PDA

View Full Version : New arrival: Collings MT

Gary Leonard
Dec-09-2014, 12:44am

Wife is getting a dog, I got a new mandolin. I can pretty much call it my firstborn, the Gretsch New Yorker I had for almost a month turned out to be a loaner, the great folks at Guitar Works down the street from me gave me full credit towards this beauty. I sigh whenever I hold it..

Now if this follows the pattern as our kids, we said one was enough, then three years later we had another one..

Gary

pheffernan
Dec-09-2014, 6:08am
Now if this follows the pattern as our kids, we said one was enough, then three years later we had another one..

Three years? You should be so lucky! The Collings MT was my gateway drug. Before it, I was convinced I was an oval hole man. Since, well, my signature tells the tale...

GKWilson
Dec-09-2014, 6:52am
Yikes. Gary, quick get the hose.
That back is on fire.:)
Congrats on such a nice mandolin.
Now go play the Christmas pudding out of it.
Gary

F-2 Dave
Dec-09-2014, 7:32am
Great looking MT. Congratulations.

Mark Wilson
Dec-09-2014, 8:45am
As nice an MT as I've seen. The few I've played have been really nice to play. Congratulations! and many late nights picking on the far side of the house.

Mark Wilson
Dec-09-2014, 8:46am
Yikes. Gary, quick get the hose.
That back is on fire.:)

Absolutely.

Jake Wildwood
Dec-09-2014, 9:48am
MTs are effing great instruments. I thought I owned one until my mando-centric buddy started slobbering all over it and I decided to let him use... then own it... for band use... :D

It's kicked his skill level up a lot to have a good, practical, kick-butt ride.

Gary Leonard
Dec-09-2014, 7:37pm
I am not worthy of it. But hopefully dedicated practice can change that!

mandobassman
Dec-09-2014, 7:53pm
That back is absolutely stunning! Wow.

Londy
Dec-09-2014, 8:50pm
awesome! Welcome to the Collings family! :mandosmiley:

Svea
Dec-09-2014, 8:59pm
Wow, but just remember to stop looking at that back and play it once in a while!! I am a Collings MT owner myself. Congrats!

Svea

Ivan Kelsall
Dec-10-2014, 3:13am
From Gary - " But hopefully dedicated practice can change that !." . The chances are that you'll play far more than you ever did before - you'll simply want to !. I'd had all sorts of Banjos over a 15 year period,but i never made so much progress as when i bought my Stelling. It simply became addictive,just like the mandolin is now. That's a very beautiful instrument indeed.You play it as much as you'll most likely want to, & you'll soon be worthy of it - congrats & well done !,
Ivan;)

Nick Gellie
Dec-10-2014, 3:50am
Garf, good luck with your mando. Best wishes and Christmas greetings. May the next year bring much promise and joy with your new acquisition.

terzinator
Dec-10-2014, 10:54am
Congrats.

MAS may inevitably strike you, but I don't think a normal person* can outgrow the MT.

* Ok, yeah, great players will require something more, perhaps. But I remember a few years back, Clay Hess was hosting a guitar workshop, and someone asked him something about his mandolin playing. He didn't have one with him, but wanted to demonstrate something. I happened to be there with my MT, so I offered it up. He played a few licks/tunes, and then he kept holding it out in front of him, looking at it, saying, "wow this is a really great mandolin."

He made the thing sound as good as any mandolin I'd ever heard.

Anyway, congrats again. Enjoy it!

Frank Russell
Dec-10-2014, 12:09pm
Congratulations Gary - you did well. I've had Gibsons, Webers, Eastman, and many other brands highly regarded on the Cafe, and the two MTs I've owned were at the top of that list for me. Really hard to beat the ease of playing, volume and tone right out of the box on a Collings. Its one of a few brands of mandolin that I would feel comfortable buying sight-unseen, along with Old Wave and Givens. The comments about a good instrument making you want to play more often, leading to higher skill level are right on the money, and would definitely apply to an MT. Enjoy. Frank.

Joey Anchors
Dec-10-2014, 3:46pm
Amazing looking MT Gary! I love the blonde finish. I too have just upgraded from a Gretsch mando. Hope it brings you great tone and playability

Eric F.
Dec-10-2014, 3:57pm
Gorgeous! Enjoy.

If that's Guitar Works in Evanston, I spent many a happy hour there when I lived in Chicago.

Gary Leonard
Dec-11-2014, 12:17am
Yes Eric, I live just down the block from Guitar Works.

DougC
Dec-11-2014, 1:30pm
Speaking of more than one mandolin 'arriving'. I had a MT and decided to trade my guitar for something that I would use. I have not played guitar in years, since I took up fiddle/violin. So one day at my local guitar shop I traded my guitar for a custom Collings MT2.

What was I thinking? Who needs two mandolins?? Who needs so much money tied up in mandolins?! And besides I'm a fiddler, mostly.

That purchase kicked up the interest in playing mandolin like a turbocharged sports car.

Sure, I compare the mandolins all the time. That MT is as good as anything out there. The MT2 projects out to the audience more. But at home I seem to go to the MT more. It was made for home acoustics...

A number of people have said to me, '"Never sell that mandolin". Collings has an admirable way of creating top notch mandolins and we are blessed for it. As I compare mine to other mandolins it seems that the Collings mandolins are the 'standard' , a high standard. And one has to pay double the price to get anything better.

Now today I promise myself to practice violin. But it's not easy doing both in this house.

lflngpicker
Dec-11-2014, 1:57pm
Good for you! That is a beauty. I wish you many years of happy playing of great music!

Russ Donahue
Dec-21-2014, 12:24pm
Nice choice. Love my MT...MF next on my MAS list.

Dave1066
Dec-21-2014, 1:27pm
That is one nice looking Mandolin! Love the look of the back on it!

JEStanek
Dec-21-2014, 9:51pm
Collings makes a fine mandolin. Enjoy it!

Jamie

terzinator
Dec-22-2014, 9:46am
I'm always a sucker for dark binding around body and fingerboard, and the black tuner knobs.

dashing specimen.

(Is that a band name? If it's not, it probably should be. ~:> )