PDA

View Full Version : MAS for a great A-5: Kimble vs. Red Diamond vs. Ellis

Winfield
Dec-06-2014, 11:00am
Lord I 'pologize for another what kind of mandolin to get query. But here it is. I'm looking for an A-5 versatile enough to handle a variety of music styles with more emphasis on Bluegrass. I'm really interested in these three builders. Would love to hear from you that have played/own/owned any of these and what you think of them.

Thanks so much.

f5joe
Dec-06-2014, 11:05am
Although I don't own any of these, I've played samples of each. You can't go wrong ..... just find one that appeals to your ear.

DataNick
Dec-06-2014, 11:21am
I think either of the three listed would be a great mandolin...as the age old adage states, you really do have to play them individually first before buying. If you do buy before sampling, the quality of build and builder's reputation will allow you to sell/trade without much difficulty...good luck, sounds like a nice budget you have there. I would also throw in a Heiden A model and a Duff A model into the mix.

pheffernan
Dec-06-2014, 11:22am
I'd like one of each with a Duff and a Stanley to boot. You don't disclose your location, but you might really benefit from a trip to Nashville where you can get your hands on a few of these builds and see which one speaks to you.

Danny Clark
Dec-06-2014, 11:56am
agree ,ive owned several from all of these builders ,you will be pleased with any of them
i have been!

UsuallyPickin
Dec-06-2014, 1:26pm
At this level of build a selection is about personal likes and dislikes. All you can do is play every one you find and buy the one that stands out to you. You certainly won't find any "dogs". Of course finding all of those listed at any one vendor will be difficult. ...... I play a Gibson A5L which gets high marks from folks that play it. Good Luck in your search ... R/