PDA

View Full Version : Ellis F5 vs Hester F4

red7flag
Dec-22-2014, 10:44am
Before I received the Ellis, I said I wanted to A/B the Ellis and the Hester. So I played the same tunes with each instrument and looked at tone and playability. I first played a selection of Celtic tunes. The nod went to the Hester that tended to sing them a bit more pretty, but just by a not. Both performed well. Then I played some gypsy songs. Again, a nod, but even closer to the Hester. Just seemed to have a tone that fit those minor progressions. The Ellis stronger on the G and D strings. Then I played a selection of bluegrass and bluegrass fiddle tunes. There the Ellis was way stronger, as you might expect. The Ellis projects and cuts in a way the Hester was not intended to. Chop chords are definitely the area that the Ellis separates the most, again as you would expect.
As far as playability, both are easy to play and are expertly set up. The liability of having a short neck on the Hester is not one to me as I mostly play near the nut. They do sit differently in my hands, but just a little playing takes care of that adjustment. Tie there, for me.
Both are outstanding instruments and really at opposite sides of the mandolin spectrum. I am so glad that I have both. When I pick up the Hester, Irish and gypsy seems to just flow out of the instrument. But, when I pick up the Ellis, bluegrass flows out. They are great compliments. I had six months with just the Hester with no complaints even from my grass friends when I would join them, but it is great to have have the Ellis. It completes the circle. If I could only have one, I would go with the Ellis, but only by a very slight "nod".

Pete Martin
Dec-23-2014, 1:29pm
I have played a handful of Hester's, but never an F4. Would love to try one sometime. All of Gayle's instruments I've played were outstanding!

red7flag
Dec-24-2014, 9:10am
Pete, I had a Gibson early 20's F4 and loved it. For some reason, I gravitate to having instruments custom made. I started looking for builders that make a short neck F4. I came up with Gilchrist, Old Wave and Hester. All make simply outstanding old school (not hybrid) F4s. What sealed the deal was seeing couple of videos of Alan Bibey playing some ovals. Here is one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOrX-bOMP3Q

red7flag
Dec-24-2014, 9:12am
Here is another. I thought the only thing I wanted different was a red F4 which Gail so kindly did for me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpDyscGfXok

red7flag
Dec-24-2014, 9:15am
To be fair here is a couple of clips from an Ellis https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpDyscGfXok

red7flag
Dec-24-2014, 9:19am
And another Ellis clip https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqOJiTtHqc0
Hope you guys enjoy

banjoboy
Dec-25-2014, 1:57am
Isn't this like comparing apples to oranges? Every one of Gayle's F5's that I've ever played or seen being played were great BG instruments.

pheffernan
Dec-25-2014, 7:48am
Isn't this like comparing apples to oranges? Every one of Gayle's F5's that I've ever played or seen being played were great BG instruments.

Her A5 isn't too shabby either...

Josh Levine
Dec-25-2014, 1:02pm
The Ellis in that video sounds fantastic.

red7flag
Dec-25-2014, 4:34pm
The comparison was taking into account the differences. I was not really trying to say which is better, but which is better at what. That is why I tried different genres. I wanted to see how both would fare. Both were awesome, just different focus points.

John Soper
Dec-25-2014, 4:42pm
So which one is the beater that you'll take camping or to the beach?

red7flag
Dec-25-2014, 5:34pm
Neither. Would take my Redline Traveler, a pancake mandolin.

red7flag
Jan-05-2015, 8:50am
One difference I have noticed is that the tone of the Hester stays pretty consistent from bass to treble, while the Ellis tends to boom in the bass and sing out in the trebles. So the Hester seems to play better with tunes that move back and forth from bass to treble, especially those with a delicate feel to them. The Ellis really shines with tunes that really drive whether at the bass or the treble. So less like the Loars or the Stanelys I have played which are really strong in the mids, the Ellis goes strong in the extremes. The Hester is more consistent across the registers. This no complaint concerning the Ellis, just an observation. The strengths of both seem to come out more clearly over time.