PDA

View Full Version : Northfield Model M

Tommcgtx
Dec-04-2014, 3:14pm
I saw a Facebook post from Northfield during my lunch hour introducing their new, entry level Model M:

http://www.northfieldmandolins.com/mandolins/model-m

They look pretty nice, but unfortunately I wasn't able to listen to the sound clips. I haven't seen what they might cost, but I emailed them to ask. Sorry if this is old news, but I thought I'd post it. I've always liked Northfield mandolins, and an entry level instrument from them sounds great.

Joey Anchors
Dec-04-2014, 3:21pm
Wow! An entry level mando with a varnish finish? Nicely done Northfield. :)

sblock
Dec-04-2014, 3:22pm
I saw a Facebook post from Northfield during my lunch hour introducing their new, entry level Model M:

http://www.northfieldmandolins.com/mandolins/model-m

They look pretty nice, but unfortunately I wasn't able to listen to the sound clips. I haven't seen what they might cost, but I emailed them to ask. Sorry if this is old news, but I thought I'd post it. I've always liked Northfield mandolins, and an entry level instrument from them sounds great.

Those soundclips are also available on YouTube, if you are having problems with Northfield's site. Look here (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKEvhMTsPc8) and here (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pK1vnUR7z-E).

Tommcgtx
Dec-04-2014, 3:25pm
Those soundclips are also available on YouTube, if you are having problems with Northfield's site. Look here (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKEvhMTsPc8) and here (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pK1vnUR7z-E).

Thanks, but it's more a matter of being at work. I'll be able to watch them later.

SincereCorgi
Dec-04-2014, 4:05pm
Wait- so... their entry level mandolins are the ones built in USA but the nicer stuff comes from China?

Chris Reber
Dec-04-2014, 4:12pm
I definitely like the thought of an Engelmann-top varnish A. Wonder if they'll be available in other colors and what price point they're going to be around.

Joey Anchors
Dec-04-2014, 4:16pm
I'm really digging their use of the Nugget tailpiece! Anyone know where I can buy that tailpeice?

9lbShellhamer
Dec-04-2014, 5:20pm
I emailed asking about price too. This baby sounds sweet. I like the headstock and don't mind the blonde too. it says the fretboard is arched. I'm guessing that's the same as radiused?

Joey Anchors
Dec-04-2014, 5:49pm
I'm going to guess it will cost $2500, but I bet I'm wrong.

pheffernan
Dec-04-2014, 6:03pm
I'm going to guess it will cost $2500, but I bet I'm wrong.

I'll take the under. While it's varnished, I think it needs to be priced aggressively to lure players away from the Collings MT and the Pava, at least initially. I'm guessing it will priced under $2000, even if only by a penny.

multidon
Dec-04-2014, 6:26pm
Wow interesting to say the least.

Sort of the opposite of the norm. Entry level made in USA, upper level China, instead of visa versa.

Some interesting design features. I like the varnish and color choice. Blond top but nice rich brown for the rest. Top has serious recurve. Tailpiece and tuners top notch. Big frets and radius board will be popular with many. Now the bad. I don't care for the look of the abbreviated pickguard. I think the scoop on the "extension" just looks stupid, because of the lack of a Florida. Don't care for the look of the back. If you are going to use figured wood why not at least attempt to book match or slip match? The the pieces of wood on the prototype don't even look like they're from the same tree.

Even with my nit picking if it comes in at under 2000 and sounds good and plays well, it is worthy of consideration. In addition to competition stated above there is also the Lafferty in about the same price range.

Tommcgtx
Dec-04-2014, 6:55pm
Well, I saw another Facebook post from the Fretboard Journal, it seems they are giving one away.

http://www.fretboardjournal.com/win-northfield-model-m-mandolin

CeeCee_C
Dec-04-2014, 6:58pm
And it's made in this country.

DataNick
Dec-04-2014, 7:03pm
Based on the videos, I'm definitely interested!

Clement Barrera-Ng
Dec-04-2014, 7:18pm
Very nice, and thanks to Tommcgtx for letting us know there's a giveway. I just signed up - wish me luck :)

My guess the price point would be at 2500 or above. It is varnished and made right here, and they already established a name for themselves, so even at that price point it competes favorably with Pava and Colllings.

bigskygirl
Dec-04-2014, 8:10pm
I just watched the FJ video and it's a great mandolin.

Charles E.
Dec-04-2014, 8:38pm
I think the blond top and the brown ribs, back and neck are a tip of the hat to the Lyon and Healy mandolins. That sound clip of Adam Steffey playing it sounded really good. I would guess it would be viable choice to a Pava mandolin.
I wish them the best of luck with this model.

Michael Bridges
Dec-04-2014, 8:46pm
I'm assuming these are the A's that Adam demo'd in his workshop a few months ago that was live-streamed. I was impressed then, moreso now to see them in more detail. Like many , can't wait to see their definition of "entry-level"

darylcrisp
Dec-04-2014, 9:51pm
i like it.

i like the organic simplicity of it. like the color variation between the top and back.
at work so i can't play the FJ video but will first thing later in the wee hours of morn.

my guess is $1899 to enter into the market and get folks interested. if it goes over well, i'm sure in time we will see more versions with more adornment, then the F style to follow.

although i don't own a NF, i'm glad to see these folks coming along at a steady pace and having a positive following backing them.
d

JEStanek
Dec-04-2014, 11:19pm
Hmmm. I never pulled my entry level mandolins out of a Calton Case. ;) The do look and sound quite nice.

Jamie

OldSausage
Dec-04-2014, 11:43pm
I'd like to pick one with a bluegrass band and see whether they really cut it.

F-2 Dave
Dec-05-2014, 12:38am
I saw the sample by Steffey. It was pretty impressive. But then, he could play a sock and make it sound good.

Perry Babasin
Dec-05-2014, 12:48pm
Emory Lester's demo is pretty good as well, with chording and picking. The mandolin has nice sound and projection and looks great also! Wonder about price-point...

9lbShellhamer
Dec-06-2014, 11:17am
How do we think these compare to their baseline F models?

Englemann vs Adirondack

Varnish finish vs Satin Sunburst

What can expect the differences in sound to be like? Volume? Tone?

Exciting stuff here...

Mandobar
Dec-07-2014, 6:57am
I think the pricing on this is going to be over $2k. But rumor has it that the company will be offering an A for their dealers to sell, in line with the F5S series instruments, (I heard that from one of their dealers). The similarly appointed varnish A with and engelmann top that Northfield had over the summer for sale was going for $3200, and I believe it was made overseas.

If you look at this from a business and marketing perspective, if they sell the F5S for roughly $2700 made overseas, then selling a US made A with a varnish finish is going to have to be at or above that mark. Otherwise it will kill sales from within their own product offering, (it also is going to cost more to produce here in the US). I think you will find that the pricing on this will be somewhere in the range of a Pava Pro and an MT2.

The imported A model starts at $2500. Logically, I can't see this being any cheaper than those.

9lbShellhamer
Dec-07-2014, 9:57am
The imported A master model is fully appointed though, with full ivoroid binding, etc. So it seems like a bare bones domestic model couldn't be a big jump in price.

I really love the look of the master models...so if the master has all the bling and the varnish finish, etc, then I'd be hard pressed to not buy the master for the same price if the sound is similar.

Mandobar
Dec-07-2014, 11:22am
My choice this past Fall was to buy the varnished A that was offered or their F2s oval hole. I bought the Northfiled oval hole F that my dealer had which was cheaper and a good compliment to my F5s.

I'll be interested to see the actual pricing scheme and where both the M and the import A that dealers will be selling will fall in their overall pricing structure.

Joey Anchors
Dec-07-2014, 11:37am
The imported A master model is fully appointed though, with full ivoroid binding, etc. So it seems like a bare bones domestic model couldn't be a big jump in price.

I really love the look of the master models...so if the master has all the bling and the varnish finish, etc, then I'd be hard pressed to not buy the master for the same price if the sound is similar.

This was my exact reasoning for getting that New-Old-Stock varnished KM900.

Oh it should be here Wednesday of Thursday!

Ron McMillan
Dec-07-2014, 11:38am
The clips on the Northfield page sound wonderful. Very fine-looking instruments, too. It's also great to see another company putting resources into a quality A5. As everyone else says above, the pricing of these is going to be very interesting.

rm

9lbShellhamer
Dec-07-2014, 2:16pm
That varnished KM900 is going to be sweet. It's a score to find a varnished model.

Joey Anchors
Dec-07-2014, 2:26pm
That varnished KM900 is going to be sweet. It's a score to find a varnished model.

Yeah I am excited to say the least!

Also very interested in these NF Model M and their price point.

Nick Gellie
Dec-07-2014, 4:20pm
Based on the videos posted it has a bright modern sound rather than the richer tone of an Ellis or Pava A5 mandolin. It all depends what one wants from the tone of a mandolin.

I like the fact they have done lots of research and it is made in Michigan USA.

I like also that it goes away from the sunburst style of finishing (to reduce cost). It is more in the style of Peter Coombe's mandolins made here in Australia.

I wish Northfield every success with the new model M.

peter.coombe
Dec-07-2014, 5:53pm
Interesting. Sounds quite nice, brighter than mine, but they do use brighter sounding strings. Don't care much for the modern shape, but that is just me. I started that colouring of my maple mandolins probably around 15 years ago, not to save money, but because that is how I like them. It certainly is similar to the Lyon and Healey's. The light top brings out the silking of quarter sawn Spruce, and the back has more of a violin look to it. Gilchrist also uses similar colouring in his Junior models. I was very surprised when I saw his first junior model, we seem to think alike. I just wish I had a microphone like that one in the video, and the mandolin playing skills!

almeriastrings
Dec-08-2014, 12:56am
Based on the videos posted it has a bright modern sound rather than the richer tone of an Ellis or Pava A5 mandolin. It all depends what one wants from the tone of a mandolin.

Very much so. There are distinct "family relationships" between different makers, and even "generational" relationships, i.e. X-braced Gilchrists vs. tone bar models, or Dave Harvey era Ferns vs earlier periods. Certainly so in the case of Ellis/Pava. The Northfields do not sound like any of the above, they seem to have something of their own going on which to my ears is quite distinctive. Lots of volume and "cut", tending toward to the "dry" end of the spectrum. Nicely balanced. I rate them very highly, though there are such a wide range of tonal "families" available these days in high grade mandolins, that you could argue until the cows come home about "best" and "better"! It really is down to personal preference once you get up to a certain level. My view is it makes no difference where something is built. If the skills are there, the materials are good, and the consistency is there, all that really counts is the instrument that emerges at the end. So today, we have a better choice than ever of very fine instruments from the US, Canada, Australia, Europe and China. Take your pick... and be happy there are so many to use it on!

Tommcgtx
Dec-09-2014, 4:09pm
Northfield finally got back to me, and this is what they said:

"Hi Thomas,

Thank you for contacting us and showing an interest in our new Model M. We have had an overwhelming response to the launch of this model and appreciate your patience with us getting back to you.

Here are the details that you have requested:

Pricing for the Model M will be $1799 for the instrument only, and $1899 with case.

Because this is our entry level mandolin and we have chosen to standardize this instrument, we are not taking any custom option requests at this time."

Clement Barrera-Ng
Dec-09-2014, 5:10pm
I got their reply also. Very pleasantly surprised by the price point, and am working hard to tell myself that I don't need one.

Joey Anchors
Dec-09-2014, 6:01pm
Wow.. Such a great deal!

pheffernan
Dec-09-2014, 8:14pm
Pricing for the Model M will be $1799 for the instrument only, and $1899 with case.

Do I win something? :))

bigskygirl
Dec-09-2014, 11:28pm
Emory Lester's demo is pretty good as well, with chording and picking. The mandolin has nice sound and projection and looks great also! Wonder about price-point...

Emory and I have been working on this very song....sounds like he has it....ha! ;)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TYeljEIoxp0

DylanH
Dec-16-2014, 10:57am
Just curious, has anyone received a Model M yet and what do they think of it?

itstooloudMike
Dec-17-2014, 10:18am
According to the response I got from Northfield, the first batch of Model M will be completed and ready for shipment around March 2015. I was told that they will accept a $300 refundable deposit to reserve one now.

LongBlackVeil
Dec-26-2014, 1:29am
Wow that's pretty interesting. Can't say I want one much but kudos to northfield for really stepping out there with something different. I would expect this to be a big seller if it's as good as it seems.

pheffernan
Dec-26-2014, 7:59am
According to the response I got from Northfield, the first batch of Model M will be completed and ready for shipment around March 2015.

Did they happen to mention when the first one would turn up used in the classifieds for roughly 70% of the street price? :))

fscotte
Apr-25-2015, 5:07pm
Anyone know exactly what color of stain they are using on the top? I'm really considering this shade for my next build.