PDA

View Full Version : Converting Fixed Bridge to Floating Bridge

Petrus
Dec-10-2014, 8:47pm
Long story short: I like this electric Fender mando. I want to convert it to a floating bridge. I figure I can remove the existing bridge, drill a hole in the end to fit a standard tailpiece and adjustable bridge. Of course it'll need longer strings. Anything wrong with this logic? (This mando is about $240, about a hundred bucks less than the other type of Fender semi-hollowbody emando, and substantially cheaper than their $500+ Robert Schmidt semi-hollowbody, which is why I'm looking at this one rather than those. I'm not keen on the hockey stick headstock but I can live with it.)

Edit: Here's the other Fender option. This one is $350. Nicer finish and headstock too.

jefflester
Dec-10-2014, 9:00pm
I want to convert it to a floating bridge.

Why?

Petrus
Dec-10-2014, 11:17pm
Why?

Because awesome. :mandosmiley:

EdHanrahan
Dec-10-2014, 11:59pm
Yeah but... After the tele-style fixed bridge comes off, the new bridge certainly won't cover all of those less-than-awesome screw holes, plus some bridge-baseplate impressions, that'll be left on the top, so you'll have to refinish the top and/or cut a closer-fitting pickguard. While you're at it, might as well re-shape the peghead to your liking!

But seriously, you'll probably need to shim the neck attachment (for back-angle) to fit a floating bridge in there.

Petrus
Dec-11-2014, 4:23am
Good points there. I also notice that the FM1-SE has a magnetic pickup while the FM62-SCE (similar to the FM62E Robert Schmidt edition) has a piezo pickup. I'm leaning towards the former right now.

Nevin
Dec-11-2014, 10:49am
I would keep the existing bridge for the reasons pointed out. You can always fit a piezo pup later. Retrofitting a magnetic pup is major surgery.

Timbofood
Dec-11-2014, 11:27am
I'd buy the second one, why spend the time and money on the remake to end up with a frankenfender?
I often wonder why we so often want to make things into something they are not, I've done it and ended up with less than what I had expected. Human nature I suppose

Petrus
Dec-11-2014, 4:58pm
I often wonder why we so often want to make things into something they are not, I've done it and ended up with less than what I had expected. Human nature I suppose

Hmm so that's why my relationships never work out. :grin:

Marty Jacobson
Dec-11-2014, 5:09pm
Bridge height is going to be the biggest issue. There's no way you can get a typical adjustable floating mandolin bridge in there, since it's only 1/4" high. You could change the neck angle, but probably too much work.

I agree the floating bridge on an electric is awesome.. wait til you see what I'm cooking up....

Timbofood
Dec-11-2014, 6:04pm
Petrus, I got lucky, found my wife who let's me think I am in some sort of control, I let her think the same thing, going on 25 years!
The ONLY thing a seem to have done almost right.
Anybody got a job for me?

mandroid
Dec-11-2014, 7:46pm
WHY

Long story short: I like this electric Fender mando. I want to convert it to a floating bridge. I figure I can remove the existing bridge, drill a hole in the end to fit a standard tailpiece and adjustable bridge. Of course it'll need longer strings. Anything wrong with this logic? (This mando is about $240, about a hundred bucks less than the other type of Fender semi-hollowbody emando, and substantially cheaper than their $500+ Robert Schmidt semi-hollowbody, which is why I'm looking at this one rather than those. I'm not keen on the hockey stick headstock but I can live with it.)

Edit: Here's the other Fender option. This one is $350. Nicer finish and headstock too.

1 is a semi hollow body Magnetic Pickup with 4 thru the Body String Ferrules .

I own one .. I made a new scratch plate and replaced the whole electric setup.

the other is an archtop machine carved hollow body with An Internal Piezo
that passes Passive signal thru those 2 control Knobs ..

different creatures..

Maybe you really want to consider a better quality Maker

the Fender Corp puts their effort more in Guitars & buying out other companies.

Shop for a Used Gibson EM 150..

Petrus
Dec-12-2014, 11:53pm
I ended up ordering the FM1-SE ($240); it seems like a nice cheap knockaround emando to have handy. It's got an interesting design with that single elongated f-hole. It seems to be a fairly uncommon model; when I Google it, nothing comes up. I may take off that big white pickguard to see what it looks like underneath. Still not sure about that hockey stick head; it looks vaguely ridiculous. Maybe I'll saw it off and sand the end round.

EdHanrahan
Dec-13-2014, 12:48am
Still not sure about that hockey stick head; it looks vaguely ridiculous.
Well, most folks think pretty highly of Fender's original 12-string guitar, even if no big names (that I can recall) often played one. And after I just did a Google search, it really does NOT look like Gumby. So foolish me... I must sort of like it!

jefflester
Dec-15-2014, 8:01pm
I ended up ordering the FM1-SE ($240); it seems like a nice cheap knockaround emando to have handy. It's got an interesting design with that single elongated f-hole. It seems to be a fairly uncommon model; when I Google it, nothing comes up. I may take off that big white pickguard to see what it looks like underneath. Still not sure about that hockey stick head; it looks vaguely ridiculous. Maybe I'll saw it off and sand the end round.
Maybe someone dropped a digit. It is more commonly known as an FM-61SE.

Check out this thread:
http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?83652-FM-61SE-Mods-and-Pix