PDA

View Full Version : Yet another pick question?

FrDNicholas
Dec-14-2014, 9:47am
I am currently using the Black Raven large triangle 1.9 pick and like it very much. I would like to try a different pick and am not ready to go for the Blue Chip. I've been looking at the D'Andrea Pro Plec, but I have only found it with rounded corners, which I don't prefer. Do they make a pick with pointed corners? How does that compare to the Black Raven? I tried the Golden Gate picks, which is how I realized I didn't prefer rounded corners. I really like the large triangle shape; does Wegen make that shape pick? Sorry if this has been covered ad nausea, I don't have much luck using the search engine on this website.

Ray(T)
Dec-14-2014, 11:08am
D'you mean like these - http://www.wegenpicks.com/images/tf100120140.jpg

Then the answer is yes! ;)

bart mcneil
Dec-14-2014, 11:11am
If the only thing you don't like about the pick is the corners, then sand the edges and points to the shape you want. Shouldn't take much more than ten minutes. Complete the sanding with a fine grade of sandpaper to eliminate pick noise you might get with a sanded surface.

FrDNicholas
Dec-14-2014, 11:23am
Thank you. Can you tell me what the thickness of those Wegen picks is? I like a pick between 1.5 and 2.0.

Joey Anchors
Dec-14-2014, 11:36am
I recently switched from a Fender Extra Heavy 351 to a PaPa's faux IVOROID 2.2mm pick and really liking it so far!

The PaPa's pick glads over the strings and gives me a fuller tone with rounder highs but at the same time sound a tad bright.

Astro
Dec-14-2014, 12:01pm
Thank you. Can you tell me what the thickness of those Wegen picks is? I like a pick between 1.5 and 2.0.

I love the Wegen TF140. Its 1.4mm and thats plenty thick because its stiff. You get 2 for 15 bucks.

Its easy to tell thickness with Wegen's because that is what the number is.

bigskygirl
Dec-14-2014, 12:12pm
Try the Blue Chip, you can return it if you don't like it and they are offering free priority shipping today thru Wed evening. You'll most likely end up spending $5 to $10 on other picks anyway.

I also like Wegan picks, I like the CF model and you can get it directly from Chad at Greg Boyd instruments.

http://gregboyd.com/accessory_detail.html?accessory_key=971

Plays very nice and is nice to hold, I do still prefer the BC but the Wegan comes in a very close second.

jazzjune18
Dec-14-2014, 3:40pm
Agree with big sky girl. My two favorite picks are the bluechip ct 55 (more triangular) and the wegen CF that big sky girl mentioned (more rounded). The cf is a custom made wegen pick that I believe only comes out of Greg Boyd's music in Missoula (they ship).

Mark Christensen
Dec-14-2014, 4:15pm
I would get the Dunlop 1.5 mm Primetone Pick. It's the same triangle shape as the BC CT55 and I sometimes prefer it to the BC.

mandobassman
Dec-14-2014, 4:16pm
Try the Blue Chip, you can return it if you don't like it and they are offering free priority shipping today thru Wed evening. You'll most likely end up spending $5 to $10 on other picks anyway.

I also like Wegan picks, I like the CF model and you can get it directly from Chad at Greg Boyd instruments.

http://gregboyd.com/accessory_detail.html?accessory_key=971

Plays very nice and is nice to hold, I do still prefer the BC but the Wegan comes in a very close second.

Doesn't the CF model have more rounded corners than the TF models? That would be the opposite of what the OP is looking for.

I have a Wegen pick that I had custom made thru Janet Davis Music. It is essentially the TF140, except instead of 1.4 mm it is 1.8 mm. And I had mine made without a beveled edge. I had two made for $15 each. Gives it a much deeper tone than the standard TF beveled model.
Another pick I would highly recommend is the Dunlop Primetone Sculpted. They make one that is the exact same shape and size as the Black Raven you have now. It is only 1.5mm but is very stiff material and produces a ton of volume and a good full tone. They're only about $2 per pick.

mandobassman
Dec-14-2014, 4:18pm
OK, I was wrong about the Wegen CF model. It's the same shape as the TF (346 shape) but it is smaller.

bigskygirl
Dec-14-2014, 4:37pm
Here's a pic of the two picks.

DavidKOS
Dec-14-2014, 4:42pm
If the only thing you don't like about the pick is the corners, then sand the edges and points to the shape you want. Shouldn't take much more than ten minutes. Complete the sanding with a fine grade of sandpaper to eliminate pick noise you might get with a sanded surface.

Great advice...and with a bit more work you could just start making picks.

A cheap way is find some oversize pick of the material you like, and sand, file, grind, trim or whatever them to the size and shape you want.

I make my own guitar picks with a pick punch and sheets of delrin, ultem, or other materials. If they made a classical mandolin pick punch I'd be making them too.

mandobassman
Dec-14-2014, 5:03pm
Here's a pic of the two picks.

Those are very similar in shape, except for the one rounded edge on the TP-1R. The Wegen TF140 and the Blue Chip TAD60 are nearly identical in shape to each other and are the same size as the Black Raven. The Wegen CF and the Blue Chip TD might be a little difficult for someone more used to a larger pick. They are all excellent picks though.
A couple of posts, including mine, have mentioned the Dunlop Primetone. Be careful. For some reason Dunlop has chosen to use the same name for a few different lines of picks. The one that is the same size and shape as the Black Raven is the Primetone™ Triangle Sculpted Plectra 513P. It looks like this.

timcw4
Dec-14-2014, 11:06pm
No affiliation, but Janet Davis Music also carries the Wegen CF's in 1.2 & 1.4:

http://www.jdmc.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=JDM&Category_Code=wegen-flatpicks&CatListingoffset=24&Sortby=&CpField=&CpValue=

I found Wegens to be a "gateway pick". They showed me that there is a difference in higher end picks. I have my first two Blue Chips on order, but if I'm not overwhelmed by them, I could happily "settle" for Wegens. FWIW - I reshape and bevel ultem, tortex, etc triangles into the CF / TP shape for some friends and they're all hooked on the bigger than standard size now.

Stephen Scaggs
Dec-17-2014, 8:20am
I just wanted to chime in on the Dunlop 1.5 Primetones. I have been using the ProPlec 1.5 from JazzMondo for a while and I wanted to try some other picks. I got the Dunlops in a 3 pack for under 6 bucks. I really like them so far. I use the ultex picks for my guitars and like them for that use as well.

Steve

Joey Anchors
Dec-17-2014, 9:09am

So far this is doing a great job.

mandobassman
Dec-17-2014, 6:40pm

So far this is doing a great job.

Help us out a little. Which one is this? It would help to give a little info. Papas makes several variations of their picks. I will say that the one thing I don't like about the Papa's picks is that they only make one shape. If they made a 346 shape I would have tried one a long time ago.

Joey Anchors
Dec-17-2014, 10:41pm
Help us out a little. Which one is this? It would help to give a little info. Papas makes several variations of their picks. I will say that the one thing I don't like about the Papa's picks is that they only make one shape. If they made a 346 shape I would have tried one a long time ago.

It is a faux IVOROID 2.2mm pick and really liking it so far!

The PaPa's pick glids over the strings and gives me a fuller tone with rounder highs but at the same time sounds a tad bright over all.