PDA

View Full Version : 2014 Kimble

barry
Dec-13-2014, 3:18pm
I just received this is a few days ago. It's a very inspiring instrument. I don't think I have played a more responsive feeling mandolin. It feels very light in the hands compared to an F5.

It's resonant, lively, and handles like a sports car. Yet, it still retains the right "density" of tone in the notes to give "authority" to your playing.

barry
Dec-13-2014, 3:20pm

And with big brother127603

barry
Dec-13-2014, 3:29pm
How do you rotate these pics?

Joey Anchors
Dec-13-2014, 4:06pm
I am loving this two point! Very good looking.

Kowboy
Dec-13-2014, 4:10pm
I rotate them while they are in My documents / Pictures. I'm sure there's another way too. IDK.
How do you rotate these pics?

Jim Garber
Dec-13-2014, 4:35pm
Very nice-looking 2-point and (of course) the F-5, too. Will makes lovely mandolins.

JeffD
Dec-13-2014, 9:17pm
That is a beautiful two point. Just beautiful.

LongBlackVeil
Dec-13-2014, 9:52pm
Wow! Nice. Love Kimbles two point design. And you have two Kimbles?! You dog!

How do they compare??

barry
Dec-14-2014, 10:14am
Wow! Nice. Love Kimbles two point design. And you have two Kimbles?! You dog!

How do they compare??

I've been A/B'ing them for days now. The best description I can come up with is the automobile analogy to which I alluded earlier.

The F5 feels like a BMW 550i. It is powerful and stately. It responds well to as much power as you wish to apply. It, gives what it gets, all the while exuding a feeling of confidence and control at high cruising speeds.

The 2-Point is more like a BMW M-3. Blindingly fast. Responsive and agile at all speeds. "Blow your hair back" exciting while accelerating out of turns.

Will Kimble has made it known this year that he wants to focus his production predominantly, but not necessarily exclusively, on the 2-Point design. After playing this one, I see his line of reasoning.

B

Denman John
Dec-14-2014, 10:57am
Wow ~ that's quite a pair you have there!

I do agree that Kimble's are very resonate and lively ~ notes just pop right out. I now know what people mean when they say an instrument has 'pop'. They also sound wonderful on slower pieces as well. What strings are you using on your Kimbles?

Now you need Will to build you an oval hole ;)

Enjoy those fine instruments and play them in good health.
John

Timothy S
Dec-23-2014, 5:20pm
Very nice! Will's two-point design is incredibly classy. I'm absolutely loving my Kimble F5. That's quite the pair you've got. Happy playing!

And if you don't mind me chiming in...Mr. Denman John, I started with EXP 47s on my mandolins but just strung up EXP 74CMs last night. So far I'm liking the stronger presence on the upper two courses. I need a few more hours of playing to let the initial brightness settle and get a feel for how they'll sound.