PDA

View Full Version : Mando lessons via Skype?

Caleb
Dec-01-2014, 11:14pm
I'm thinking of taking lessons starting in January. The fellow I'm interested in lessons from is willing to try Skype but neither of us have ever done it. What have your experiences been?

Thanks for any input.

GKWilson
Dec-02-2014, 12:29am
Have him send you the music needed prior to the lesson.
So, it will be printed out and ready.
Because of delay, you won't be able to play together.
Be sure to tape the session so you can go back to it again and again.
Skype has given us all a chance to learn from the best.
Good luck.
Gary

bigskygirl
Dec-02-2014, 1:35am
I've been skyping for about a year now and I think it works out great. Depending on your camera the other person may or may not be looking directly at you. It sometimes looks like they are looking somewhere else but it's just the way the camera is, not a biggie.

Signal and speed can be issues.

Playing together is a challenge but it can be done, we don't play whole tunes but we do manage to play a few things together, there is a delay but if you just play when you hear it on your end it doesn't sound delayed, maybe on the teachers end.......but since he's much, much better than I am it's not an issue.

Do try to get the materials before the session so you can be ready with any questions.

I bought a small recorder and send mp3s so he can give me some feedback, just audio for now but I've been thinking about getting a video recorder for both him and the song of the week social group here.

Other than that it works for me, not really much different than an in person lesson and like Gary said, we have access to very best players now.