PDA

View Full Version : have you ever used "for my retirement" as a reason to buy a mando

darylcrisp
Dec-31-2014, 3:14pm
hoping to retire in about 12 years, so I'm thinking I can use this now and consider it as "planning" for my retirement.

the same mandolin I can buy used right now will probably cost ignormously much higher in 12 years.............................

I think its a good plan to discuss with the wife.................

thoughts
d

Sterling
Dec-31-2014, 3:17pm
Buy in bulk. I have over 40 trumpets that might get us a couple years of retirement. Buy and love what you have. Don't think of investment because you will have to get rid of it sometime.

pheffernan
Dec-31-2014, 3:33pm
I have used "I never expect to retire" as an excuse to buy several!

Bruce Cech
Dec-31-2014, 3:41pm
I did in a round about way Told her I wanted to try the guitar after I retired. I had not played in 35 or 40 years. Didn't go too well, so I suggested selling the guitar and trying the mandolin. That was a home run. On my 4th mandolin and I've been retired for 7 years. In fact, my wife actually requests that I play the mandolin for a while. No s---, its true.

Bradley
Dec-31-2014, 3:43pm
Nope, but I used money in my retirement fund to buy one and later paid it back :)

heck, if you can make the sales pitch go for it !

Bertram Henze
Dec-31-2014, 3:47pm
I have used "I never expect to retire" as an excuse to buy several!

Yep, life is too short.

bratsche
Dec-31-2014, 4:22pm
I never planned to retire, either, and definitely do not want to, but it's being slowly and relentlessly forced on me, one less job at a time; drip, drip, drip. Thanks to this freakin' lousy economy and what it's done to the self-employed...

/rant mode off

...oh, and Happy New Year everyone! :) :(

bratsche

Mark Richardson
Dec-31-2014, 4:33pm
Yes. I had a mandolin built for me back in 2007 by Bobby Wintringham (San Juan Mandolins). I just retired last summer and moved to Colorado. I wanted to buy a nice mando while I still had a nice paycheck. I am glad I did.

John Soper
Dec-31-2014, 4:52pm
As has been stated many times in MC posts, don't buy a mandolin as an investment, expecting quantum leaps in monetary value to boost your retirement funds. On the other hand, investing in a quality instrument that will enhance your enjoyment of retirement is a different thing altogether. When you quit this mortal coil, it can be part of your estate. You can't take it with you, so you might as well get the best instrument you can afford and enjoy it while you are able.

EdHanrahan
Dec-31-2014, 5:01pm
... wanted to buy a nice mando while I still had a nice paycheck.
NOW we're gettin' to familiar territory!

Now that I AM retired, might yet buy a really nice one if, say, the lottery pays off. Top of my personal lust, uhm, list is the used $8K-$9K Altman F that I tried several years ago.

Astro
Dec-31-2014, 5:03pm

1. The sooner you start, the happier you will be.

2. The more mando you buy, the longer it will be before you can retire.

3. Refer back to #1. Balance that out.

4. Quality Mando's may be, relatively speaking, cheaper in 12 years then now as all the baby boomers retiring now with their high end retirement mandos will be infirm or kicking off by then.

5. You may kick off by then too; so, refer back to number 1.

6. Tell your wife to picture you in 12 years--at home--all day long--every single day--with her--in the same house--learning beginner plucks and stutter tremolos of scales and Old Joe Clark over and over and over again. Better to get the beginner phase over now while she doesn't have to spend all day hearing you.

Its quite addictive and, refer to number 1.

SWS
Dec-31-2014, 6:12pm
Retirement is not guaranteed and neither is tomorrow for that matter. Buy now and enjoy life :)

Play music while you can, buy what you can and enjoy it for as long as you can.
How many times you have seen ads in the classifieds that someone posted sale due to arthritis, how many forum posts do you read with questions concerning tendinitis?

Just my .02 retirement is 20 years away at best and I am not married.

Teak
Dec-31-2014, 6:53pm
My inspiration for retirement comes from a 96-year-old guy that I saw playing jazz piano with a combo a couple of months back. That's what I want to be doing in "retirement", not sitting at home complaining about my aches and pains. I have a mandola on order and plan on learning to play that into and through retirement.

kenny boy
Dec-31-2014, 6:53pm
I like the bulk plan . a few more hurt much.

Kowboy
Dec-31-2014, 7:00pm
I have already used the retirement excuse. It worked too! Here's another one that I am in the process of using and very few wives will contest this one. I would like to one day get a matching A for the F I now own. The plan I laid out to the wife is I have 2 grandsons and would like to leave each one a mandolin of their Grand Pa's. The wife and I talked it over and it is a go. Old Guy's Rule!

Astro
Dec-31-2014, 7:12pm
I have already used the retirement excuse. It worked too! Here's another one that I am in the process of using and very few wives will contest this one. I would like to one day get a matching A for the F I now own. The plan I laid out to the wife is I have 2 grandsons and would like to leave each one a mandolin of their Grand Pa's. The wife and I talked it over and it is a go. Old Guy's Rule!

Wow, you are a master mind !

And, how many can you have and still qualify for what constitutes "very few wives"...?

metrognome
Dec-31-2014, 7:27pm
Retirement is not guaranteed and neither is tomorrow for that matter. Buy now and enjoy life :)

Play music while you can, buy what you can and enjoy it for as long as you can.
How many times you have seen ads in the classifieds that someone posted sale due to arthritis, how many forum posts do you read with questions concerning tendinitis?

Just my .02 retirement is 20 years away at best and I am not married.

Yes!

Kowboy
Dec-31-2014, 8:10pm
Still with the same wife 43 years and first girl I ever dated. She's a keeper! Thanks for asking!
Wow, you are a master mind !

And, how many can you have and still qualify for what constitutes "very few wives"...?

barney 59
Dec-31-2014, 10:29pm
Yes, and it's contributed greatly to the fact that I'm going to have to work until I drop!

Petrus
Dec-31-2014, 10:38pm
hoping to retire in about 12 years, so I'm thinking I can use this now and consider it as "planning" for my retirement. the same mandolin I can buy used right now will probably cost ignormously much higher in 12 years......

Yeah, my KM-150 and my Gretsch New Yorker will surely help fund my retirement plans. :cool:

darylcrisp
Jan-01-2015, 1:18am
okay, you all talked me into it:grin:

oh, not meaning to buy and use for retirement funds as a resale-using the "buy it now while the price is good" concept;).

d

Ivan Kelsall
Jan-01-2015, 3:53am
I took retirement 3 years early 7 years ago due to chronic lower back pain & bi-lateral Sciatica. As part of my pension settlement,i was very surprised to find i'd been awarded a reasonable sum of cash as well. I decided that if i was ever going to own a US built mandolin (i had my first Lebeda at the time),now was the time to buy one,so i bought my Weber "Fern". It was lucky i did so. About 3 weeks later,the world wide financial crash happened & the UK £ crashed against the US $. The price of a Weber "Fern" went up by £800 UK,& a few weeks later by a further £500 - a total increase of £1,300 UK.- that's around $2,025 US right now. Was i ever glad that i'm not a ditherer !.
Anybody's best plan,is to buy your dream instrument as soon as you can, because the cost of a top quality mandolin (or any other instrument) is going to increase,& in Daryl's case,in 12 years,the cost might simply be prohibitive for him & many others like him. We all have our 'cut-off' point when it comes to how much we're willing to pay,
Ivan

Bertram Henze
Jan-01-2015, 4:47am
...now was the time to buy one,so i bought my Weber "Fern". It was lucky i did so. About 3 weeks later,the world wide financial crash happened & the UK £ crashed against the US $. The price of a Weber "Fern" went up by £800 UK,& a few weeks later by a further £500 - a total increase of £1,300 UK.- that's around $2,025 US right now. Was i ever glad that i'm not a ditherer !.

Looking into Greece, it might be time for that again. So if there is an instrument you always longed for... ;)

Colin Lindsay
Jan-01-2015, 4:54am
Not for a Mando, but I’ve told Roger Bucknall I want one of his Ken Nicol Signature acoustic guitars, with which I fell in love in his workshop in 2014, for my retirement present to myself in 2017. (No, I’ll not be 65 either!) This will be when the music will really take off - no job to take up playing time - so I’ll deserve quality instruments.. :)

journeybear
Jan-01-2015, 6:21am
No, impossible, as, even though I unofficially retired from the workaday world 13 years ago, I have been working very hard, the most ever, as a musician. As a result, I can no longer afford to retire. ;)

Winfield
Jan-01-2015, 8:38am
This is exactly what I'm doing. Now whether to get a Red Diamond or Ellis F5.

pheffernan
Jan-01-2015, 9:29am
Now whether to get a Red Diamond or Ellis F5.

Let me help you with that: http://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/82519.

Ray(T)
Jan-01-2015, 12:40pm
I was entitlled to a retirement gift when I retired early five years ago. I sent Trevor the cheque, took a spare guitar down to him and came home with a shiny new RM-1.

bohemianbiker
Jan-01-2015, 1:42pm
Several years ago I spent just over a year in Afghanistan. One evening a bunch of us were having dinner in the cafeteria, and we were all kinda griping about stuff that really wasn't gripe-worthy, and all fondly talking about retirement. All of us, that is, except 1 guy, who was already eligible for retirement, but was still working. The rest of us were not close enough to retirement to really merit talking about it.

After a bit, the 1 guy said: "What would you do in retirement, and why aren't you doing it now?" That really got me thinking, because I knew I wanted to get back into music, and I also knew that if waited until retirement to do that, I'd really hamstring some of my musical goals (as someone in another thread so aptly said, it takes 10 years to sound like you've been playing for 10 years). Within a year of having returned to the US, I joined a mandolin orchestra (on guitar) and started taking mandolin lessons, both of which I've been doing now for roughly 3 years. I'm really glad I had dinner with that guy. bb