PDA

View Full Version : Studio Projects VSTB-1

Ken Sager
Mar-31-2005, 6:56pm
I've read a lot about these inexpensive mic pres. Anybody have experience with them they'd care to share? I'm particularly wondering how they would do with a Schertler for live application, and with large condensor mics for the studio.

Thanks for your replies,
Ken

TonyP
Mar-31-2005, 11:47pm
Sorry Ken, I've not used that pre, but my bandmate heard about Studio Projects mics and bought one large dia and 2 of the small dias. The small ones(I can't remember the #'s)had so little gain he had to buy a pre. He looked at the VSTB-1 and was steered away by the others on the board he heard about the Studio Projects on. Mostly because of bad tech support. Ended up getting a used PreSonus BlueTube for less than $100 off ebay. It's two channel, and it really made those 2 small dia. SP's sound wonderful. The only thing I don't like about the little units like that is there's no way to rackmount them so you really have to be careful with them because of the tubes. YMMV

Ken Sager
Apr-01-2005, 12:42pm
Thanks, Tony. A salesman (yeah, I know...) tried to sell me on the SP tube mic pre over a much more expensive tube pre saying it simply sounded better, and you'd have to spend more than $800 or so to get a better mic pre. I think I'll give it a try. If nothing else it'll be a cheap experiment. $129 out the door... I'll post results later.

Joy to all,
Ken

Ken Sager
Apr-01-2005, 12:44pm
Oh yeah, they sell a $24 rack that holds two VSTB-1s so if I like it enough to buy two I'll get the rackmount for them. Otherwise I'll just velcro them to a rackmounted shelf.

Ken Sager
Apr-01-2005, 12:56pm
Ok, they're the VTB-1, not VSTB-1. Sorry.

Pete Martin
Apr-01-2005, 6:34pm
Though I haven't used one, from what I've read on numerous audio sites they are similar to other inexpensive pres, not great. I've found that to get a really good (not great) new preamp, its usually near $1000.00 per channel.

I have a Studio Projects C1 mic and its not great, just OK. I usually prefer other mics.

steve in tampa
Apr-02-2005, 6:27am
I have had great luck with a Joe Meek ThreeQ. It is a pre amp w/ 48v phantom power, optical compresser, and EQ w/ sweepable midrange. Got it for under 200. Half rack space size. Have it set up w/ an AKG C1000S mic.

mike_c
Apr-09-2005, 10:29pm
well actually..FMR AUDIO (the folks that came out with the awesome RNC compressor) # now makes a really great dual channel studio grade preamp (solid state) for around $500

dr.jazz
Apr-10-2005, 5:07pm
Generally speaking:
Yah get's what yah pays fer.
I've played with cheap mics, and cheap pre-amps, and I got cheap sound!
however, nothing sounds as bad as a cheap mic running into a cheap board pre. (Behringer, Mackie, Spirit, etc.)
Even a cheap outboard mic pre will enhance a low-end board.
Mike (the cheap #######) MacLeod