PDA

View Full Version : I cant understand why not........

Randy Linam
Dec-30-2014, 4:15pm
I have a new Kentucky KM1050 from The Mandolin Store (not a Loar, but a nice mandolin).

It has a new set of D'Addario EXP74CM (Chris Thile Strings).

I use a Blue Chip pick.

I have a strap just like Chris Thile uses.

I make strange faces and make the body movements that Chris Thile makes while he is playing.

I even use a great condenser microphone with a shock mount when I record.

But even with all of the above, I don't sound anything like CT when I play and I just can't understand why.

Ummm-Life is filled with mystery.

Happy New Year to all, and even if you don't sound like CT, KEEP ON PICKIN!:mandosmiley:

Randy

Kowboy
Dec-30-2014, 4:58pm
Happy New Year and Roll Tide! I live in Hanover County where one James Bunch is from. He played lineman for The Bear, late 70's.

Ray(T)
Dec-30-2014, 5:03pm
Yes, but do you look like this -

Scary!

George R. Lane
Dec-30-2014, 5:24pm
I had a friend who owned Big Mons' 1978 F5L and it still sounded like me when I played it. Go figure.

Astro
Dec-30-2014, 5:42pm
Well, what kind of hat do you wear ?

Paul Hird
Dec-30-2014, 5:42pm
It's that "Nice Mandolin" that's killing you. You should have gotten the Loar!

mandroid
Dec-30-2014, 5:48pm
Starting before Puberty May Help Too..

9lbShellhamer
Dec-30-2014, 6:59pm
Are you drinking the same coffee? Maybe that's the source of his talent? We must figure this mystery out!

(and congrats on acquiring that KM1050 from TMS! I have a km950 and LOVE it! It get better every day, and it started off pretty dang good! They are fabulous values!)

Charles E.
Dec-30-2014, 7:27pm
Yes, but do you look like this -

Scary!

I did not know that Justin Bieber played mandolin.

Bertram Henze
Dec-31-2014, 2:41am
You forgot one indispensable component: CT himself. Once you got him it's easy: make him sit right behind you, wrap his arms around you and play your mandolin. :grin:

Seriously, this worked for Billy Redden in that Deliverance banjo scene, it's worth a try. ;)

Ray(T)
Dec-31-2014, 4:59am
Who's Justin Beiber?

rubydubyr
Dec-31-2014, 9:01am
You forgot one indispensable component: CT himself. Once you got him it's easy: make him sit right behind you, wrap his arms around you and play your mandolin. :grin:

Seriously, this worked for Billy Redden in that Deliverance banjo scene, it's worth a try. ;)

I didn't know CT was THAT old...... he wears the years well. ;)

rubydubyr
Dec-31-2014, 9:01am
Who's Justin Beiber?

No one...... :grin:

crisscross
Dec-31-2014, 9:16am
I had a green russian Big Muff once and still didn't sound anything like David Gilmour when I distorted my Strat with it. But thanks to Mr. Gilmour I sold it for a good price on E-Bay...(Not that of a Loar, but not bad either)

JeffD
Dec-31-2014, 9:31am
Funny, because I played a Rogue, with a Fender medium pick, and very old J74 strings, and no strap, and I sounded just like Chris Thile. Especially on the Bach. It was uncanny.

Then the phone rang and woke me up.

Bertram Henze
Dec-31-2014, 10:04am
The mirror shows the most desperate desire of a person's heart, a vision that has been known to drive men mad.
(Harry Potter and the Philosopher Stone)

You can't outperform magic.

http://www.pinkdna.it/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Jude-Law-1.jpg

sgrexa
Dec-31-2014, 10:23am
I believe Chris used to practice 8 hrs a day minimum from age 4 to ~25. He still practices about half that many hours a day. The advantages of learning an instrument that young (especially with a great teacher like John Moore) are numerous, but I think that he basically filled his brain with A LOT of mandolin fretboard knowledge during those critical "formative" years. His brain developed around all things mandolin. I didn't pick up a mandolin until I was 25 and never had a practice regimen anywhere near CTs. I still have fun though and learn something new almost every day. I love it, and cannot picture life without music. Therefore, I thank my lucky stars every day for my meager skills which bring me much joy and happiness. Happy New Year, and get to practicing that KM1050, you WILL get there if you work hard enough!

Sean

JeffD
Dec-31-2014, 10:49am
Realistically speaking, everything I was about to say I already said, in a blog post (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/entry.php?213-Muscal-Heroes).

Denny Gies
Dec-31-2014, 10:51am
I had the same problem until I turned the hearing aid up to max.

Willie Poole
Dec-31-2014, 10:57am
A band that I once played in did some Seldom Scene songs and they always told me that I didn`t do the breaks like John Duffey did on the recordings....I soon left that band, hardly anyone can play like John Duffey....

Paul Statman
Dec-31-2014, 11:22am
I have a new Kentucky KM1050 from The Mandolin Store (not a Loar, but a nice mandolin).

It has a new set of D'Addario EXP74CM (Chris Thile Strings).

I use a Blue Chip pick.

I have a strap just like Chris Thile uses.

I make strange faces and make the body movements that Chris Thile makes while he is playing.

I even use a great condenser microphone with a shock mount when I record.

But even with all of the above, I don't sound anything like CT when I play and I just can't understand why.

There is only one Chris Thile, and there is only one Randy Linam. Who can sound like you?! :mandosmiley:

Randy Linam
Dec-31-2014, 9:14pm
HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE! MAY God bless you and your families.

ROLL TIDE!
Randy

fredfrank
Dec-31-2014, 9:57pm
I played one note that sounded like Chris Thile one time many years ago. I'll never forget it...

rubydubyr
Dec-31-2014, 10:05pm
I played one note that sounded like Chris Thile one time many years ago. I'll never forget it...

:))

Paul Statman
Dec-31-2014, 10:13pm

A friend of mine who was there wrote to me about that at the time. Well done, sir! :mandosmiley:

Randy Linam
Jan-01-2015, 2:46pm
Do you think if I never combed my hair and grew a 2 day beard that would help?:mandosmiley:

rubydubyr
Jan-01-2015, 3:01pm
Do you think if I never combed my hair and grew a 2 day beard that would help?:mandosmiley:

Paul Statman
Jan-01-2015, 3:55pm

If you were so busy practicing that you had no time to groom, then I'd have to say, "Yes. That would help". :cool:

rubydubyr
Jan-01-2015, 4:12pm
If you were so busy practicing that you had no time to groom, then I'd have to say, "Yes. That would help". :cool:

And we'd only want to watch video cause we'd want to be no where near you..... or downwind at least anywaze.....