PDA

View Full Version : Finally got a Clark F5!

Austin Clark
Dec-21-2014, 2:04pm
I finally get to keep one! Number 142
Red Spruce and Red Maple, oil varnish/ French polish, Waverly machines and a Calton case on order!

I'm a happy camper....

CWRoyds
Dec-21-2014, 2:10pm
Wow. That is a beautiful instrument.
It is like a little jewel.
Lovely wood and finish.
You must be a happy picker... :)

Tim Pike
Dec-21-2014, 4:20pm
Stunning.....very nice work!

amowry
Dec-21-2014, 4:43pm
Sweet! Looks beautiful, Austin!

Mandoborg
Dec-21-2014, 5:33pm
Looks like you picked a really good one to keep !!!! Beautiful work !!!

Jim

Glassweb
Dec-21-2014, 7:04pm
Great job Austin... hope to see you at WG!

Steve Sorensen
Dec-21-2014, 7:10pm
Great builders deserve the best! Now . . . keep it!
Steve

DPrager
Dec-21-2014, 8:45pm
Wow, you have one too. You'll like it, mine's a keeper!

usqebach
Dec-21-2014, 8:51pm
Austin,

not meaning to "stir the pot' at all, but I consider your hallmark instrument to be the "candy apple red' two point. Any reason why your "keeper" is a tobacco brown F-5?

Keep up the great work!

jim Sims

Austin Clark
Dec-22-2014, 12:05am
Thanks everyone! I'm psyched not to be "borrowing" from myself all the time and worrying about playing out on a demo instrument.

not meaning to "stir the pot' at all, but I consider your hallmark instrument to be the "candy apple red' two point. Any reason why your "keeper" is a tobacco brown F-5?

jim Sims

No pot stirring taken! I make a lot more F5s than two points and just got scroll envy!

Ron McMillan
Dec-22-2014, 12:29am
I wonder how many Cafe members are now quietly testing Austin's resolve with cash offers for that beauty :)

Ivan Kelsall
Dec-22-2014, 4:19am
From Ron Mc. - "I wonder how many Cafe members are now quietly testing Austin's resolve with cash offers for that beauty".
I wish !!. That's up there with the very finest mandolins i've seen on here - totally gorgeous in every respect - the woods,the colour,the end shape of the f/board extension,the scratch plate shape - everything !!. I certainly wouldn't want to rob Austin of his own mandolin,but maybe if i had the cash,i'd be asking him to build one for me just like it,to keep my Elkhorn / Hamlett / MacClanahan etc.mandolins company - in my dreams !!!!,:(
Ivan;)

Bob Clark
Dec-22-2014, 7:05am
Good for you, Austin. You sure have made a lot of players happy with your instruments. You certainly deserve one of your very own.

Your two-point is very high on my list of dream instruments. Given that my last name would be on the headstock, I really think I ought to have one, don't you? :)

Denny Gies
Dec-22-2014, 8:18am
Santa came early, huh?

yankees1
Dec-22-2014, 8:28am
D'Addarrio will soon be giving away free strings in a contest drawing here on the cafe ! What a great time for you to start a contest for a free Clark mandolin drawing on this mandolin ! What do you think ? :)

Atlanta Mando Mike
Dec-22-2014, 10:21am
Absolutely top notch looking F5!!!!!!!!!!!

samlyman
Dec-22-2014, 10:41am
Austin:

Nice looking mandolin! I'm curious - how long do believe a new varnished mandolin with a red spruce top needs to be played before the tone matures?

Sam (up in Vandal - land)

billhay4
Dec-22-2014, 11:18am
Nice! Can we hear it, Austin?
Bill

Randi Gormley
Dec-22-2014, 1:20pm
Beautiful work -- you deserve to keep one after creating such stellar instruments! congrats!

Pete Jenner
Dec-22-2014, 2:06pm
How much do you want for it? I'll give you double. ;)

JEStanek
Dec-22-2014, 3:17pm
You know you've made it when you can keep one of yours for your own. Congrats. That's a real beauty!

Jamie

Glassweb
Dec-22-2014, 4:09pm
I've met Austin a number of times and have played many of his instruments. He's a great guy and is always moving up the ladder in quality and sound. His instruments are a HUGE bang for the buck... highly recommended by a long-time player (that would be me!).

rubydubyr
Dec-22-2014, 8:25pm
It's breath takingly beautiful! :)

Mandobart
Dec-22-2014, 8:52pm
Beautiful! I guess it helps to be on good terms with the builder...

Jim Roberts
Dec-22-2014, 9:07pm
There was a Clark F5 for sale at Mass Street Music a while back and it was phenomenal...

Skip Kelley
Dec-23-2014, 11:59am
Austin, that is one exceptional looking mandolin!

Russ Donahue
Dec-24-2014, 2:20pm
Very nice looking, and all these accolades as accompaniment!

Austin Clark
Dec-27-2014, 9:55am
Wow! Thanks everybody! You made my week.

jasona
Jan-18-2015, 6:06pm
how cool that the maker's name on the pegboard is the same as yours! :)

Steve VandeWater
Jan-19-2015, 7:42am
Austin,
how did you start building? A buddy of mine has built a few and he said he started because he wanted a nice mando but couldn't afford one. He built his own and it came out so well, he built and sold a few more. Do you think this is fairly common as to how people get into the business of luthiery?
Excellent looking work by the way. Simply fabulous.

Nick Gellie
Jan-19-2015, 4:21pm
Gorgeous colour sunburst. How did you manage to get the sunburst colour? That is what colour dyes did you use?

Great craftsmanship!

Austin Clark
Jan-22-2015, 8:42am
Gorgeous colour sunburst. How did you manage to get the sunburst colour? That is what colour dyes did you use?

Great craftsmanship!
Thanks!
The colors are TransTint in alcohol. I mostly mix my own shades from the options they offer and try to use three, sometimes four colors for the burst.

Van1684- I started by building a few violins then switched to mandolins so I could be more creative. Plus, frets are friendly. (At least when I play!)