PDA

View Full Version : Mandolin ratings

Strange1
Mar-31-2005, 12:10pm
If anyone is so inclined..........I am in the market for an F style mandolin. How would you rate the brands in the 400.00 to 800.00 range? Include Morgan Monroe, Bean Blossom. Kelly . Thanx

Jack

Tom C
Mar-31-2005, 12:17pm
1-10 1
F style can range all the way up to $20,000. I've never seen an F for under the range you specified.

earthsave
Mar-31-2005, 12:27pm
For F-styles in that price range, you never know what you might get. So I'd give em a 4 if you are buying sight unseen.

If you can go someplace and play all of em, and like any of em, I'd say buy one. But also when you are there, play some more expensive mandolins to hear the difference.

Especially grab something like an A9 Gibson, which is not much more than your price range, and will sound much better in tone.

All those Fs in that range I have heard or played sound thin. I have a MM Beanblossom that is good for practice... paid $200 used and it is great for that, but it just doesnt have the tone nor volume when put beside my Flatiron A. Even with it's much larger chamber (taller sides).

Greg H.
Mar-31-2005, 12:28pm
Well, actually F style mandolins can range up to $120,000. That said, the best bet you'd have on an F model would be a Rogue from Greg Boyd (http://www.gregboyd.com) at around $450. It would be properly set up which is a big plus, and Greg Boyd #& Co are Very reliable. As you'll hear a lot around here, in that price range (anything under $2,000) your money would be better spent on an A model. Going for an a model you might be able to find a USED Rigel, Weber. or a Gibson A9. If I had to rate the F models in that range I'd say around a 2 (unless you got really lucky).

mpeknox
Mar-31-2005, 1:02pm
I know for a fact that you can get an Eastman 515 for $840 or possibly even less. #Thin sounding, poorly made, blah, blah, blah does not apply to the majority of the Eastmans I have played and they blow most of the other imports out of the water.

John Flynn
Mar-31-2005, 1:08pm
Well, actually F style mandolins can range up to $120,000
Well, actually, Big Mon's mando went for about 10 times that!

Wayne Webb
Mar-31-2005, 1:14pm
My Morgan Monroe MCM-T sells for between $750 and $869 but I bought mine on Ebay for $400 and I'm very happy with it. It looks brand new, was set up right and sounds heavenly. Just be careful on Ebay. I also bought a $529 Michael Kelly and it sounded like the whole inside of it was coated with thick rubber...very weak with very little sustain. I don't doubt that some of them might be just fine but this one must have been made on a Friday.

Tom C
Mar-31-2005, 1:42pm
My 20,000 was a top price for a NEW mandolin. Nobody can make a $120,000 mando today unless it has a diamond and gold inlays with a platinum bridge. Much of that $120,000 is for a name and how rare they are.

Lee
Mar-31-2005, 1:50pm
I'd agree with Geg H up there too, except he means the Rover mandolins at Greg Boyd's.

Newtdude
Mar-31-2005, 2:20pm
If you watch the classifieds, there are some good deals that come along occasionally on breedloves, flatirons, eastmans, etc.

My first mandolin was a Fender F style, which I got new for about $500 (and that took every last penny I had to buy). #It was not a great mandolin, but it didn't suck either. #It played well, and sounded decent. #I liked it a lot, and had a lot of fun on it -- #it was an entry into mandolin playing for me. #After about 3-4 years on the Fender, I upgraded to a Rigel G110 (purchased on the classifieds here, used), but I never could have spent that much money without getting a more affordable mandolin first, as a sort of test drive.

A style mandolins are more affordable and generally a better deal, but if your heart is set on the F style then it is probably worth it. #The goal is to get an instrument you like (aesthetics included) so that you will be inspired to play it.

In terms of which mandolin to buy -- play as many as you can and get the one you can afford and like the best.

saznpins
Mar-31-2005, 3:32pm
I had a nice blonde F style made by Oregon luthier Howard Morris that I sold last year for the high end of your price range. It was a very good mandolin, nice tone, loud and very easy to play. If you could find one (they pop up in the classifieds sometimes and also on ebay), I'd highly recommend it over the imports.

Happy pickin' http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif
Sarah

Lane Pryce
Mar-31-2005, 3:50pm
I think J Mark Lane has a blonde Morris F5 in the classifides for sale. Good price too!!! #Lp

ab4usa
Mar-31-2005, 4:01pm
Morris in the classifieds #13236 for $850 with upgrades. Call J. Mark

neal
Mar-31-2005, 4:09pm
Nobody's mentioned the 70's Japanese imports. Those were very nice, and you can find them in your price range. There's a nice Ibanez 524 f-style on ebay for a buy it now of 750. I just sold my Japanese Morris for 750. They're a good bargain. Here's the link to that one. (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=10179&item=7311404582&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW) Here's another one to watch. (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=10179&item=7312026736&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW)

Adam Tracksler
Mar-31-2005, 4:15pm
I have a rover RM-75. Its hard to beat for the money. Get one and an ebony bridge and you will be happy for a good long time.