PDA

View Full Version : Bridge question

freddyu
Mar-01-2004, 12:48pm
I just purchased a new sullivan ebony bridge from fqms with the intention of fitting it myself to my MK. Looks like there will not be a lot of contact area between bridge feet and mandolin. Is that normal? Is that good? Is that what I have to sand down to make maximum contact. Also did not come slotted for the strings, how is the best way to do that? Thanks.

Chris Baird
Mar-01-2004, 1:09pm
You have to tape some sandpaper onto the top of the mandolin where the bridge will go. You then hold the bridge in exactly the position you want it to be in and either push or pull it over the sandpaper about a 1/4". Don't push and pull just do one or the other. It may take a while as it is your first time. For the string slots on the bridge you can get the spacing off the old bridge and use needle files or what ever works to put the slots in. The slots need to be the same size as the string and needs to be angled slightly towards the tailpiece. Make the slots so that the treble stings are just all the way in the slot and make the bass strings sit in the slot about 1/3.

chris
Mar-01-2004, 1:32pm
bridge Fitting (http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Luthier/Technique/Mandolin/FitBridgeFeet/fitfeet.html)

Donald
Mar-02-2004, 11:02am
Make sure you have it the right way around. The bass strings have to be on the right side.