/gear/gibson-f-5g-mandolin-custom-gold-2011-fiddleb

Bertram Henze
Jan-02-2015, 4:10am
Nice place to be playing mandolin.

In fact it's better to have a mandolin with you in there - the whole system might get derailed/stuck (http://wtvr.com/2014/10/22/high-wire-rescue-gondola-stuck-above-rhine/), and what do you do then during those hours of waiting for the rescue team?

Bernie Daniel
Jan-02-2015, 7:09am
Here it is. It is painted as a gold top. Nice too!

Nice photo thanks!

Never been too big a fan of painted mandolins but that is impressive looking --I might just make an exception for a gold one. It makes a great contrast with the other mandolins around it.

You know it gives me an idea for David Harvey to consider.

Why not take the best of Gibson's modern electric instrument technology and make a new round of Gibson Em-200's? They would look great painted in Les Paul color schemes. :)

MiG-19
Jan-02-2015, 8:01am
Beautiful: Scenery, song, and the mandolin.

mandopops
Jan-02-2015, 12:13pm
Yeah Bernie,
I like the idea of a EM-200 Gold Top. It would be hard to resist.
About one like the "Lucy-Red" reissue? With 2 mini-humbuckers?
Sorry for the thread hi-jack.
Joe B

pheffernan
Jan-02-2015, 1:05pm
For $5500 you can be the second person to own a goldtop F-5G!

And yet it seems to be Sam's beater! :))

eadg145
Jan-02-2015, 1:10pm
This tune has been kicking my butt for months.

"Brilliancy" has been my "learn this tune over the holiday" tune this year, and I'll bet I've watched that video a dozen times in the past week. It's crazy fun to play, but it's kicking my butt as well. In particular, I'm having trouble deciding on the fingering (which fingers, not where) for the "b" part. If anyone has advice, I sure would appreciate it. It's troublesome untying my fingers after attempting that part at a decent tempo.

Don Grieser
Jan-02-2015, 3:12pm
You can see Sam's fingerings on the B part. That's what I'm using.

Pete Jenner
Jan-12-2015, 5:20am
"Brilliancy" has been my "learn this tune over the holiday" tune this year, and I'll bet I've watched that video a dozen times in the past week. It's crazy fun to play, but it's kicking my butt as well. In particular, I'm having trouble deciding on the fingering (which fingers, not where) for the "b" part. If anyone has advice, I sure would appreciate it. It's troublesome untying my fingers after attempting that part at a decent tempo.

I've started learning it too and am equally troubled by the left hand in the B part so I've decided to perfect the A part.

I found this (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?10535-Brilliancy&highlight=brilliancy) thread from 2005 in which John Hamlett shows he is not just a brilliant luthier.

dang
Jan-12-2015, 6:46am
In particular, I'm having trouble deciding on the fingering (which fingers, not where) for the "b" part.

In a previous post (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?104998-Song-is-too-Difficult-to-learn!&p=1275940&viewfull=1#post1275940) I lamented about how difficult that B part is to get up to speed, got some advice to approach it other ways... But I still like Sam's version the best! So I am still working on it.

Get the fingering down and start working it up to tempo, it is worth it!

Randy Smith
Jan-12-2015, 1:26pm

See Tom Dillon's café tab on this tune. It's based on Sam Bush's version and gives fingering very close to Bush's if it isn't exact.

Pete Jenner
Mar-18-2015, 11:40am
Can someone please explain to me which of these is correct?

In all of the Bush transcriptions I can find, this is the fingering in the first two bars of part B.

|7-0-474-0-4-7-0-|9-0-595-0-5-9-0-|
|-------------------|-------------------|
|
In this video, Sam appears to be playing this:

|7-0-474-0-7-4-0-|9-0-595-0-9-5-0-|

Yours sincerely,

Confused

Joey Anchors
Mar-18-2015, 7:35pm
I really like that gold top!

Pete Jenner
Mar-18-2015, 9:10pm

In all of the Bush transcriptions I can find, this is the fingering in the first two bars of part B.

|

Yours sincerely,

Confused

Anyone?

Violingirl
Mar-19-2015, 3:44am
Oh, that was lovely, thank you. I am so homesick now.

Pete Jenner
Mar-19-2015, 3:54am

|

Yours sincerely,

Confused

I'll try asking the question in a different forum.

jshane
Mar-19-2015, 6:12am
I'll try asking the question in a different forum.

I will answer by saying that I dont think there is a "correct" version- of this, or of many songs that are popularly played ( I mean who would be the authority on that??).

And, I have heard Sam Bush play several (slightly) different versions of the song... probably depending on his mood, or just what his fingers happen to do at that place/time.

I dont have a hundredth of Sam's talent, but I'll wager that I dont play any given fiddle tune that I know well the EXACT same way every time-- particularly as the verses get less fixed and more interpretive.

So, pick the one you like, OR, even better, learn both ways and shake it up, from time to time.

Bertram Henze
Mar-19-2015, 6:33am
I will answer by saying that I dont think there is a "correct" version- of this, or of many songs that are popularly played ( I mean who would be the authority on that??).

This. If I see correctly, there's only two notes exchanged - that's nothing compared to perfectly legal variations on tunes/songs in general.

Pete Jenner
Mar-19-2015, 6:36am

And, I have heard Sam Bush play several (slightly) different versions of the song... probably depending on his mood, or just what his fingers happen to do at that place/time.

I dont have a hundredth of Sam's talent, but I'll wager that I dont play any given fiddle tune that I know well the EXACT same way every time-- particularly as the verses get less fixed and more interpretive.

So, pick the one you like, OR, even better, learn both ways and shake it up, from time to time.

Thanks for that reply. I just want to do it right but I guess there is no 'right'. I'm starting to realise that folk music in the US is rather fluid. I'm not even sure which version I prefer.

I would like to hear from others on which version they play though.