PDA

View Full Version : First and last Old Wave

oldwave maker
Dec-31-2014, 6:56pm
Thanks to pal Steff for sending home #1 from 1990, with collapsed Sitka top, "Self Contained Alpha Wave Generator #1" label, and "The Copy" peghead inlay. Originally traded off for a Martin 000-18, it was gifted to her by the 3rd or 4th owner after long losing battle with string tension. Engelmann resurrection is planned this spring. Posing with last label of 2014, ovalhole C#-550, heading to Michigan. Maybe its time to invest in the big robots, since I seem to be slowing down every time a new time-saving tool is purchased!

JEStanek
Dec-31-2014, 7:43pm
Bill,
Your output is amazing... in style and quality. Congratulations on an amazing 24 years. Tomorrow begins your silver anniversary as a builder of fine mandolins. Amazing. Keep on keepin on!

Jamie

Rob Zamites
Dec-31-2014, 8:57pm
Congrats Bill,

You've been a hell of an inspiration to more than a few of us here! Cheers and here's to another 25 years of luthier magic from New Mexico!

Steve Sorensen
Jan-01-2015, 12:34am
:cool: ~o) ~:> :mandosmiley:

Steve

Frank Russell
Jan-01-2015, 4:26am
Bill- Happy Maker's Anniversary. I kept the babies awake ringing in the new year playing the hell out of the coffee-colored Christmas present you sent me. It gets better every time I pick it up, which is saying something, since it was a monster the day I got it. Thanks again for the great work. When you fix that #1's top, please don't change the peg head inlay, it's a classic. Happy New Year to you and your family. Frank

Skip Kelley
Jan-01-2015, 8:45am
Bill, your work is always a pleasure to see! I find your mandolins inspiring!

maj34
Jan-01-2015, 9:20am
"The Copy" has to be one of my all-time favorite peghead inlays!

MikeEdgerton
Jan-01-2015, 11:13am
"The Copy" has to be one of my all-time favorite peghead inlays!

Agreed.

Steve Sorensen
Jan-01-2015, 12:11pm
By the way, you darn well better mean "First and Most Recent" not "First and Last" ! ! !

The world is a better place when you are making waves!

Steve

oldwave maker
Jan-01-2015, 12:26pm
That would be my last if I could find work as a chocolate tester or sex object, alas....
Ezra stopped in to spank a few of the 'most recent'
7Dggq87AyFU

TheMandoKit
Jan-01-2015, 1:20pm
Bill:

Amazing, from first to last/most recent. As we have come to expect from you.

Love the inlay on the peghead of #1. Although, thinking about how cool it would be to have a secondary label on my next OW that says "Self Contained Alpha Wave Generator . . .." Would fit well just under the regular OW label. :grin:

red7flag
Jan-02-2015, 9:28am
I am fortunate to have a short neck oval A style Old Wave. Just a beautiful playing and tonally rich sounding instrument. What a great piece of work. I have also played an F5 that a friend commissioned Bill to make. Another lovely playing, sounding and looking instrument. Bill is not afraid to go way out of the box, with really fun results. Were I on my PC, I would provide links to past threads here at the cafe with conversation and pictures of some of Bill's more phantasmagorical work. If somebody would post them, I am sure every one would benefit. Thanks Bill. You are the real deal.

Cheryl Watson
Jan-02-2015, 10:32am
"The Copy"---:))

Jim Garber
Jan-02-2015, 3:16pm
Bill: I think I may have to commission you to make me an exact copy (less the sunken top) of "The Copy" -- an amazing historic artefact! Happy New Year and 25th Anniversary!

oldwave maker
Jan-02-2015, 9:34pm
Compton ballcap tribute F5 peghead, sweet melondolin and whoa! blue f5, achtuff octave and gumby bass, the one F5 and the other A4, and the go pack cheesehead. Susie still thinks I may be 'within the range of normalcy'......

Grommet
Jan-04-2015, 10:59am
#555 sounds great to my ears Bill! Also, gotta love the "Whoa" and Gumby headstocks.

Scott

Bob Bass
Jan-04-2015, 2:44pm
Bill-

Happy New Year! and 25th Anniversary! Fantastic, fun, funny, whimsical, and high level luthiery- all at the same time! ultimate TRC w/barcode!

Many more anniversaries and instruments to come!