PDA

View Full Version : The amazing disappearing Eastman Octave Mandolin

CeeCee_C
Dec-08-2014, 9:24pm
There was quite a bit of speculation, but does anyone know the real reason that this instrument disappeared almost as soon as it appeared?

I have a chance to buy one and it's the kind of information one might like know in advance.

Thanks,

multidon
Dec-08-2014, 10:38pm
Apparently there were quality problems. Dennis at The Mandolin Store posted in a previous thread that they ordered six of them, opened two that had the same problem (sinking tops) so they decided to send them all back. Additionally, Eastman decided to make them with bodies that would fit no known hard case made today. Thats why they came with bags instead. As you are probably aware, most octave mandolins can fit in some kind of banjo case. This one would not. Dennis also felt there was something wrong with the neck angle, that it didn't allow for sufficient break angle for the strings at the bridge. None of this is a secret. Dennis posted it before, reluctantly. As one of the biggest Eastman dealers he didn't want the company to have a black eye over this. Most of the other Eastman products he is very pleased with. But Dennis is the kind of guy who refuses to sell a product if he is not 100 percent certain the customer will be satisfied. Now there's integrity.

I would speculate that other dealers returned these to Eastman for the same reasons. And they just decided to cut their losses rather than correct the problems. It is unfortunate. If they had delivered what they promised they would have had a hit on their hands. Cafe members gave the company lots of suggestions concerning what they would like to see in an octave from them. They ignored most of those suggestions.

Mandobar
Dec-09-2014, 1:59pm
AcousticMusic.Org had one left the last time I was there, and I believe they still have it. I believe Brian told me that his Eastman rep told him that the company had no plans to build any more. Shame, he says its a nice instrument.

Charlieshafer
Dec-09-2014, 2:05pm
It's still there...

Mandobar
Dec-09-2014, 2:08pm
I dropped my Trillium mandola off there (the infamous Andy Irvine formerly owned by) a few weeks ago. It's there on consignment. It can also be strung as an octave with some modifications to the string gauges.

Jessbusenitz
Dec-09-2014, 6:54pm
I just bought one and have yet to get some proper gauge strings on it but so far so good.

CelticDude
Dec-09-2014, 6:54pm
I dropped my Trillium mandola off there (the infamous Andy Irvine formerly owned by) a few weeks ago. It's there on consignment. It can also be strung as an octave with some modifications to the string gauges.

I was there a couple of weeks ago, and they pulled this Trillium out for me to play. A nice-sounding and fun instrument! I went there looking for an oval-hole mandolin, and left tempted by 2 mandolas.